What's new

Injector cleaning question?

I recently acquired a couple of injectors that are in need of some TLC. They have some green tarnish/antique razor crude in some pretty hard to reach areas. What is the best method to cleaning up old injectors? I have on hand: scrubbing bubbles/alcohol/barbicide/abrasive toothpaste etc. If I require a metal polish, please specify the brand/type and how best to use it. Thanks gents!

I'd start with the Scrubbing Bubbles to soften up the crud followed by a thorough scrubbing. If that doesn't get rid of everything, I've had good luck with MAAS polish...Q-tips and toothbrushes work well for getting into the tight corners. I use a small screwdriver to hold the razor open while I clean it.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I've had good luck with MAAS also. Try & avoid soaking the plastic injector handle in alcohol, trust me I know .. Also helpful for me in getting old injectors that don't have the opening type heads is dental floss, which will drag alot of unsightly stuff out of the crevices in the blade compartment & around the spring rivets

If it's got gold plating get a polish that's made for gold, or brass. I soaked mine for 10 minutes in barbacide after giving it a good cleaning with Lysol disinfectant and a toothbrush. After using the disinfectant and the toothbrush I let it dry then I polished it with Neverdull cotton wadding. After wiping off the NeverDull I soaked the razor in Barbacide for 10 minutes and then rinsed and dried it. If your injector has a nickel plating on it use a polish like Wrights Silver polish on it.

Clayton

I've had good luck with MAAS also. Try & avoid soaking the plastic injector handle in alcohol, trust me I know .. Also helpful for me in getting old injectors that don't have the opening type heads is dental floss, which will drag alot of unsightly stuff out of the crevices in the blade compartment & around the spring rivets

Thanks for the tip on the dental floss, I'm gonna try it.

Clayton

Thanks for all the great tips. I am going to place an Amazon order for some MAAS polish and pipe cleaners to keep in my razor cleaning stock.

Another helpful tool is a thin bamboo skewer. First, insert the injector key into the razor, but don't send a blade in. Insert the skewer into the other side near the corner of the head. When you remove the key, the head will remain slightly open to allow all the cleaners to do their thing inside.

Top Bottom