What's new

Interesting correspondence from Revisor

Thank you for continuing to post more information. Personally, I am of the opinion that a Man of 90 years young who has been an expert in his trade for 75 years bears a great deal of respect and has a lot more credibility than some may feel he deserves.

I for one appreciate his experience using a strop as well as you providing your personal knowledge of his life.
I agree with this completely!

I am certainly in no position to question what has worked for a Master Craftsman for nigh on 70 years. It's easy to sit back and say that that's not how we do it, but it's worked for this gent his entire life... Who are we to say he's been doing things incorrectly that entire time?
I just wish I had half that knowledge.

I’m interested to learn more about the application of the brass thumb ring.

The brass thumb ring.
It is used to test the thickness and bend of the lower part of the razor during grinding the blankets.

When you grind a razor, you first grind the lower part to the edge, than the hollow and after that you form the belly and thin out the blade from belly to edge. While forming the belly, the blade gets thinner and thinner until you can see a clear bend in the blade while testing on your thumb nail or brass ring. This bend has to go all the way through from the edge into the belly until the belly reaches the hollow.
At the end of the grinding process and also later during polishing, the thickness must be checked continiously. One stroke too much in the grinding machine and the blade gets too thin and becomes trash. You also have to keep in mind the following steps of polishing while.

Tried to make a photo in my workshop. Just began here to form the belly, with grinding bands in the parts of the later belly. Hope you can see the bend, which is not that pronounced at this stage of grinding.

Brass_thumb ring.jpg

Interestingly, Werner Breidenbach himself never used a brass ring. He said he has more sensitivity testing the bend on his thumb nail. But that’s of coarse a hard prove for the stability of your nail, testing hundrets of razors a day this way.:p

Stay sharp! hatzicho

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A very informative post Peter. My razor today was a 7/8 Friodur 14, maybe ground by Herr Breidenbach himself? They’re very well ground and shave incredibly well. He might like to see a pair still going strong.

I have to admit though, I use Japanese natural stones to maintain them, like the one that they are sitting on.

IMG_0314.jpeg

Top Bottom