What's new

Interesting, funny, odd colloquialisms

Like a wolverine on a waffle, (Extremely Hungry)
Bury the Hatchet, (meaning to make peace between two or more adversaries)
Shine like a Diamond in a Goats A**, (Shine Brilliantly)

I'm on a roll, N0 PUN intended!
Run like a striped A**ed Ape, (MMM,Just heard it)
Run like a scalded dog, (Very fast)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
"Hold on young man. There's dew on that lily."

That may have raised an eyebrow. If I every mention that I have to "shake the dew off the lily," in not talking about finishing a drink.

I heard one that I hadn't heard in a long time. "She looks like nine miles of bad road."

Back in Wales where I come from you'd hear conversations like this....

Mrs Thomas: "I hear poor Bethan's gone..."
Mr Pritchard: "Is it?
Mrs Thomas: "Funeral on Friday..."
Mr Pritchard: "Oh, very good, very good..."
Mrs Thomas: "Family only..."
Mr Pritchard: "Well there we are, then..."

Gareth: "Morgan's built himself another kit car.."
Meurig: "He do do that.."
Gareth: "Burst into flames on the way to Maesteg..."
Meurig: "Gotta laugh, see....gotta laugh..."

Last edited:
I've written about this elsewhere, but can't find it here. So, here goes...

"Make sure you tip the waitress well."

The term "Tips" originated among the American militiamen during the Revolutionary War. Whereas we give a gratuity after a meal if the service was good, militiamen gave a tip beforehand - when they ordered the meal. This was because they couldn't wait around very long for their food to be prepared, as they could be summoned away at a moments notice. So, they would include something extra to expedite their meal - one of those tips (To Insure Prompt Service).

A few sayings I'd like to know about:

"She's out of your league!" The meaning is clear, and it's probably a sporting phrase.

"See you on the funny papers." Meaning "See you later!" But it's an obsolete phrase now.
My wife thinks it has something to do with the comic's section of a newspaper. I think it might be how comic strips are "running" stories, and you always check back in to catch up on what's happening. But that's just a guess. It'd be interesting to learn the usage.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Kaiser:
How about;

"If life is like being in the "Wizard of Oz"...don't forget your magic shoes". The Southern book of Wisdom

southern_states.gif
"[Of] All the sweetest winds, they blow across the South". Ryan Adams

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php

$The Southern States.jpg "The South is more than a region (or a saying, phrase or interesting funny odd colloquialisms perhaps)...its a state of mind, and Southerners seem forever returning there". The Book of Southern Wisdom

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
My father was a military man, so he had a million of them. One that springs to mind, when I would dress up to go out he would tell me "you look like a pox doctors clark." I never knew what that meant, but, coming from him, I knew it was not complimentary. :sneaky2:
I just remember another my dad would say. You would buy yourself something like a nice jacket or shoes. He would look at it and say "you look like a rat with a gold tooth", and walk off.

Legion

Staff member
Australia has a lot of good insults.

A few of my favorites. “a head like a half sucked mango seed”. “has a face like a dropped pie”. “A face like a bulldog eating a wasp”.

During my working years, whenever a boss would want something done quick, I would say, "I'll be on it like a chicken on a june bug". I first heard it at college in KY in the 60s, but I've used it ever since. My wife (from KY) gets annoyed when I say it.

Years ago we vacationed in Maine. I asked the owner of a bakery about some of his cookies he had for sale. "Oh, they are wicked good, family recipe from years ago." I stared at him. I looked at my wife. I looked back at him. He looked at me. I got stuck on the verbal conflict in his sentence. In the midwest, wicked = bad. Very, very bad. The gears began to engage and mesh in my head and I bought a few cookies ever so tentatively.

Fast forward to last week. I was on the phone with a retailer in Canada. Discussing business he commented several times, "Ah, that is wicked." I was ready this time and agreed that it is a good thing. Gads, the English language is an odd one!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Years ago we vacationed in Maine. I asked the owner of a bakery about some of his cookies he had for sale. "Oh, they are wicked good, family recipe from years ago." I stared at him. I looked at my wife. I looked back at him. He looked at me. I got stuck on the verbal conflict in his sentence. In the midwest, wicked = bad. Very, very bad. The gears began to engage and mesh in my head and I bought a few cookies ever so tentatively.

Fast forward to last week. I was on the phone with a retailer in Canada. Discussing business he commented several times, "Ah, that is wicked." I was ready this time and agreed that it is a good thing. Gads, the English language is an odd one!
I came back from Boston with a T shirt for my wife that said "Wicked smaht!"
It's the cat's meow!

Top Bottom