What's new

"Inoffensive, workmanlike odor"

franz

Moderator Emeritus
Lately, I've been reaching more and more for MWF and Valobra stick. To me these two soaps epitomize the idea of "workmanlike" in scent: no-frills, simple, vanilla-y, soap-smelling. At the same time, these blue-collar workers are pure royalty when it comes to performance. They whip up gobs of creamy, slick, nourishing lather without complaint and without offending anyone's delicate olfactory sensibilities. :wink:

What is your favorite soap(s) with a plain, "workmanlike" odor? (Does this term even mean anything?)

What does it smell like?

djh

Moderator Emeritus
I certainly base my soap selection on performance and those two are favourites, Francesco. I would add Palmolive stick and also Wilkinson Sword stick to those two- both clean, soapy tallow goodness.

arko>speick>wikinson sword>palmolive>>>>>>>>>>>valobra>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cella

speick wins the scent contest AINEC

disclaimar:ymmv yada yada

MWF is definitely one of those, and Volobra stick is good (though I don't really like sticks). Pre de Provence is like that to me. Simple scent, great lather, not too smelly.

I know the scents of the Italian soft soaps can be considered "offensive" in some of them (most of them), but the price is very blue collar. A kilo for 10 Euro (in Italy) is very affordable.

Arko is workmanlike, only if you work as a public restroom attendant.

franz

Moderator Emeritus
I keep seeing Palmolive stick mentioned - I'll have to investigate that.

wow, I ready inoffensive WOMANlike odor. I was really really confused.
Inoffensive womanlike odor? The Institut Karité thread is over here. :wink:

Last edited:
Palmolive is certainly around the top of the bang-for-the-buck category. I tried it for the first time the other day, and never would have dreamed that a little, cheap stick like that could give such outstanding performance. Definitely first-rate!

P

Pjotr

Seems that all the popular soaps have suddenly developped workmanlike odours! Out of the soaps I've got/have used the only one that fits that description is Valobra. And although I'm not quite sure what is meant by workmanlike, I can safely say that Valobra has hints of "sweaty plumber with a butt crack and BO" odour. So on this basis it's most definitely what I would call workmanlike. Very good lather, which is the only reason it's still around. Just because somebody's got a butt crack and bad personal hygiene doesn't mean they're a bad plumber, so I almost forgive the offensive odour. Bareably inoffensive I'd say.

Actually thinking about it I'd put Fauldings in the same category but that's uniquely Australian and a cream so doesn't really count.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems that all the popular soaps have suddenly developped workmanlike odours! Out of the soaps I've got/have used the only one that fits that description is Valobra. And although I'm not quite sure what is meant by workmanlike, I can safely say that Valobra has hints of "sweaty plumber with a butt crack and BO" odour. So on this basis it's most definitely what I would call workmanlike. Very good lather, which is the only reason it's still around. Just because somebody's got a butt crack and bad personal hygiene doesn't mean they're a bad plumber, so I almost forgive the offensive odour. Bareably inoffensive I'd say.

Actually thinking about it I'd put Fauldings in the same category but that's uniquely Australian and a cream so doesn't really count.
Have yet to try our local Fauldings, is it as bad as i hear?

P

Pjotr

It lathers just fine. Compared to any cream I've since used, the scent is pretty average. If it was a choice between Fauldings and a bar of hand soap and I was on a desert Island I'd choose Fauldings. It smells better than Valobra. And given that it's just about the only el-cheapo shaving cream you can find in Australia you have to give a try. You can't possibly call yourself an Australian wet shaver if you don't.

I have MWF, Palmolive stick and Wilkinson stick on the way. Arlington too. Can't wait.

I certainly base my soap selection on performance and those two are favourites, Francesco. I would add Palmolive stick and also Wilkinson Sword stick to those two- both clean, soapy tallow goodness.