What's new

In praise of Witch Hazel

I'm currently going 50/50 generic mixed with Thayer's. I might drop the generic at some point but the Thayer's is a keeper.

One of these gets used every day. Speick also contains witch hazel, as well as aloe and alcohol. Don't know of others that contain it, although I'm sure there are some.
proxy.php

Lately, I have been using the cucumber scented Thayers and really enjoy it. Before that I used Stirling MITA witch hazel and aloe splash. The Stirling has menthol and was very “icy” to me, but I enjoyed it as well. I like the idea of making my own concoction with a generic witch hazel, aloe, and some essential oils. I think I may try that next. I wish I didn’t throw the empty Stirling bottle away now. Although this bottle of Thayers is going to last me a long time.

Dickenson’s WH for me. Everyday I’m at home, it is part of my routine. I once read that witch hazel needs to be at 14% alcohol for it to be true witch hazel. I wasn’t anxious to use the alcohol but soon found it worked well and has since opened the door to alcohol splashes, but always after the witch hazel.

I’m not sure that Dickenson’s is any better than a generic but given how long it lasts I’m willing to spend the extra 3 or 4 dollars a year.

Used both Thayers and generic WH. I didnt notice any difference bw the 2, except the price. $7 vs $.99

For me and my face, Thayer's Lavender is much better than generic witch hazel.
Tonight was my first shave with Stirling Lemon Chill witch hazel splash --- Wow ! Pretty fantastic !

Also a witch hazel fan here, i just use a generic brand from the chemist, i then mix it 2 parts WH with 1 part Aloe Vera gel and a few drops of tea tree oil. Great after shave balm.
I’m going to try the WH & AV mixture. Sounds like a great idea. Thanks for sharing it.

I love all the different brands, but Thayers is my favorite and love the different scents. The percentage of witch hazel isn't the highest in Thayers, but there are so many other ingredients that are great skin food. Witch hazel has so very many benefits beyond shaving. After my bath and leg shave, I put it on my whole body. Makes my skin so soft. I put it on my face morning and night.

So can AS splash be used after witch hazel? Someone mentioned thayers rose witch hazel, does it have a strong rose scent?

Good stuff. I don't use it as often as straight alcohol based splash but I do cut some AS brands with it for more moisture in the dry months of winter.

So can AS splash be used after witch hazel? Someone mentioned thayers rose witch hazel, does it have a strong rose scent?
I always do. In my routine, I always separate the Dickenson’s witch hazel from the AS splash by flossing and brushing my teeth. I don’t like to taste the AS on my hands when flossing. This relatively short break allows the witch hazel to dry completely and any WH smell to dissipate.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I've been using Thayer's unscented with aloe for many years now. I don't know how anyone could consider this an expensive purchase. I always buy two bottles at a time for a bit of a deal. I use it daily after my shave an a bottle lasts about 2 years. That's about 42 cents a month.

I do believe Captain's Choice aftershaves contain WH too--North in the Winter and Lime in the Summer are two great scents.

@dmshaver, dotKomo & sm29 Thanks for your replies.. i have heard of whitch Hazel but never considered it.. will be getting me a bottle to try out.

Just a quick question in relation to the scents on the thayers like the rose, lavender are these strongly scented or am i better just getting the unscented version.. i love using my AS splash and want to continue using on top of the witch hazel

Just a quick question in relation to the scents on the thayers like the rose, lavender are these strongly scented or am i better just getting the unscented version.. i love using my AS splash and want to continue using on top of the witch hazel
I don't have a very good sense of smell, but to me the cucumber scented one doesn't linger. Unscented is a safer bet I suppose. Just don't get the "original;" it smells like sunscreen! :thumbdown

Top Bottom