What's new

Interested in getting into Straights but.

The two razors idea makes a lot of sense and probably makes my decision for me. I can't really afford to go above 200 for the razor(s) as I still also need a strop (and have to convince the wife that this "silly idea" I have isn't going to cost us a fortune. I know it eventually will, in fact, cost us a fortune, but I need to make it look like it won't at first.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
One of our members here sells shave ready gold dollars in the marketplace and on the bay. I've bought several from him and they shave very well and since he finishes on a nice vintage coticule the shaves are super smooth. Plus, he offers 6 months free honing, which is unheard of.
That would let you know if it's something you're going to like and stick with, and when you upgrade to a better razor you could use the gold dollar to practice honing on. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also buy two NTS razors from The Superior Shave, and then they get free life time honing as well, and stay under the $200 mark as well. Don't forget though to buy a strop, though definitely buy a cheapy one first, or one that is modular (ie the strip of leather that the razor contacts is replaceable).

I also highly recommend buying some kind of oil spray (Ballistol is cool, I am using Hoppes no.9 currently, as I already had it and it is skin safe - checked the MSDS :)) and a method of storing your razors, be it stand or one of those roll up sacks.

Thanks again for all of the advice guys, I think two NTS razors is going to be the way to go, love the idea of lifetime free honing. I'll post when I get my stuff in.

Excellent choice! I own one of the NTS Solingen razors and it is a great little razor. The Superior Shave is one of the best vendors out there, too.

You could save a little by buying one NTS and one Whipped Dog/honed GD/etc, or you could go with one NTS and one Boker or something too, lots of options, but a couple of the NTS is also a good choice. Mine has cel scales and is fine, no need to spend extra for wood if you don't want to.

Last edited:
I never had a barber shave that was comfortable outside of Italy. Modern hairdressers (sometimes called barbers) just don't have the skills of the old continental barbers. Plus use of a shavette rather than a real straight also detracts from the experience.

Top Bottom