What's new

In praise of the Aeropress.

w00t new morning ritual discovered!
:)

AND here it is.

Shower
Shave (this morning, for you stalkers that like to hear this sort of thing, was Speick cream, a new feather in my fat boy, proraso splash, and QED patchouli/teatree/peppermint balm)
Dress
Put a kettle on to boil
Eat Cheerios and soy milk (the meijer organics brand is REALLY good)
Pull water off heat
use aeropress with my travel mug

My drive to work was so much more pleasant than normal, and I didn't have to have the work-machine swill as my first cup of the day. :)

I personally am still skeptical of the Aeropress. I usually take most advice that I read on B&B as gospel, but this just doesn't seem right... A coffee maker from a frisbee company? Seriously?

I love it! This reads like that mantra I see/hear on late-night TV:

"Five years ago... there was a lot of skepticism... a device that could make that certain pot of coffee 'better'... it's not a gimmick! it's real science! For only $30! If the Aeropress didn't do something really spectacular, could we afford to make this offer?"​

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm sticking with my Bodum French-press.

"Five years ago... there was a lot of skepticism... a device that could make that certain pot of coffee 'better'... it's not a gimmick! it's real science! For only $30! If the Aeropress didn't do something really spectacular, could we afford to make this offer?"​

lol
true it does

BUT... the difference is that not only are we unpaid for our comments, but we PAID FOR the aeropress.

If I'm gonna be a shill, it's gonna be shilling for things I wanna shill for. And the aeropress is definitely something to freak out about. :)

So, how does it compare to the French press? :smile:

Regards.

J

From what I can tell, favorably... thought the two devices are arguably for different purposes.

A french press is useful for sitiuations where more than one cup is desired, and wonderful for if you have a couple of people drinking together. The aeropress seems best suited to times where it's JUST you and you need a cup at a time with quick cleanup. Mornings before work, hangover days, etc. :)

That right there JB is why I keep coming back to this place. An Ouch worthy posting. BTW, even though I am going to buy an Aeropress, the local TJ Maxx KEEPS getting these Bodum French Presses in and I am sorely tempted. You know how this will end don't you?

Regards, Todd

I ordered an Aeropress after reading this thread. I'm curious to try it out but I must say that brewing coffee in a plastic syringe really offends the purist in me. :001_smile

That right there JB is why I keep coming back to this place. An Ouch worthy posting. BTW, even though I am going to buy an Aeropress, the local TJ Maxx KEEPS getting these Bodum French Presses in and I am sorely tempted. You know how this will end don't you?

Yep. As I said earlier: :tongue_sm

Interesting how things turn out. My local TJ Maxx has french presses for about $10. I decided last night to go back and get one.

And I did. :lol:

I ordered an Aeropress after reading this thread. I'm curious to try it out but I must say that brewing coffee in a plastic syringe really offends the purist in me. :001_smile

The Aeropress actually made me feel better about the cup of coffee I was making because it gave me a measure of control that did not exist with my standard drip coffee pot. I still do not have a vac pot or a french press because my AP does the trick for me. :biggrin:

Okay, the aeropress arrived and I've made some cups. I'm not too impressed with it unfortunately. The cups I've been trying out are sweet and surprisingly devoid of any bitterness but I think it really mutes desirable qualities of the acidity at the same time.

If anyone wants to take this off my hands PM me.

I hate you guys. I do not drink coffee at all. Not a drop. But you have me looking at the Aeropress, thinking hmmmm. AND I DONT EVEN DRINK COFFEE!!!!!

Okay, the aeropress arrived and I've made some cups. I'm not too impressed with it unfortunately.

MB:
Try grinding the beans finer and letting the grounds and water steep a little longer than the recommended 20 sec.
Go for a minute, then press.
Go for 2 mins, then press.
Heck !
even try 3 minutes and see how you like the juice.

3 minutes is the average brew time I use. Some coffees I roast taste better with a little less time but .......experiment a bit and I think youll be pleasantly surprised

Okay, the aeropress arrived and I've made some cups. I'm not too impressed with it unfortunately. The cups I've been trying out are sweet and surprisingly devoid of any bitterness but I think it really mutes desirable qualities of the acidity at the same time.

If anyone wants to take this off my hands PM me.

I'd echo the post above mine and say go for longer times. Play a bit with your water temperature, too.

Again, this is NOT a perfect device, but it's certainly making my morning cuppajoe much better and easier.

I have a mini 12 oz. Bodum french press that I use at work when I need an after-lunch-pick-me-up. I find brewed right I always get a good cup. Is the aeropress any better than a french press? Guesses at why?

FYI - by brewed right I go with:
1) good grind - I usually go a little finer than recommended.
2) add below boiling water (at work that means what-ever temp. it comes out of the hot water dispenser in the cafeteria), no stirring
3) Steep for about 1 minute with open top to let some of the bitterness diminish.
3) stir, cover, let sit for 2 min. then press an enjoy.

(Enjoying a nice cup of Stumptown Ethiopia Mordecofe now to get me through the after lunch snooze...)

After months of looking at the Aeropress at Amazon, this thread pushed me over the edge. Not that it is a huge purchase, but it just wreaked of gimmick to me.

Mine arrived today and used with freshly ground Ristretto Roasters Sumatra.........best cup of coffee I have ever had.

Great device........great roaster (Ristretto) as well!

No wonder Starbucks profits fell 75% this year.......everyone bought an Aeropress and discovered they could make a better cup at home for 50¢!

Well, I have had an Aeropress sitting around for about a month and decided I would finally try it. I was actually pretty satisfied with a small Cuisinart coffee maker I've been using for a couple of years, and kind of considered the Aeropress as a new toy.

I got out all the parts and the instructions, and made the first couple of cups. I was absolutely shocked at how much better the coffee was! So much smoother and much more flavorful than what I had been drinking, and I was using the same beans. The Cuisinart has a metal pot, and it may have been contributing to the off taste, but I think most of it was just the difference in how the coffee is made. The Aeropress was not nearly as time consuming and bothersome as what I expected, actually had the first cup in about the same amount of time as using the coffee makers. I did have to be right there instead of just dumping everything in the maker and coming back later for hot coffee, but the enormous improvement in taste is worth it.

I'll have to say this is the biggest improvement in coffee making for me since I started grinding my own beans instead of using the swill that comes in a can.

Top Bottom