What's new

Introducing the Blackland Era - 100% stainless steel. 3D printed. $75

I’m very happy with the post-shave results from the Era Level 5 OC, however there’s a bit of play with the baseplate, blade, and top cap on my razor. I had a misaligned blade that I had to fiddle with to align properly. Luckily, it’s easy to align with a bit of fiddling and even when it’s not perfect, it doesn’t look or feel dangerous. The fiddly blade was an Astra SP; I’ll try a Perma-Sharp tomorrow.

Anyone else experiencing inconsistent blade alignment?

No problem here, but that is one plate (OC 4) and one blade. Did you use the provided washer between handle and plate? I did, and have not even assembled it without the washer.

I am highly motivated to try this razor with different blades and with the OC 3 plate, the only other I have. I suspect that blade gap is not going to be nearly as significant to this design as to most DE razors I have experienced.

I have already told every other member of my household that I want him, him, and her to try this razor. Light 'beard', heavy beard (neck and detailing only), and a leg shaving cart user. Excellent test subjects!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Mine is fine.
20220222_100155~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Era SB-5
Blade: Perma-Sharp (1)
Brush: Prometheus Churning Candy Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Notes from today's shave: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11663577

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
What is the finish? Most of the pics show a pretty rough look. Not sure if that’s pic quality or an accurate description. Appreciate the reviews guys.

What is the finish? Most of the pics show a pretty rough look. Not sure if that’s pic quality or an accurate description. Appreciate the reviews guys.
The underside of the top cap has manufacturing patterns, while the rest of the razor has something like a bead blast finish. Considering the process used to make these, I expected to see some of the manufacturing marks on the surfaces that don't make contact with the skin. The top cap, handle, and teeth are all smooth with a matte finish. I didn't notice any roughness or drag during the shave. I have always liked the machined versions of Blackland razors. The Era is in the same realm, but it has a slightly different look and feel due to the way they are made... I'm assuming.

What I like most about this razor is it’s clamping vice like ability on the blade edge which mimimizes the vibration and increasing blade edge ridgitity. After a couple of shaves with the lvl 5 SB I wanted a little more efficiency/aggression, so I switched over to the lvl 5 OC and I’m nicely rewarded with a close and comfortable shave. This is a nice razor and worth buying IMHO.

Shave #2 with the ERA #5SB.

I have noticed a couple of posts about medium efficiency and medium smoothness so I had to retest my results. My initial shave claimed super smooth and efficient. Today's shave was just as smooth and even more effiecent than my first shave probably due to using sharper blades.

My first shave was with a GSB blade. Today one side of my face got a shave with Schick/Eversharp blade and the other side of my face got the Longs/Personna blade (both blades from Dalejr). Both of these blades are very sharp and require care and thoughtfulness while shaving. The shave was effortless and although I donated a little more thought to the shave out of respect for the blades the ERA combined with the sharper blades was still as comfortable and easy as with the GSB blade. I will add that the industrial finish is a breeze to clean up. I disassemble and clean my razors after every shave so this is a bonus.

IMG_1827 (002).jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Shave #2 with the ERA #5SB.

I have noticed a couple of posts about medium efficiency and medium smoothness so I had to retest my results. My initial shave claimed super smooth and efficient. Today's shave was just as smooth and even more effiecent than my first shave probably due to using sharper blades.

My first shave was with a GSB blade. Today one side of my face got a shave with Schick/Eversharp blade and the other side of my face got the Longs/Personna blade (both blades from Dalejr). Both of these blades are very sharp and require care and thoughtfulness while shaving. The shave was effortless and although I donated a little more thought to the shave out of respect for the blades the ERA combined with the sharper blades was still as comfortable and easy as with the GSB blade. I will add that the industrial finish is a breeze to clean up. I disassemble and clean my razors after every shave so this is a bonus.

View attachment 1414691
Important to note that we all use different rating systems for efficient and smooth, undoubtedly influenced by our individual faces, skin and beard. :)

I’m very happy with the post-shave results from the Era Level 5 OC, however there’s a bit of play with the baseplate, blade, and top cap on my razor. I had a misaligned blade that I had to fiddle with to align properly. Luckily, it’s easy to align with a bit of fiddling and even when it’s not perfect, it doesn’t look or feel dangerous. The fiddly blade was an Astra SP; I’ll try a Perma-Sharp tomorrow.

I wonder if it’s a blade issue, with a wisamet; and maybe this is just because the blade was in another razor, i have some play between the posts. With a fresh persona, no play or alignment concerns. On Shane’s end, maybe the posts could be bigger to compensate; but a change like that may cause more problems with tolerances then it’s worth.

Overall, I think this is his best design yet, and he should think about selling us level 6, 7, etc. who doesn’t want an 11?

I’d make a few changes, for me (for example, Shane is wrong about knerling, at least for my use case as a shower shaver) but he’s done a lot right with the era.

Shane, one other big question i have about the design, why the undercut in areas other then the lather channel? It seems like it would weaken the safety bar/tines connection points and for the bottom surface where the plate holds the blade; it also seems like it’s going to be harder to clean, so where is the win to this approach?

I've shaved with the era number 4 plate exclusively the last seven days..No issues with mine, it does provide lots of audible feedback..I've shaved with feathers,GSB,, kai,astra,wisamet,and the provided persona's. the feathers feel super sharp in the number 4 plate. if I had the number 3 plate I probally would have dropped down to that to use with the feather blades. I've attempted to included some pics that show the finish. The finish is rather unique, and I'm liking it...Plate Note,I tried the PAA strangelet blades, and they still suck..but they went up a notch in the era..
81B55270-DEBF-4B28-8BC7-C6D765C38E7A.jpeg
683F6882-345F-4E66-8B73-055EDE600BA7.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Are these rubber rings on the handle? Odd. I’ve been studying the pics. Anyone feel like committing on the build quality and heft? I know it’s only $75 retail at some point (assuming these are all beta test samples you received for free) but not sure the look of it is impressing me.

Are these rubber rings on the handle? Odd. I’ve been studying the pics. Anyone feel like committing on the build quality and heft? I know it’s only $75 retail at some point (assuming these are all beta test samples you received for free) but not sure the look of it is impressing me.
The o-rings are shipped with the razors to be used if wanted. Not imbedded or anything like that.

I don’t have one yet but have read that the handle seems to be quite hefty (but not heavy or overweighted).

As for the heft, the handle is 72g and the head is 27-28g depending on plate. All of these you see are production, paid for with one's own money. Unless you are watching Youboob, then all bets are off! :wacko:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
As for the heft, the handle is 72g and the head is 27-28g depending on plate. All of these you see are production, paid for with one's own money. Unless you are watching Youboob, then all bets are off! :wacko:
Thanks. I only asked because I have not seen the era actually available for sale. I had signed up for email notification and as of right now they are not for sale.

Me as well! I’ll probably give in to temptation eventually though. Btw, if you have instagram following Blackland on there is a good way to get updates
Okay. I followed this thread and had signed up for notification but alas was out of the loop. I also checked the website periodically too. After doing some more checking I see it’s sold out. As I need a new razor like a hole in the head this set of circumstances saves me $75.

Top Bottom