What's new

injector revisited

I had a pretty poor shave earlier today with a DE. Something wasn't clicking- I was using an American Personna blade that only had been used once, but it wasn't smooth sailing as it had been before. Also, I used some distilled, hot water mixed in with some unscented KMF and it just lathered like crazy but had no lubrication (a touch too much water- when it's soft it really lathers). No irritation but lots of stubble left over on my neck.

So, later I figured I'd take another swipe at it with my 40's injector. My face was feeling fine, no razor burn, so off I went. This time I used regular hot tap water and the lather was perfect. I have also finally figured out the whole "angle" thing on the injector (basicly, there isn't one, you hold it almost flat against you face, with no pressure- right? It finally clicked by reading up on GEM single-blade razors, and it just finally struck me you gotta hold the blade almost parallel with the skin). This bit had been confusing the heck out of my but now I think I've got it. Anyways, it was a fairly aggressive shave on the downward pass on my neck, took the stubble way down. I tried for an upward pass but there was too much tugging and I could tell if I persisted, I'd nick myself on the neck under my chin. Overall I'd say this is a close shave, though, closer than I've gotten with a DE- and with fewer passes. My face got a little irritation but nothing major (now my crap Parker DE, that gave me some serious razor burn... it is now permanently retired). So, in short, I'm impressed, but I think maybe the injector is a little too aggressive on the against-the-grain pass, which is really necessary to get that ultra-smooth shave.

Sounds like you need to focus on your angle with the against the grain pass. A few shaves won't get you there. A couple of weeks worth should have everything in fine working order. I'm glad you like the injector. I've yet to get a decent shave with one, but I've not devoted the proper time to do so.

Randy

I've never used the '40s injector, but everything I've read here leads me to believe that those earlier injectors like you're using are more aggressive than later ones. I've got a late-50s/early 60s J-1 and have never had a thought about it being too aggressive.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I find that the JBHoren method of holding the injector has made a big improvement for me. That, and the Schick blades.

I find that the JBHoren method of holding the injector has made a big improvement for me. That, and the Schick blades.

Don't elucidate, it's more fun trying to figure out where J.B. might have posted his super secret method of holding the razor!:001_tongu But Jay, what really catches my eye is your note on Schick blades. I am not sure which I find to be worse, the Schick or the Personna blades. I found the Pella's, purportedly the ASRCO/Personna in OEM form, fairly good and the Personna II twin edge (unfortunately antiques) excellent.. But the Schicks have been very poor performers for me. Obviously, YMHV (Your Mileage Has Varied)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Sorry about the brain fart, Ron. The technique is to hold the injector between thumb and index finger at the point where the handle meets the head, with the remaining three fingers (unless you're polyactyl :lol: ) curling arong the length of the handle. This position seems to help hold the head flat against the skin.

As for the blades, I find the Schicks much better than the Personnas. I really do need to try the Pellas, though. Perhaps that's why I don't use the injectors all that much.

Sorry about the brain fart, Ron. The technique is to hold the injector between thumb and index finger at the point where the handle meets the head, with the remaining three fingers (unless you're polyactyl :lol: ) curling arong the length of the handle. This position seems to help hold the head flat against the skin.

As for the blades, I find the Schicks much better than the Personnas. I really do need to try the Pellas, though. Perhaps that's why I don't use the injectors all that much.

Good show.. It is a very natural way to hold the razor. :wink2:

I've got Schick's and Personnas and honestly cannot tell a huge difference between them- they both work for several shaves just fine. Injector blades are made out of thicker steel, too.

I've also got a later Schick type in the mail today (it looks like a late 60's or 70's model), gonna fix it up and try it out, to see if there is any difference. It is a pitty these razors fetch more of a premium than decent DE's like the Gillette Tech... there is a huge demand for them. A razor that cost 2 bucks starting out is now going for over 30.

I had a run with an adjustable injector last year. I used the CVS (Personna) blades and found them to be decent. I found the injector to be more tolerant of poor angle, but no where near the feedback of a DE. I could get equally great shaves with both, but the experience of the DE was missing on the injector.

Magnulus, keep looking around on ebay. I've scored a number of injectors in the sub-$10 range.

I actually started out with my injector rather than a DE, because the DE I chose (a Parker) was junk, instant razor burn. When I got a decent DE it was a big revelation.

I love my injector, but I can't do all four passes with it. I have to switch razors to my Tech to get a comfortable shave. I have a injector from the same time frame, and it either: a) is too aggressive, or b) the CVS blades are not sharp enough. While it might help, I don't like ordering things (Pella blades, in this case) online, and I'd rather just get IP's in town to use with my Tech.

Originally Posted by guenron
Good show.. It is a very natural way to hold the razor. :wink2:
True, but counterintuitive to someone used to holding a DE by the tip of the handle.
I for one have never figured out why anyone would want to do this. I started shaving with my father's hand-me-down 40's Tech in 1956 and have always held razors pretty much like he did, although the closeness to the head may vary some depending on the razor. Seems natural to me...

I had a run with an adjustable injector last year. I used the CVS (Personna) blades and found them to be decent. I found the injector to be more tolerant of poor angle, but no where near the feedback of a DE. I could get equally great shaves with both, but the experience of the DE was missing on the injector.

Magnulus, keep looking around on ebay. I've scored a number of injectors in the sub-$10 range.

Well, not quite sub-$10, but this J1 I got is close <click here>. I got 11 blades from CVS for abut $4.50, and they give me 3 really nice shaves, remarkable since I only get 2 shaves from Feathers, with twice as many edges...:biggrin:

That is an interesting grip- it looks sort of like how alot of people hold modern cartridge razors. I suppose one problem with this grip is that it will transmit inward/downward forces from the hand easier into the razor, since there is more potential leverage on the head. I tend to hold the razors like a dart on the end. This works very well for Gillette Tech's. It doesn't seem to work so well with the Merkur HD, because it is not as textured on the end of the handle. I tend to use a slight highter and beefier grip (more fingers involved) with the Merkur HD as a result.

That is an interesting grip- it looks sort of like how a lot of people hold modern cartridge razors.
And most of the first people to hold a cartridge razor (1971, Trac II) were people who had learned to shave holding an old-fashioned DE razor! So naturally, they held them the way they were used to!:biggrin: But as Ron pointed out, it's the most natural way to hold a razor, be it DE, injector, GEM, or cartridge. (But not a str8!)
I suppose one problem with this grip is that it will transmit inward/downward forces from the hand easier into the razor, since there is more potential leverage on the head.
It's not a problem (for me), it's a feature! Yes, you have much more control, you can exert too much pressure, too little, or just the right amount. You not only have more control, but if you want a good shave, you must use that control. Works for me, YMMV...:wink:

Top Bottom