What's new

Intertwined Tests: Soap molecule size AND Fusion 5 vs. Mach 3

The lather is how you make it. I can lather up the thickest lather you've ever seen or I can run the thinnest lather possible...all with the same soap..
While I've found that to be true to a point, there is still the X-factor of the fundamental ingredient list and that varies from soap to soap. For example, no matter what I do with Mystic Water (see recent test), it's not going to come out as thick and rich as CRSW or Mikes. Not that "thick and creamy" is one bit better for any given shaver than a thinner / sudsier soap is.

@OP

do you more prefer creams or soaps?
I think at least for me cream works better because I usualy leave cream on my face for around 45sec-1 min
But with fusion, wilkinson sword cream worked the best, then creams then all other soap.

@OP

do you more prefer creams or soaps?
I guess I don't have enough experience to say definitively, however am going on nearly 40 soaps and there's no clear pattern. If forced to choose I really like soaps in a wider tin... something about lathering them up right in the tin, then optionally dripping into a scuttle that really works to create that shave den experience.

But in terms of shaving effectiveness I'm agnostic, will try either.

SHAVING TEST
Type: One soap, two razors
Razors: Mach 3 vs. Fusion 5

Soap: DR Harris Lavender (a competitor in the Northern Bracket Soap Competition here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-rated-quot-shave-soaps-Northern-Bracketology

The soap was lathered in a warmed scuttle. Start time: 830pm with 36+ hours beard.

Test method: Shave one side face with Mach 3 using DRHL Soap, the other side w/ Fusion 5 and DRHL. Basically a 3-pass shave plus minor touch-up. Looking for around 2 strokes per facial area per pass.

Scent: A very pleasant delicate scent. Appropriate for any setting.

Lather: 3.5+/5. Solidly above average on the richness scale. Easy to titrate consistency by adding/withholding water. Applies evenly.

Glide: 2.5/5. Average.

Residual slickness: 2.5/5. Average

Nicks: 1.5-2/5 with the F5, leaving numerous micros around upper lip and adjacent cheek/chin. A bit better with the M3, say around 2.5-3/5.

Sensitivity and comfort: Skin was left feeling a bit sore after this shave with both razors

Closeness: Not tracked due to problems with nicks and sensitivity.

Post-shave impressions: Nice delicate scent. However there was lingering irritation, some dryness, and too many nicks.

Result: This soap will not advance further in these trials.

SHAVING TEST
Type: One soap, two razors
Razors: Mach 3 vs. Fusion 5

Soap: Il Coloniali (IC, a competitor in the Northern Bracket Soap Competition here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/498163-Side-by-side-tests-of-10-quot-top-rated-quot-shave-soaps-Northern-Bracketology

The soap was lathered in a warmed scuttle. Start time: 630pm with 36+ hours beard.

Test method: Shave one side face with Mach 3 using IC Soap, the other side w/ Fusion 5 and IC. Basically a 3-pass shave plus minor touch-up. Looking for around 2 strokes per facial area per pass.

Scent: Rates very high in the “mild to moderate” strength category. Delicious, natural sweet scent appropriate anywhere.

Lather: Easily titrates. I’ve found it gets up to around a 4-4.25/5 on the richness scale. However for me it seems most efficient if diluted just a tad to around 3.5-4/5.

Glide: If too rich it tends to tug a bit. Add a dash of H2O and glide is around 2.5-3/5.

Residual slickness: Ditto, around 2.5-3/5.

Nicks: , A very solid 4/5 with the M3, only one real micro-nick. A few more with the F5 so around 3-3.5/5 there.

Sensitivity and comfort: Slightly sensitive at first during the shave. The initial post-shave feel is very comfortable and perhaps slightly moisturized. I frankly love this face feel such as shaved, moisturized and slightly “cool”.

Closeness: Immediately post-shave the F5 feels slightly closer but also slightly more sensitive.

Post-shave impressions: Awesome delicate scent that is very natural and non-industrial smelling. Not the greatest glide. Some tugging could be related to “soap bits” in the blades, a technique error. Applies with a very nice even lather consistency.

4.5 hours, M3 side: Light palpation ATG = 0.5 stubble. Deep palpation = 2 stubble. Just not great performance and the M3 will no longer be tracked.
4.5 hours, F5 side: Light palpation ATG = 0 stubble. Deep palpation = 0.5-1 stubble. Super comfortable with a mildly “moisturized” feel.

6 hours, F5 side: Light palpation ATG = 0 stubble. Deep palpation = 0.5-1 stubble, scattered with no continguous “patches” palpated. Great comfort continues.

8 hours, F5 side: Light palpation ATG = 0 stubble. Deep palpation = 1+ stubble, scattered, still very minimal. Great roundish and moist face feel.

10 hours, F5 side: light palpation ATG = 0 stubble. Deep = 1+ to 2 stubble. Zero visible stubble

12 hours, F5 side: light palpation ATG = 0 stubble. Deep = 1+ to 2 stubble. Still a visibly clean shave look. Micro stubbles poking out on very close inspection.

Summary: Delivers a solid 11-12 hours super clean looking shave with the F5, but not with the M3. Great scent and nice mid-richness lather quality.

Result: This soap with the F5 razor advance as a possible finalist in the Northern Bracket

really nice tests! no winner for tabac with mach3?
i use just tabac with mach3 just feel its pretty good combination.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I applaud your testing. What I determined with carts was that thinner consistency was better, especially as the number of blades on the head climbed or the space between them decreased.

Basically the wrong combo causes the razor to hydroplane which either means you use more pressure to get the job done or you get a less close shave.

This next paragraphs are not directed at anyone here, but a view point I've arrived at.

I'm kind of opinionated on this point: You don't need "protection" from a soap or cream, you need to learn how to control your razor. If you need protection built into the cream, then your technique lacks.

I shaved with an R41 for a month is last year. I used various soaps. I even buffed with nothing but water at times. I didn't cut my face to ribbons. I just changed the pressure according to what was needed. I carve wood, on that task I'm fairly ambidextrous and I'm that way on shaving. Maybe I was blessed with better than average motor control in my hands, but I think anyone could do what I did assuming they are healthy and don't have some nerve problem. I think razor hopping amongst many in a rotation somewhat hampers getting the best shave.

I would go so far as to say, if you took two people equally motivated in obtaining a BBS. One that has 10 razors in a rotation and one that only owns one razor. The person owning one razor is going to get the better shaves consistently. (The other guy may get more enjoyment out of using different razors, but he has an uphill battle concerning relearning and adjusting technique per razor).

Chandu I generally agree with you that focus on one razor is the way to maximize the efficiency of that razor. I also agree that there can be enjoyment from using a variety of razors. Both those are my experience. What I have noticed is some mornings physically/mentally I am not ‘up to’ the skill level required to get a blood free, irritation free shave with my R41, or Futur wide open. I am over 70 so maybe the age issue is part of what is going on. While I seek a DFS/BBS shave every day I find some days using an EJ DE89, Fusion Proglide, or Sensor gives me the the best shave and less and less often I go to one of my more aggressive razors with confidence and get the result I desire. Indeed it is getting so I am seriously thinking of selling off most of my 30 DE razors to shavers who can use and enjoy them.

Top Bottom