What's new

Induction cook plate

I'm thinking of getting an induction cooking/hot plate. Nothing fancy, just want a portable, single plate to use on our kitchen island. I'll probably be using it with cast iron pans and a large cast iron wok.

Any suggestions for a reliable, solid value? I'd like to keep it under 100 bucks.

I'd just like to point out some of my favorite portable induction cooktop features.

1800 watts is usually the maximum amount of power suitable for a 15 amp household outlet. You want the most power you can get for tasks like boiling pots of water, etc. You can always set a lower power level. Too low wattage rating and you will find the burner struggling.

A seamless glass surface is better than those that have membrane type switches. Seams and edges can trap dirt, so you will enjoy a seamless top more. Membrane switches can get damaged if too close to a hot pan. Touch sensitive switches are sealed under glass.

You want a larger diameter induction coil under the glass. Don't be fooled by graphic designs, it doesn't necessary correspond to the actual burner size.

Time and temperature settings, not just power level. My cooktop has 15 settings for temp and power, which is granular enough. I find the timer very useful so I can do something else without worry something will boil dry or overcook.

Make sure the lowest temperature setting is not too high to simmer properly. Simmering for a long time is something that some of these cooktops cannot do very well.

Auto shut-off. Most have this, but you want it to be long enough not to shut off in the middle of your long-cooking recipes.

A quiet fan. Some of these burners have a fan that just roars. I like a peaceful kitchen.

A reasonably long and heavy power cord. I like to use my cooktop to cook outside in nice weather. A long power cord is nice for this.

Be aware many of the cooktops have quite a large footprint for a single burner. Much larger than your typical hotplate.

Last edited:
I'd just like to point out some of my favorite portable induction cooktop features.

1800 watts is usually the maximum amount of power suitable for a 15 amp household outlet. You want the most power you can get for tasks like boiling pots of water, etc. You can always set a lower power level. Too low wattage rating and you will find the burner struggling.

A seamless glass surface is better than those that have membrane type switches. Seams and edges can trap dirt, so you will enjoy a seamless top more. Membrane switches can get damaged if too close to a hot pan. Touch sensitive switches are sealed under glass.

You want a larger diameter induction coil under the glass. Don't be fooled by graphic designs, it doesn't necessary correspond to the actual burner size.

Time and temperature settings, not just power level. My cooktop has 15 settings for temp and power, which is granular enough. I find the timer very useful so I can do something else without worry something will boil dry or overcook.

Make sure the lowest temperature setting is not too high to simmer properly. Simmering for a long time is something that some of these cooktops cannot do very well.

Auto shut-off. Most have this, but you want it to be long enough not to shut off in the middle of your long-cooking recipes.

A quiet fan. Some of these burners have a fan that just roars. I like a peaceful kitchen.

A reasonably long and heavy power cord. I like to use my cooktop to cook outside in nice weather. A long power cord is nice for this.

Be aware many of the cooktops have quite a large footprint for a single burner. Much larger than your typical hotplate.

Very helpful. Thank you.

May I ask which hot plates you have used?...and might recommend, based on the criteria you listed?

Very helpful. Thank you.

May I ask which hot plates you have used?...and might recommend, based on the criteria you listed?
I don't think the particular brand I've got is being sold currently. A lot of these cooktops are rebranded units from the same factories, though.

Mine seems pretty similar to this Duxtop model. One feature that is nice about it is that it can work as a portable cooktop, or be dropped into a cut-out in a countertop to make it look like a built-in unit. Just be aware more expensive built-in units run at 220 volts, with much higher wattage rating.

Dropping it into a cut-out reduced the noise level quite a lot. It is a bit loud otherwise, like a quiet microwave oven. Also, it simmers better using the low power levels instead of the temp levels.

Last edited:
I don't think the particular brand I've got is being sold currently. A lot of these cooktops are rebranded units from the same factories, though.

Mine seems pretty similar to this Duxtop model. One feature that is nice about it is that it can work as a portable cooktop, or be dropped into a cut-out in a countertop to make it look like a built-in unit. Just be aware more expensive built-in units run at 220 volts, with much higher wattage rating.

Dropping it into a cut-out reduced the noise level quite a lot. It is a bit loud otherwise, like a quiet microwave oven. Also, it simmers better using the low power levels instead of the temp levels.

Thanks.

I would be using it on our kitchen island with granite countertop, which has a 110 outlet, so portable is what I would be interested in. Not modifying the granite anytime soon.

Thanks.

I would be using it on our kitchen island with granite countertop, which has a 110 outlet, so portable is what I would be interested in. Not modifying the granite anytime soon.
This can work either as portable or drop-in type. I think it is fairly similar to the other unit you have mentioned, just different appearance.

I think mine may have a larger coil, that one in your cart is around 6 inches in diameter.

This can work either as portable or drop-in type. I think it is fairly similar to the other unit you have mentioned, just different appearance.

I think mine may have a larger coil, that one in your cart is around 6 inches in diameter.

Is a 6" coil the most common size, and a good starting point?...or would it be beneficial to look at another, larger size?

I'm just looking for some honest, real-world experience and opinion. I would rather spend a few bucks more for a unit that performs better, than to buy something and not be satisfied and/or need to return it.

Buy once, cry once...(but not cry TOO hard 🙂).

I was wanting one and gave up for now
Reason the magnet/coil size is the huge issue with almost all being really small in the portable and wanting to use larger pans
the cost was to high on true larger coil and will just wait to redo the kitchen one day :)

used to do a lot of wok cooking on a gas 30k btu burner which I sometimes even wanted more out of :) so for me true wok cooking has to be gas and has to be in that super high heat unless its more just for the shape ?

Also a huge fan of carbon steel over cast iron for the way I cook and wanting that faster reaction to temp so might also be a rabbit hole to go down and get and try a bunch as once I got one WOW game changer for cooking IMHO :) but like razors YMMV why so many chefs also like carbon for cooking over cast and while cast has its place its a niche IMHO :)

for built in induction Thermador would be my choice after a ton of research

Is a 6" coil the most common size, and a good starting point?...or would it be beneficial to look at another, larger size?

I'm just looking for some honest, real-world experience and opinion. I would rather spend a few bucks more for a unit that performs better, than to buy something and not be satisfied and/or need to return it.

Buy once, cry once...(but not cry TOO hard 🙂).
With induction, you will only get heat where the coil is. Unlike gas or conventional electric, there's hardly any convective heat transfer around the sides of the pan.

If you mainly cook with smaller pans, or boil pots of water, a smaller coil size can work OK. Otherwise, you will notice only the center of your pot getting hot. Depending on what you are doing, this might be an issue.

Part of the reason for a smaller coil size is the portable cooktops are made to be lightweight, inexpensive and smaller wattage. You'd have to pay a lot more for a professional type unit.

I was wanting one and gave up for now
Reason the magnet/coil size is the huge issue with almost all being really small in the portable and wanting to use larger pans
the cost was to high on true larger coil and will just wait to redo the kitchen one day :)

used to do a lot of wok cooking on a gas 30k btu burner which I sometimes even wanted more out of :) so for me true wok cooking has to be gas and has to be in that super high heat unless its more just for the shape ?

Also a huge fan of carbon steel over cast iron for the way I cook and wanting that faster reaction to temp so might also be a rabbit hole to go down and get and try a bunch as once I got one WOW game changer for cooking IMHO :) but like razors YMMV why so many chefs also like carbon for cooking over cast and while cast has its place its a niche IMHO :)
There are professional induction wok ranges that cost big bucks. The woks are usually carbon steel. The induction coils are not flat, but curved to fit the bottom of a wok.

You are right that larger coils are usually found in higher power units. As well as multiple burners in different sizes.

Cast iron can work well on induction, but it is best for slow, steady cooking. It takes some time for the pan to come up to temperate or to change temperature. With thinner carbon steel, the heat change is immediate, similar to gas.

I bought a Duxtop last spring as my first induction cooker. I was immediately blown away by it and it has been used regularly since. Last summer it was used almost daily. Amazing technology.

I have this model: Duxtop E200A

proxy.php

Top Bottom