What's new

Input on Simpson's

I own a couple of Simpson's brushes, both of which were purchased before the company was sold. I've been considering adding another, but wanted to hear from some gents that own both old and new productions.

Are there noticeable differences? Are the knots still as densely packed? Is the hair quality still the same? Are they still built with the same quality?

Thanks,

TL;DR

There are a few differences between old and new Simpsons but for the most part they are all very high quality brushes.

If you buy one and have a problem with it contact Vulfix and they'll do their best to make things right.

And as for my personal take on the matter...

I think the new Simpsons Best and Super are actually superior to the old Simpsons, but the new Two-band brushes can still have a lot of variation. Unfortunately it's a bit of a gamble as you could get one with a very pointy bulb-shaped knot. However, the Simpsons vendor on B&B seems very serious about addressing this issue, so I do have hope for the future.

The Vulfix produced brushes are excellent. Now, if Vulfix would just revert to the fan shaped knot of yore :cursing:

And as for my personal take on the matter...

I think the new Simpsons Best and Super are actually superior to the old Simpsons, but the new Two-band brushes can still have a lot of variation. Unfortunately it's a bit of a gamble as you could get one with a very pointy bulb-shaped knot. However, the Simpsons vendor on B&B seems very serious about addressing this issue, so I do have hope for the future.

Spot on, Hunter! :thumbup1:

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Its already been stated here as to the problems. The brushes started out well, and are densly packed, but the gamble of getting a bulb shape is definitely there.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I only have experience with the new Simpsons made by Vulfix, and currently own four brushes (Chubby 1 Super, Duke 3 Best, Classic 2 Best and Colonel X2L Best). These brushes are simply fantastic. The hair grade is of the highest quality, the knots are very densely packed (in particular on the Chubby and Duke series) and the performance with both soaps and creams is outstanding. The Simpsons brushes are, in my opinion, the finest in the World. :thumbup:

Last edited:
The Vulfix produced brushes are excellent. Now, if Vulfix would just revert to the fan shaped knot of yore :cursing:
I would have to agree with this. I have had no shedding issues or cracked handles with the Vulfix Simpsons. The current best badger hair exceeds much of the silvertip hair offered by various manufacturers. It's that good, and usually densely filled.

Concerning the bulb vs. fan shapes of the recent Simpson brushes, much of the back and forth debate can be seen in this recent thread badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=177585

You can remedy the problem on knot shape if you buy your simpson from Thesuperiorshave.com because Jarrod is now listing the simpsons models individually from actual stock. You can actually see and select the exact brush that you will be buying. I think it is really a fantastic idea because now you can bypass the simpsons crapshoot of what kind of knot you are gunna get. I bought my t3 two band from the site using this new listing and everything was top notch, and my brush was the exact one i picked out. Highly recommended.

I highly reccomend Jarrod also. My mother used some of her AMex points for mine or it would have come from there. I still got lucky though.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You can remedy the problem on knot shape if you buy your simpson from Thesuperiorshave.com because Jarrod is now listing the simpsons models individually from actual stock. You can actually see and select the exact brush that you will be buying. I think it is really a fantastic idea because now you can bypass the simpsons crapshoot of what kind of knot you are gunna get. I bought my t3 two band from the site using this new listing and everything was top notch, and my brush was the exact one i picked out. Highly recommended.

+1, if you buy un-seen, you may end up with a total different shape than the picture shows online, so the idea of Superiorshave is great and is also a great customer service.

Wow, that IS interesting. Also, the individual prices are DIFFERENT, depending on the symmetry of the knot, I guess.

I really appreciate the input, men. From the statements made thus far, I think my only concern would be avoiding a bulb knot.

It sounds like the best grade has not changed much if any, and in my opinion, there is no reason to "upgrade" beyond best badger within this brand. If and when I pull the trigger, I'll kick out a comparo and let you guys know what I think.

Thanks again,

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I really appreciate the input, men. From the statements made thus far, I think my only concern would be avoiding a bulb knot.

It sounds like the best grade has not changed much if any, and in my opinion, there is no reason to "upgrade" beyond best badger within this brand. If and when I pull the trigger, I'll kick out a comparo and let you guys know what I think.

Thanks again,

In all honesty, some of the best hair has been equal to the old super. They do make a great brush, but those shapes are just to inconsistent right now.

Wow, that IS interesting. Also, the individual prices are DIFFERENT, depending on the symmetry of the knot, I guess.

Yeah, The Superior Shave is the place to go for Simpsons because you can pick the exact brush you want. I'm not sure I get or agree with the variation in prices, but whatever... it's a great site and I've ordered two brushes from Jarrod with good service.

Also, I've been happy with all my Simpson brushes, but luckily haven't received any of the ones with severe bulb shapes that I've seen pictures of. The ones I have, in fact, all have more of a fan shape than bulb shape.

Top Bottom