What's new

"Inoffensive, workmanlike odor"

Lately, I've been reaching more and more for MWF and Valobra stick. To me these two soaps epitomize the idea of "workmanlike" in scent: no-frills, simple, vanilla-y, soap-smelling. At the same time, these blue-collar workers are pure royalty when it comes to performance. They whip up gobs of creamy, slick, nourishing lather without complaint and without offending anyone's delicate olfactory sensibilities. :wink:

What is your favorite soap(s) with a plain, "workmanlike" odor? (Does this term even mean anything?)

What does it smell like?

I certainly base my soap selection on performance and those two are favourites, Francesco. I would add Palmolive stick and also Wilkinson Sword stick to those two- both clean, soapy tallow goodness.

arko>speick>wikinson sword>palmolive>>>>>>>>>>>valobra>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cella

speick wins the scent contest AINEC

disclaimar:ymmv yada yada

MWF is definitely one of those, and Volobra stick is good (though I don't really like sticks). Pre de Provence is like that to me. Simple scent, great lather, not too smelly.

I know the scents of the Italian soft soaps can be considered "offensive" in some of them (most of them), but the price is very blue collar. A kilo for 10 Euro (in Italy) is very affordable.

Arko is workmanlike, only if you work as a public restroom attendant.

I keep seeing Palmolive stick mentioned - I'll have to investigate that.

wow, I ready inoffensive WOMANlike odor. I was really really confused.

Inoffensive womanlike odor? The Institut Karité thread is over here. :wink:

Last edited:
Palmolive is certainly around the top of the bang-for-the-buck category. I tried it for the first time the other day, and never would have dreamed that a little, cheap stick like that could give such outstanding performance. Definitely first-rate!

P

Pjotr

Seems that all the popular soaps have suddenly developped workmanlike odours! Out of the soaps I've got/have used the only one that fits that description is Valobra. And although I'm not quite sure what is meant by workmanlike, I can safely say that Valobra has hints of "sweaty plumber with a butt crack and BO" odour. So on this basis it's most definitely what I would call workmanlike. Very good lather, which is the only reason it's still around. Just because somebody's got a butt crack and bad personal hygiene doesn't mean they're a bad plumber, so I almost forgive the offensive odour. Bareably inoffensive I'd say.

Actually thinking about it I'd put Fauldings in the same category but that's uniquely Australian and a cream so doesn't really count.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems that all the popular soaps have suddenly developped workmanlike odours! Out of the soaps I've got/have used the only one that fits that description is Valobra. And although I'm not quite sure what is meant by workmanlike, I can safely say that Valobra has hints of "sweaty plumber with a butt crack and BO" odour. So on this basis it's most definitely what I would call workmanlike. Very good lather, which is the only reason it's still around. Just because somebody's got a butt crack and bad personal hygiene doesn't mean they're a bad plumber, so I almost forgive the offensive odour. Bareably inoffensive I'd say.

Actually thinking about it I'd put Fauldings in the same category but that's uniquely Australian and a cream so doesn't really count.
Have yet to try our local Fauldings, is it as bad as i hear?

P

Pjotr

It lathers just fine. Compared to any cream I've since used, the scent is pretty average. If it was a choice between Fauldings and a bar of hand soap and I was on a desert Island I'd choose Fauldings. It smells better than Valobra. And given that it's just about the only el-cheapo shaving cream you can find in Australia you have to give a try. You can't possibly call yourself an Australian wet shaver if you don't.

I have MWF, Palmolive stick and Wilkinson stick on the way. Arlington too. Can't wait.

I certainly base my soap selection on performance and those two are favourites, Francesco. I would add Palmolive stick and also Wilkinson Sword stick to those two- both clean, soapy tallow goodness.

Top Bottom