What's new

In the end there simply is just no cure, is there? (sigh)

I have been away for a while; backproblems, neckproblems and later on a broken ankle that wouldn't heal properly made shaving to a chore and there was just no fun posting about that. But some operations later things started to improve a bit and this year shaving became fun again, the 'wellness' experience it used to be; from once a month because I had to I am back on three times a week because I want to.

In the past years I didn't buy much stuff obviously. Some razors I couldn't resist (Fatip slants and the mk.2 OC, couple of Razorock aluminium razors, and the PAA Blue Ghost because their bakelite OC slant was so freakingly good) and well, some blades when the deal was too good to let pass.

But this year I started to poke around here again, answered to a few threads and suddenly I am also awaiting 7 razors and a brush on their way to me, just like that! Nothing very expensive (well, once the shipment and taxes were added to 'my' two birthyear Techs it wasn't cheap either) but all the usual AD's flaired up again. I am still hoovering my finger over the 'order' button on some 600 blades, I really didn't need a new brush (but it was such a cute Century travel brush (NOS) in badger (the US equivalent of the Wee Scot) for just a tenner) and did I really need them razors?

Yes apparantly, I did. Like the title says, there is just no cure is there? The feever can be controled most of the time but when you think you are cured it hits you again with full strenght. Lovely little disease!

I wish you a speedy recovery if you are still having health issues. As for AD, there are other threads with the same question, notably
but tl;dr if you don't burden the people around you and your quality of life isn't deteriorating, you are worrying too much IMHO. If it is trying out new stuff that brings you joy and you can afford it, go for it.
Personally, I use 1 razor and am happier without any brush than using one, but for me the whole purpose of wet shaving (and this forum) is not the pursuit of new experiences. It is the pursuit of knowledge* and simple, working solutions to real-world problems*.

*which needn't be accomplished by purchases

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Yeah, it really doesn't for some. It's sneaky and insidious and man is it fun.
I suppose that if it were a case of someone buying a neat Fatboy or a really cool looking brush or several hundred of your favorite blades and the kids needed school clothes or you and the wife are worried where the groceries for next week were coming from it probably is something someone should get some professional help with.
I think for the vast majority, it's disposable income, and I see no real difference in grabbing a vintage bottle of aftershave or a couple of mocca-caramel latte frappes through the week.
If it makes you happy, if it's still fun, if it isn't putting any strain whatsoever on your budget - just go with it.
We do these things, buying razors, or Lattes, or woodworking tools or whatever the item may be because it is enjoyable.
If it stops being enjoyable, and there's still a drive to do it - again, some professional help would be in order.

Don't worry guys, the title is mostly tongue in cheek. Just celebrating a significant step forwards in my recovery and the funny thing is that I pick up things just where I left. There will be no delayments in my morguage because of my hobby.

It's sneaky and insidious and man is it fun
Exactly, and that is the way it should be. Just set a budget, stay within and lets have fun!
The only cure to your usual AD's is to start another one; soaps, aftershaves, SR's, etc..
I have had those as well, don't worry, but after my discovery of modern Williams I didn't feel the need of trying out any new soap anymore!
AS is fun but never caused an AD and straights, well they are really cool but I never felt the need of trying one; they are designed to shave another man and not yourself in the end.

I bargain with myself. I'll get any razor I seethat catches my eye and is reasonably priced. But I won't buy one online, except for a couple that are considered purchases. So those auction sites don't tempt me. With razors.

The thought has crossed my mind to be away from this site for a year. Perhaps 2022. I think I have enough kit to shave a whole regiment for a few years. I think it would be interesting to come back after a year and see who is still around and what the hot topics are. This must be some of what you've experienced by being away.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hey glad your back and getting better. Rejoining a hobby with some purchases is awesome thing! In fact you can view it as a celebration!

So those auction sites don't tempt me.
Well, I hear you but I have had my best and worst deals there and some razors are simply impossible to obtain without using auction sites. I have started collecting Gillette Techs a little bit and the only examples I can find on flee markets etc are usually worn down badly (and still at ridiculous prices) and mostly only UK-made. So the only way to get me some NIB and NOS examples is to use the internet.

I think it would be interesting to come back after a year and see who is still around and what the hot topics are.
Well, I miss the modern Williams bashing but at least Arko is still compared to urinal pucks and whether brushes should be dried tips up or down is still causing debate so some things never change. I haven't seen any recent questions about why there are numbers printed on the blade but expect them any time soon.

Using the search-button is apparantly just as difficult as it was some years ago! :lol:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
pipe.jpg

Top Bottom