What's new

International Pipe Smoking Day 2/20

Craaaaap I forgot. I'm on my 2nd cigar ( fallen angel and la pearla wide)right now and I never smoke 2 back to back. I guess ill have to take a break and light a bowl tonight. Pics to follow.

I did end up going to the Mission Pipe Shop today for their pipe tobacco blending event with Lane and Peter Stokkebye tobacco and blends and I'm glad I did, it was a fun time. We were given a bowl and a little plastic shot cup and asked to blend up our own winning blend from thirteen numbered canisters of tobacco and blends from Lane and PS, not being told the contents of each canister.

$Blend Jars (Small).JPG

Not being an aro smoker, I picked out what I thought smelled and looked good and guessed that I picked some latakia so I called my entry Yak's Lat? Blend. There were eleven of us who blended up bowls and once that was done, we commenced to smoking bowls and were asked to pick two winners each, but the two picks had to be different. The winner would get a pound of their own blend to take home and have their blend featured as a tobacco of the month at the shop. I'm glad that I brought my pocket pipe with me, even still I feel like I wasted a lot of unsmoked pipe tobacco trying to get through all eleven blends in a reasonable amount of time and rank them. That gave us all time to wander the shop and socialize and enjoy the tobacco.

$Competition (Small).JPG

$Sampling (Small).JPG

After the votes were tallied, I came in tied for second place. I might have won had I voted for my blend, which turned out to be half a part PS Dark Fired Kentucky, one part Lane Medal of Valor, one part Latakia, and one and a half parts PS Highland Whiskey. We all got to take home the rest of our blend (I had 0.6 oz left in the bowl) as well as a nice pipe stand, a pipe tool, and a book of matches and second place winners got to pick a tin of pipe tobacco, I grabbed the Escudo Navy De Luxe. The shop provided soft drinks and sweet breads.

$Swag (Small).JPG

I had such a good time I picked up some cigars to help show my appreciation for the event, two Crowned Heads Mason Dixon Project Limited Edition MMXV Southern Edition cigars and two La Palina Mr. Sam Robusto cigars. The tobacco provided in the canister for blending were:

1. Lane BCA (Cavendish)
2. PS (Peter Stokkebye) Cherry (# 3)
3. PS Dark Fired Kentucky
4. Latakia
5. Perique
6. PS Toasted Burley
7. Lane 1-Q
8. PS Bright Virginia Ribbons
9. Lane Buttered Rum
10. Lane Medal of Valor
11. PS Highland Whiskey
12. PS Black Coffee
13. Oriental

I hope that they do this again next year, it was a great time and a great way to celebrate the day.

I did end up going to the Mission Pipe Shop today for their pipe tobacco blending event with Lane and Peter Stokkebye tobacco and blends and I'm glad I did, it was a fun time. We were given a bowl and a little plastic shot cup and asked to blend up our own winning blend from thirteen numbered canisters of tobacco and blends from Lane and PS, not being told the contents of each canister.

View attachment 639076

Not being an aro smoker, I picked out what I thought smelled and looked good and guessed that I picked some latakia so I called my entry Yak's Lat? Blend. There were eleven of us who blended up bowls and once that was done, we commenced to smoking bowls and were asked to pick two winners each, but the two picks had to be different. The winner would get a pound of their own blend to take home and have their blend featured as a tobacco of the month at the shop. I'm glad that I brought my pocket pipe with me, even still I feel like I wasted a lot of unsmoked pipe tobacco trying to get through all eleven blends in a reasonable amount of time and rank them. That gave us all time to wander the shop and socialize and enjoy the tobacco.

View attachment 639077

View attachment 639079

After the votes were tallied, I came in tied for second place. I might have won had I voted for my blend, which turned out to be half a part PS Dark Fired Kentucky, one part Lane Medal of Valor, one part Latakia, and one and a half parts PS Highland Whiskey. We all got to take home the rest of our blend (I had 0.6 oz left in the bowl) as well as a nice pipe stand, a pipe tool, and a book of matches and second place winners got to pick a tin of pipe tobacco, I grabbed the Escudo Navy De Luxe. The shop provided soft drinks and sweet breads.

View attachment 639082

I had such a good time I picked up some cigars to help show my appreciation for the event, two Crowned Heads Mason Dixon Project Limited Edition MMXV Southern Edition cigars and two La Palina Mr. Sam Robusto cigars. The tobacco provided in the canister for blending were:

1. Lane BCA (Cavendish)
2. PS (Peter Stokkebye) Cherry (# 3)
3. PS Dark Fired Kentucky
4. Latakia
5. Perique
6. PS Toasted Burley
7. Lane 1-Q
8. PS Bright Virginia Ribbons
9. Lane Buttered Rum
10. Lane Medal of Valor
11. PS Highland Whiskey
12. PS Black Coffee
13. Oriental

I hope that they do this again next year, it was a great time and a great way to celebrate the day.
Sounds like a great event and a great place. Nice to have a good B&M around. :thumbup1:

well for pipe day I thought I'd stick with a P theme. Some Penzance in my peterson. Here's to you [MENTION=36529]oc_in_fw[/MENTION]$IMG_20160220_195117_hdr.jpg

Happy IPSD everyone!
I came down with some bug yesterday so unfortunately no smokes for me today.
I did however put in two hefty orders!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow Chris...that looks like a GREAT time at the 'baccy shop. Wish I had a tobacconist here...I may have to move back to a bigger town.

Congrats on your place in the contest!!!

Some nice pics. and smokes are coming up now.

My last humble entry for tonight.

For Bing...C&D Crooner in a Savinelli, accompanied by a Macallan single malt.

Happy IPSD to all.

Attachments

• $IMG_0007.jpg
    $IMG_0007.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 123
Here's my IPSD in a nutshell: four nice bowls of four great tobaccos in four of my favorite pipes.

$DSCF4131.jpg

Around the world (well, the western hemisphere, anyway) - US to Denmark to Italy to England. I was planning to bring it back home with the Rad, but my tongue is crying uncle.

Hope everyone had a great International Pipe Smoking Day!

Mike that looks wonderful! Wish I could join you. I just finished a legendary 60 year old home blend recipe.

Now I'm smoking a bowl of 9 year old And So To Bed.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Enjoying some GLP Westminster in my Peterson. I think this is going to be the last bowl of the day.

I am finishing up the holiday by smoking some 11 year old 2015 in a JBK Poker that I have had for so long I forget when or where I got it. It has been a good day for smoking because I was unable to sleep today. Now I am at work and must try to stay awake.

Agreed. Boston Lager opened, good movie (Catch Me If You Can) just came on, so recliner and relax it is for me.

Another great year everyone!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456028051.935603.jpg

Worked today but managed to have a bow of Golden times of yore in the Pete for breakfast and a bowl of oriental silk in the IMP for lunch.

Happy IPSD everyone!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice meer Alejandro. Is that a palm pistol I see under the stem of your Peterson, and is it the Chicago or Minneapolis one?

Mike that looks wonderful! Wish I could join you. I just finished a legendary 60 year old home blend recipe.

Now I'm smoking a bowl of 9 year old And So To Bed.

Wish you could join me also...I'd love to share some of that 60 year old recipe over a libation and some good conversation.

I may just do what Price was saying...bring it home with some Carter Hall or Prince Albert in Dad's old no-name drugstore pipe. I went from U.S. to England to Italy...now back home. I missed Denmark.

3 Oaks Syrian in my just cleaned this week Peterson Donegal Rocky Silver Band paired with an Old Fashioned.

I also pulled the trigger on my first Tinsky tonight!

Happy IPSD!!!
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456029455.856592.jpg

Top Bottom