What's new

In praise of Witch Hazel

@dmshaver, dotKomo & sm29 Thanks for your replies.. i have heard of whitch Hazel but never considered it.. will be getting me a bottle to try out.

Just a quick question in relation to the scents on the thayers like the rose, lavender are these strongly scented or am i better just getting the unscented version.. i love using my AS splash and want to continue using on top of the witch hazel
It's very mild... Doesn't interfere with anything.

So can AS splash be used after witch hazel? Someone mentioned thayers rose witch hazel, does it have a strong rose scent?
If your going to use both, you might need a moisturizer or balm, depending upon brand and your skin. I use alum, witch hazel, oil, balm, and splash. In that order, not necessarily all of them, but sometimes :)

@ClayS my skin is neither dry or oily, prob normal i would say.. i plan to use it after the Alum and before the AS.. if i do dry out will def go for a balm.. play it by ear

@Lutrinae thanks for the confirmation

Does anyone have any opinion of the medicated v any of the other scented ones?

@ClayS my skin is neither dry or oily, prob normal i would say.. i plan to use it after the Alum and before the AS.. if i do dry out will def go for a balm.. play it by ear

@Lutrinae thanks for the confirmation

Does anyone have any opinion of the medicated v any of the other scented ones?

It’s all preference. The medicated ones do usually have a little more skin food food like Thayers Medicated has the eucalyptus and cooling from the peppermint oil.

@dmshaver, dotKomo & sm29 Thanks for your replies.. i have heard of whitch Hazel but never considered it.. will be getting me a bottle to try out.

Just a quick question in relation to the scents on the thayers like the rose, lavender are these strongly scented or am i better just getting the unscented version.. i love using my AS splash and want to continue using on top of the witch hazel
The different scents offer different properties that help your skin. The scent is not strong and not meant to be.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
20180409_111652_crop_677x886[86907] Witch Hazel dilution  of aftershaves!.jpg

Aftershaves that are little to strong for my liking or wife's!
Its hard to order on line with out testing it and when you receive the aftershave it might be a little to strong of a scent so here is what I do and I like the results. I clean the small decanted glass bottles with water and then give them a good shaking rinse of 99% alcohol and then dry. I then will pore in the aftershave and add Witch Hazel the dominate elixir if I want the scent to fade faster but still do the job and enjoy the scent for a shorter time 1-3 hrs is enough for me. You will notice the aftershave is a little clouded it is because the aftershave powders and what ever are suspended in the Witch Hazel solution. The nice thing about decantering into small bottles is you can tweak your formula a little with out altering the main Aftershave container bottle and also add a little essential oils to your test bottle to have it your way.
Final results are every one around me is Happy Happy.....

View attachment 902937

Aftershaves that are little to strong for my liking or wife's!
Its hard to order on line with out testing it and when you receive the aftershave it might be a little to strong of a scent so here is what I do and I like the results. I clean the small decanted glass bottles with water and then give them a good shaking rinse of 99% alcohol and then dry. I then will pore in the aftershave and add Witch Hazel the dominate elixir if I want the scent to fade faster but still do the job and enjoy the scent for a shorter time 1-3 hrs is enough for me. You will notice the aftershave is a little clouded it is because the aftershave powders and what ever are suspended in the Witch Hazel solution. The nice thing about decantering into small bottles is you can tweak your formula a little with out altering the main Aftershave container bottle and also add a little essential oils to your test bottle to have it your way.
Final results are every one around me is Happy Happy.....

I was trying to figure out what "Clubman Gil" was until I actually your post. I like this idea! I currently make my own pre-shave/beard oil, so I have EOs to tweak things with.

I think witch hazel may be one of the best aftershaves one can use

its also easy to customize the scent by adding drops of essential oils.

there's another version i've been using called Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel ....it's labeled as a deep cleaning astringent....it's witch hazel with menthol, eucalyptus, and camphor added to it....adds a nice little zip and extra kick in the face to it.

there's another version i've been using called Dickinson's Enhanced Witch Hazel ....it's labeled as a deep cleaning astringent....it's witch hazel with menthol, eucalyptus, and camphor added to it....adds a nice little zip and extra kick in the face to it.

The similarity of the names T.N. vs. no initials sent me looking. They are both from the same company. They consider the T.N. line to be their First Aid line and no initials to be their skin care line. Can't tell any differences in the base products by ingredients (14% alcohol & witch hazel). Their skin line, in addition to plain, has energizing (caffeine and b3), hydrating ( Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin E), and deep cleaning that you mention, it doesn't list camphor on the web site.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thought of this thread this morning, and put 8-10 drops of lavender essential oil in a small glass bottle, along with 4-6 drops of glycerin.

Filled with generic witch hazel halfway and shook; then filled it up.

Now I have a really good lavender aftershave, something I didn't have yesterday. And it didn't cost $15-20.

Thanks for the motivation! It worked great!

AA

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was trying to figure out what "Clubman Gil" was until I actually your post. I like this idea! I currently make my own pre-shave/beard oil, so I have EOs to tweak things with.
I'm not that very secretive type individual and we all come and go from the forums over time and if you get more enjoyment out of something why not mention it. Enjoy Clay S!

Top Bottom