What's new

In Turkey you give your guests After Shave

I guess Kolonya is the Turkish interpretation of the french word Cologne, meaning the german city Köln, from where we get Kölnischer Wasser or in french eau de Cologne.

Very interesting an enlightening post! More of this kind, please!

I always enjoy reading about the customs and traditions of other cultures.

:eek:)
Perkus

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Well, its not officially called After Shave but its called Kolonya.

Every Turkish house has this and its a alcohol based liquid with lemon essence.

When you get guests to your house you offer them kolonya in their palm and then you splash it on your face if you want.

http://www.us-tr.com/icerik/gelenek/kolonya.html
George:
Very enlightening...but the link mentioned "You are likely to be offered cologne not only in homes, but on intercity buses, whose passengers are looked upon as guests". Some years ago while in Istanbul, the only cologne offered to me on the streets and buses was 'imitation/fake/clones' of major brands but not Kolonya.

Anyways, do you a 'link or website' that sells (and ships to the U.S.), the kolonya brand name 'Bogazici'?

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
Yes it's cologne. Lemon (limon) is very popular in here. Tobacco cologne too. But lemon in every house :)) Popular because cologne is traditional in Türkiye and not expensive scent. After meal, after toilet, restaurants, old barbers... give your palm cologne and sometimes sugar :) And old times was using as aftershave balm Arko Krem, Arko Nem (moisturizer). Still popular in army, hands, faces...

Last edited:
Yes it's cologne. Lemon (limon) is very popular in here. Tobacco cologne too. But lemon in every house :)) Popular because cologne is traditional in Türkiye and not expensive scent. After meal, after toilet, restaurants, old barbers... give your palm cologne and sometimes sugar :) And old times was using as aftershave balm Arko Krem, Arko Nem (moisturizer). Still popular in army, hands, faces...

I'm curious about the orgin and purpose of this custom? I would assume it has something to do with freshening up...or is there something more implied?

Right. Some people still using as an after shave. Maybe not work for aftershave on everybody because high alcohol about 70-80 degree :lol:

Freshening, cleaning, scent, disinfecting, also cooling-relaxing when you get little sick, when feel bad.... On holidays everybody dressing with new clothings and visiting each other, treating cologne, sugar, sweet... And give money to children tradition :))

Very interesting link. I guess all "Eau de Colognes" have those essential citrus and herb ingredients. Also, it's quite interesting how people actually ingested eau de cologne considering that it's been proven that the limonene in citrus has an antimicrobial effect.

Not going to drink any Trumpers though.

Today i just finished my shave with the Pe-Re-Ja lemon cologne and it's a fantastic feeling, it smells like real fresh lemon juice, not artificial flavor here.

S

Sydney Guy

Where can one obtain this Kolonya?

I've seen it in a Middle Eastern barbershop in Sydney, in 1 Litre bottles labelled "Kolonya Limon". They had 3 different brands IIRC. If there's a Turkish neighbourhood in Melbourne, look for barbershops there.

It's pretty good stuff and has many uses I imagine. As a cologne and air freshner too for some cultures. Comes in spray and splash as well. Many larger sizes as well.

Comments from a Turkish friend:

The cologne thing is not specific to males. It is common practice to offer a lemon cologne to your visitors upon their arrival after they sit down. My take on it is to disinfect hands because it is very high in alcohol and quickly evaporates and lemon leaves a refreshing scent and feel.

I have bottles of Duru and Taris kolonya I found at a local Turkish market, both smell very lemony, kind of like those moist towelettes you get at KFC. I like them and will replace when I run out.

Top Bottom