What's new

iPhone 5 thread?

According to AT&T's estimates, you'd have to stream 6 hours of music a day, every day of the month, to hit the 5GB bandwidth limit. Six hours. Every day. If that's "useless" to you, so be it.

Throw in some occasional Netflix and Youtube videos and your bandwidth is chewed up real quick due to LTE being faster than most home internet. Luckily I can get Wifi throughout where I am so I don't have to gobble up all my allocated bandwidth.

Looks like my iPhone5 is getting some sightseeing done on its way over :sneaky2:

Incheon, Korea, Republic of09/27/201211:56 P.M.Departure Scan
09/27/20128:00 P.M.Arrival Scan
ZhengZhou, China09/27/20125:00 P.M.Departure Scan
ZhengZhou, China09/26/20127:10 P.M.Arrival Scan
09/26/20125:35 P.M.Departure Scan
09/26/20127:57 A.M.Origin Scan
China09/26/20124:26 A.M.Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Looks like my iPhone5 is getting some sightseeing done on its way over :sneaky2:

It got re-routed through Korea so that the Samsung engineers can have a peek and steal....er, I mean... reverse engineer the next Galaxy model....

:001_cool:

Why did you order your phone from China? Just wondering?

Why did you order your phone from China? Just wondering?

The phone was ordered online from Apple in the wee early morning hours of September 14 2012 ... I didn't get in quick enough to have 1 week delivery. I was a little surprised as well when I checked my UPS tracking no. to see that it was being shipped from the source so to speak and not a distribution warehouse here in the US. Hot of the press I guess!

Wow

Attachments

• $iphone ship.jpg
    $iphone ship.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 50
The phone was ordered online from Apple in the wee early morning hours of September 14 2012 ... I didn't get in quick enough to have 1 week delivery. I was a little surprised as well when I checked my UPS tracking no. to see that it was being shipped from the source so to speak and not a distribution warehouse here in the US. Hot of the press I guess!

Oh, interesting. I had no clue Apple would do something like that. I would have thought you would be on a waiting list until the warehouses here receive shipments.

Oh, interesting. I had no clue Apple would do something like that. I would have thought you would be on a waiting list until the warehouses here receive shipments.

It's kind of odd, really. One would think it would be cheaper for Apple to bulk-ship the phones to the US before UPSing them domestically, unless they have made a deal with UPS getting a volume discount so to speak. As long as my phone arrives in pristine condition, no matter to me I guess :blink:.

It seems like that would be more expensive, but in fact what Apple is doing is taking a few extra steps OUT of the distribution process.

iPhones are manufactured in China and put into retail packaging at source. Rather than put a whole bunch into a box, airfreight it to the US, drop it in a warehouse, unpack everything onto racks and then have local workers fulfill orders and drop them into the domestic UPS/Fedex distribution system, they're taking one extra step and putting each item into an addressed UPS mailer right there in the factory. UPS picks up thousands of them at once, and when they hit the US the entire shipment goes straight into their system and onto trucks the same day. The little bit of extra labor in China is more than paid for by the lower wagers compared to a US factory worker.

Your package went to Korea because Zhengzhou has a small airport and is inland in China, doesn't look like it can handle transcontinental flights. Like the Fedex hub-and-spoke model in the US, cargo moves to regional hub airports for consolidation with other small shipments. Why Korea? Probably because freighter space out of China is at a premium now- the iPhone and a couple other major phones are being released at the same time and everyone is scrambling to get cargo on any flight they can.

(guess what I do for a living! :thumbup: )

It's kind of odd, really. One would think it would be cheaper for Apple to bulk-ship the phones to the US before UPSing them domestically, unless they have made a deal with UPS getting a volume discount so to speak. As long as my phone arrives in pristine condition, no matter to me I guess :blink:.

UPS is a major international air-freight carrier as well as domestic US overland courier. They're contracted to do the whole move door-to-door.

It seems like that would be more expensive, but in fact what Apple is doing is taking a few extra steps OUT of the distribution process.

iPhones are manufactured in China and put into retail packaging at source. Rather than put a whole bunch into a box, airfreight it to the US, drop it in a warehouse, unpack everything onto racks and then have local workers fulfill orders and drop them into the domestic UPS/Fedex distribution system, they're taking one extra step and putting each item into an addressed UPS mailer right there in the factory. UPS picks up thousands of them at once, and when they hit the US the entire shipment goes straight into their system and onto trucks the same day. The little bit of extra labor in China is more than paid for by the lower wagers compared to a US factory worker.

Your package went to Korea because Zhengzhou has a small airport and is inland in China, doesn't look like it can handle transcontinental flights. Like the Fedex hub-and-spoke model in the US, cargo moves to regional hub airports for consolidation with other small shipments. Why Korea? Probably because freighter space out of China is at a premium now- the iPhone and a couple other major phones are being released at the same time and everyone is scrambling to get cargo on any flight they can.

(guess what I do for a living! :thumbup: )

UPS is a major international air-freight carrier as well as domestic US overland courier. They're contracted to do the whole move door-to-door.

Thank you! That was an extremely informative and thorough response.

Guess what I don't do for a living! I love B+B - I learn new things every day :thumbup:.

Liking mine so far. Nice to have Siri after not having it previously. Some of the Apple stores have the Lightning cables in stock (in reference to posts several pages back).

Liking mine so far. Nice to have Siri after not having it previously. Some of the Apple stores have the Lightning cables in stock (in reference to posts several pages back).

Closest one to me is about 100 miles away. Siri is awesome. I like that she has a little bit of an attitude when you mess with her too.

Throw in some occasional Netflix and Youtube videos and your bandwidth is chewed up real quick due to LTE being faster than most home internet. Luckily I can get Wifi throughout where I am so I don't have to gobble up all my allocated bandwidth.

While true, that is beyond the scope of the original statement and context of discussion over streaming music files/mp3s/storage space.

But yes, the vast majority of video/Netflix/etc. streaming will typically be done via WiFi.

Top Bottom