What's new

International Pipe Smoking Day 2/20

I met with a friend tonight outside a local coffee shop and enjoyed a couple bowls of (the newly released) Bengal Slices in the Peterson spigot Jim West gave me this fall, while my friend smoked some Balkan Sasieni from his cob. I also picked up a Sav 320 Roma from SP yesterday. I'm looking forward to giving that one a spin.

I did end up going to the Mission Pipe Shop today for their pipe tobacco blending event with Lane and Peter Stokkebye tobacco and blends and I'm glad I did, it was a fun time. We were given a bowl and a little plastic shot cup and asked to blend up our own winning blend from thirteen numbered canisters of tobacco and blends from Lane and PS, not being told the contents of each canister.

View attachment 639076

Not being an aro smoker, I picked out what I thought smelled and looked good and guessed that I picked some latakia so I called my entry Yak's Lat? Blend. There were eleven of us who blended up bowls and once that was done, we commenced to smoking bowls and were asked to pick two winners each, but the two picks had to be different. The winner would get a pound of their own blend to take home and have their blend featured as a tobacco of the month at the shop. I'm glad that I brought my pocket pipe with me, even still I feel like I wasted a lot of unsmoked pipe tobacco trying to get through all eleven blends in a reasonable amount of time and rank them. That gave us all time to wander the shop and socialize and enjoy the tobacco.

View attachment 639077

View attachment 639079

After the votes were tallied, I came in tied for second place. I might have won had I voted for my blend, which turned out to be half a part PS Dark Fired Kentucky, one part Lane Medal of Valor, one part Latakia, and one and a half parts PS Highland Whiskey. We all got to take home the rest of our blend (I had 0.6 oz left in the bowl) as well as a nice pipe stand, a pipe tool, and a book of matches and second place winners got to pick a tin of pipe tobacco, I grabbed the Escudo Navy De Luxe. The shop provided soft drinks and sweet breads.

View attachment 639082

I had such a good time I picked up some cigars to help show my appreciation for the event, two Crowned Heads Mason Dixon Project Limited Edition MMXV Southern Edition cigars and two La Palina Mr. Sam Robusto cigars. The tobacco provided in the canister for blending were:

1. Lane BCA (Cavendish)
2. PS (Peter Stokkebye) Cherry (# 3)
3. PS Dark Fired Kentucky
4. Latakia
5. Perique
6. PS Toasted Burley
7. Lane 1-Q
8. PS Bright Virginia Ribbons
9. Lane Buttered Rum
10. Lane Medal of Valor
11. PS Highland Whiskey
12. PS Black Coffee
13. Oriental

I hope that they do this again next year, it was a great time and a great way to celebrate the day.

Man, when I saw the post about you heading to the event, there just wan't enough time to make it up there. Looking at the pictures, I wish I could have made it. Oh well. I'll have to keep it in mind for next year. I still haven't made it up to Mission, I'll have to swing in there some day soon.

Today was a fantastic day for my first ever partaking in IPSD. I had a wonderful smoke with my newly acquired pipe that [MENTION=38491]Price[/MENTION] so generously PIFed me. Along with the pipe, there was a nice variety of tobacco samples. I smoked a full bowl of Patriot Flake (it seemed appropriate) while I enjoyed a nice walk through one of Portland's oldest and most aesthetically interesting cemeteries. The Flake tasted great and the weather was sublime. I couldn't of asked for a better day.

Cheers fellas [emoji1303]

A day late but happy IPSD! I managed a bowl of Penzance in a Tinsky yesterday. Hope to have time for a post IPSD bowl today.

Happy Belated IPSD! I did not get around to lighting up yesterday, but am using my Sunday morning to catch up. Price PIF'd me some tobacco for the event! I'm amazed at his generosity. He sent me 4 blends, a few bowls worth of each.
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456073547.508885.jpg

After reading his descriptions, i decided to go with mellow mallard first, which coincidently is what he used first as well!

My first bowl this morning was Mellow Mallard in my new Walt Cannoy.

It was very enjoyable. Easy to light and to keep lit. Very little bite, and only at the end. Probable the best bowl I've ever tried. But that's not saying much.

Thanks Price!

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456073761.824539.jpg

Happy Belated IPSD! I did not get around to lighting up yesterday, but am using my Sunday morning to catch up. Price PIF'd me some tobacco for the event! I'm amazed at his generosity. He sent me 4 blends, a few bowls worth of each.
View attachment 639235

After reading his descriptions, i decided to go with mellow mallard first, which coincidently is what he used first as well!

It was very enjoyable. Easy to light and to keep lit. Very little bite, and only at the end. Probable the best bowl I've ever tried. But that's not saying much.

Thanks Price!

View attachment 639237
Are these all aromatics?

Man, when I saw the post about you heading to the event, there just wan't enough time to make it up there. Looking at the pictures, I wish I could have made it. Oh well. I'll have to keep it in mind for next year. I still haven't made it up to Mission, I'll have to swing in there some day soon.

It was fun, too bad you heard about it too late. Mission Pipe is a nice shop for pipers, they have a lot of cigars there too and are pretty helpful, but sometimes I like to go over to West Coast Cigar to light up a stick, very different atmosphere, you can brown bag your own beverage and sit by the fire pit. West Coast Cigars is a bit rougher around the edges and doesn't carry much in the way of pipes or pipe tobacco, though.

The winner of the blend was someone named Sven, I believe with a blend called Mossy Brook. it was my favorite, too bad I didn't get a chance to jot down the ingredients.

Oh, and to clarify, I was one of three people who tied for 2nd. I'm looking forward to trying the Escudo Navy De Luxe, but I'm going to wait until I've used up the tobacco in the tins I've already opened first. I'm also looking forward to smoking more of my Yak's Lat blend.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It was an unexpectedly busy (but gorgeous) day, but I managed to enjoy a few more puffs of Penzance for the occasion, and I picked up some favorite blends and a couple things I've wanted to try.

Oh, and I might've bought a pipe or few.

Funny.... For international pipe "smoking" day, I've seen more posts about people buying stuff than folks smoking stuff!

Haha yup. Just like women and clothes. Buy stuff we won't ever get to or only have once or twice.

I'm very guilty!

Sadly, I was at an event all day Saturday and so exhausted when I got home I crashed out immediately. I had a nice bowl of PH Dark Strong with the morning coffee, at least. Over all though I've greatly increased how often I enjoy a pipe, so I'm still feeling my pipe hobby is very alive and well. :)

Sweet. I'm going to have to try this, and if it works I'll bring a pound of sugar to Vegas next year.
That's where I learned that trick. Remember the old guy from Phoenix we were sitting with? He had little McDonald's sugar packets in his bag.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
That's where I learned that trick. Remember the old guy from Phoenix we were sitting with? He had little McDonald's sugar packets in his bag.

Damn, you were holding out on me while I was nursing a hair tongue. :001_tt2: I must have missed that tip over dinner. Too busy gearing up for the whisky tasting.

Top Bottom