What's new

Introducing the Blackland Era - 100% stainless steel. 3D printed. $75

Nice! Maybe some string or tape off the bottom 3 spots?
Blackland ERA #5 SB First Shave

Razor: ERA #5 SB
Blade: GSB
Cream: Castle Forbes (Lime)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 3

The ERA arrived this morning. I loaded it with a GSB blade for the first run. This is not my preferred blade but a blade that I prefer for a first shave with any new razor acquisition. I tend to prefer sharper vintage blades (Brit Wilkies, 74’s, and Schick Supers (green and white label). I think that Med Preps would also work well with the ERA.

I have tried many Gillette Vintage razors from Crats to Techs and have found them to be as advertised on B&B, very smooth and comfortable shavers but never efficient enough for me.

The ERA is as smooth as any vintage razor that I have tried including the modern assortment of the RazoRock line of smoothies.

The bottom line, the ERA is exceptionally efficient and exceptionally smooth. Without measuring how long this shave will hold up to some late evening whisker growth the shave closeness mimics the Blackbird. The Blackbird shave may be slightly closer and last a little longer but the ease of use will have you reaching for the ERA as often as you reach for the Bird. I appreciate that the low profile of the head is lower than the Timeless Slim.

If you love polished razors then your only disappointment will be with the finish. I think that the finish is outstanding and will be easy to maintain. However, all of my Blackland razors have been matte finished because I think that it promotes the concept of Shane’s razors.

I am not sure why you would need the bands on the handle because the handle is very secure in hand without the bands. I would not use another base other than the #5 base unless I decided to get the #5 OC.

I am not a very patient shaver so the “Bird” and a sharp blade get called to action when I have the time to pay attention and enjoy a morning shave. The ERA needs no thought, apply soap, load a blade and get busy. No thought required, use it anytime.

The ERA will not replace the "Bird" but it will get a spot in the den in between the "Bird" and the Vector.

The value of this razor reminds me of how underpriced the Blackland Dart was. Get this razor before it goes to $99.00!

ERA.jpg

Shane, I haven't even used my razor yet and I want to know if you are going to be offering all the parts in the future? I would like to get a 4 SB plate AND cap since I have plenty of handles. I anticipate an extended testing regime and would like to not have to constantly take everything apart to try a different plate. Thanks.

Shane, I haven't even used my razor yet and I want to know if you are going to be offering all the parts in the future? I would like to get a 4 SB plate AND cap since I have plenty of handles. I anticipate an extended testing regime and would like to not have to constantly take everything apart to try a different plate. Thanks.

We are unlikely to make the top cap available independently. The economics working out is dependent on the razor being sold assembled.

Thanks for the great write up! The easiest way to get grip rings on only the top three is to put in all six and then remove the bottom three. Or you can use a fingernail to help get them over the first three positions.
Thanks for the suggestion. What are the size of the orings so they can be purchased in case they break or get lost?

My Era arrived today, I ordered on 02/02, it's an OC 3 and an different SB plate. Being an evening shaver, I didn't have to wait to try it out. I REALLY like the design; the low profile head, the blade clamped near the edge, the design of both the safety bars, etc. I checked the blade exposure before taking it to my face, it's exactly as expected. With a normal width blade, it just barely catches. I compared it to several razors I have. The real surprise was how much gap there is, about Henson medium. I would say the blade feel is about the same despite the lower exposure on the Era, but the comparison should stop there due to the radically different designs. I had the worst shave I have had in a week, actually in pain right now. I won't even bother going into detail, this has to be a bad blade. Next shave won't be until Monday, I will probably try the Lab Blue.
Time for my medication
:a54:

Mine is going back, it's not getting a second chance at my face after I discovered the problem(🤐). Let's see how good the customer service is before I either make myself look like a fool or cause Blackland a bunch of trouble. 😬

based upon Blackland website photos, I was anticipating this razor was a dark matte black/charcoal color?

Looks a LOT lighter in these Buyer photos…

A bit of a let-down…

Mine is going back, it's not getting a second chance at my face after I discovered the problem(🤐). Let's see how good the customer service is before I either make myself look like a fool or cause Blackland a bunch of trouble. 😬

Shoot us an email and we’ll take care of it immediately. Things happen, but we’re quick to resolve issues and make them right.

based upon Blackland website photos, I was anticipating this razor was a dark matte black/charcoal color?

Looks a LOT lighter in these Buyer photos…

A bit of a let-down…

Are you looking at the updated photos on our website or maybe thinking of a few months ago? We were going to launch with a black finish a d we decided to scrap that. The photos on our site are accurate to the raw stainless finish.

I am feeling in a cheerful mood today and the problem with my razor is being resolved by Blackland. So with that said, I present tonights frankenrazor:

IMG_0068 3.jpg

I won't say what the parts are, but the baseplate is a #1SB. I tested the feel and it's slightly negative exposure still. I will get back to testing the full razor later this week. 🥴

Blackland ERA #5 SB First Shave

Razor: ERA #5 SB
Blade: GSB
Cream: Castle Forbes (Lime)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 3

The ERA arrived this morning. I loaded it with a GSB blade for the first run. This is not my preferred blade but a blade that I prefer for a first shave with any new razor acquisition. I tend to prefer sharper vintage blades (Brit Wilkies, 74’s, and Schick Supers (green and white label). I think that Med Preps would also work well with the ERA.

I have tried many Gillette Vintage razors from Crats to Techs and have found them to be as advertised on B&B, very smooth and comfortable shavers but never efficient enough for me.

The ERA is as smooth as any vintage razor that I have tried including the modern assortment of the RazoRock line of smoothies.

The bottom line, the ERA is exceptionally efficient and exceptionally smooth. Without measuring how long this shave will hold up to some late evening whisker growth the shave closeness mimics the Blackbird. The Blackbird shave may be slightly closer and last a little longer but the ease of use will have you reaching for the ERA as often as you reach for the Bird. I appreciate that the low profile of the head is lower than the Timeless Slim.

If you love polished razors then your only disappointment will be with the finish. I think that the finish is outstanding and will be easy to maintain. However, all of my Blackland razors have been matte finished because I think that it promotes the concept of Shane’s razors.

I am not sure why you would need the bands on the handle because the handle is very secure in hand without the bands. I would not use another base other than the #5 base unless I decided to get the #5 OC.

I am not a very patient shaver so the “Bird” and a sharp blade get called to action when I have the time to pay attention and enjoy a morning shave. The ERA needs no thought, apply soap, load a blade and get busy. No thought required, use it anytime.

The ERA will not replace the "Bird" but it will get a spot in the den in between the "Bird" and the Vector.

The value of this razor reminds me of how underpriced the Blackland Dart was. Get this razor before it goes to $99.00!

View attachment 1412544
Any more details regarding the difference between the Era and Blackbird? Sounds pretty similar for a massive price difference!

Any more details regarding the difference between the Era and Blackbird? Sounds pretty similar for a massive price difference!
I shaved with my Brass Blackbird 2 days before I shaved with my ERA. I hadn't used my Blackbird for a while, mainly since I have so many razors. It was a pleasure to use but I didn't take my time and got bit, but that was my fault entirely. It was very efficient maybe giving up some smoothness. This was with the OC plate.

I would say I do prefer the heavier weight of the Brass Blackbird. One thing I guess I noticed and not necessarily a gripe, is the ERA plates seem overly thin and lightweight. I guess it is a pro since it is lower profile than many plates, but it makes it seem fragile in comparison to something like Karve or Rockwell plates. I was surprised how light the ERA plates are. The handle and ERA stand feel much heavier almost like a different type of SS.

The ERA shave in comparison seemed like I could have shaved on autopilot but I was cautious as I was using a new Lab Blues blade with the level 5 OC plate. The audible feedback was very similar to the Blackbird and I found that aspect appealing. Next shave will be the SB5 plate and I may just do a late night shave tonight.

Are you looking at the updated photos on our website or maybe thinking of a few months ago? We were going to launch with a black finish a d we decided to scrap that. The photos on our site are accurate to the raw stainless finish.

Yes - my comments were based upon the "teaser photos" that appeared on your website when the product was announced, several months ago.

I was unaware the dark color was scrapped...(wish it wasn't!)
The darker color gave this product some unique panache.
The final color/finish is pretty un-inspiring, in comparison. (in my opinion)

Yes - my comments were based upon the "teaser photos" that appeared on your website when the product was announced, several months ago.

I was unaware the dark color was scrapped...(wish it wasn't!)
The darker color gave this product some unique panache.
The final color/finish is pretty un-inspiring, in comparison. (in my opinion)

Fair enough. I also wanted the black finish which is why we started with it. You can read about the decision to remove it and why it was the right decision here. We may bring a black finish at some point in the future.

Recieved my era today, unfortunately I find it a bit mild even with the 5 oc plate.

I guess that makes sense considering I'm a daily shaver with the Ti bird (I even have two). Mine won't be going back however, I'm happy to leave my money in Shane's hands. It helps that I expected this and have a friend in mind who I anticipate will really appreciate it.

Last edited:
My first impression: epochal. Will that judgement stand up?

My level 4 OC feels extremely mild. It is also incredibly smooth and efficient. And it radically locks the blade edge and controls the interaction between edge and stubble. This is a brave and uncompromising design.

This is absolutely the razor to hand to a new DE shaver. It could write finis to the legend of the Tech. It ought to kill cartridge shaving entirely. It might even drive styptic pencil sales to near zero.

ERA 4 OC compared to Karve OC-D
Look especially at the blade reveal and the comb reveal.
5796AAFF-CE40-4C3D-9445-49EE7E7401FC.jpeg

B09B11E3-50A1-4792-B345-916F30367B7A.jpeg

2C5FF68A-0675-4A40-83E7-85C800D3774B.jpeg

My first impression: epochal. Will that judgement stand up?

My level 4 OC feels extremely mild. It is also incredibly smooth and efficient. And it radically locks the blade edge and controls the interaction between edge and stubble. This is a brave and uncompromising design.

This is absolutely the razor to hand to a new DE shaver. It could write finis to the legend of the Tech. It ought to kill cartridge shaving entirely. It might even drive styptic pencil sales to near zero.

ERA 4 OC compared to Karve OC-D
Look especially at the blade reveal and the comb reveal.
View attachment 1414276
View attachment 1414278
View attachment 1414277
This is said very well. Regardless of this razor not having a plate that matches my preferences (yet), the design is - at the least - impressive. The edge to edge clamping is unrivaled and I can't imagine a more rigid design.

I have theorised that the 3 and 4 are going to lie on either side of the C plate based on actual blade exposure. My OC3 plate has the same gap as published for the C plate, but I believe even less blade feel(exposure). Waiting on restock to get a SB4.

Top Bottom