What's new

In praise of the Aeropress.

I recently purchased the Aeropress from Amazon based entirely on the recommendations of the members of B&B. It showed up a few days ago, and I immediately broke my "no coffee after lunch" rule and brewed up a double shot cup of Americano using Caribou Coffee's Obsidian (which is an awesome roast, by the way), ground in our cheap 20 dollar grinder.

Normally I use a touch of splenda and soy milk to tone down my coffee (don't hit me please), and I was really hoping to not have to do so this time. I am so sick of having to add things to badly brewed coffee in order to turn them into a caffeine delivery system instead of enjoying them the way they should be.

Sip one - heaven. Absolute, complete and total heaven. I couldn't believe the flavor profiles I had been missing with our relatively nice drip machine. The Aeropress worked perfectly in my book. Totally loved it.

For what, 30 dollars shipped (including an extra pack of filters), this is an incredible deal. The only downside I see is that it uses more coffee than the drip systems on a per-cup basis... but for flavor like this, it's totally worthwhile.

You found out part of the secret to great coffee - using enough of the bean to begin with. Combine that with the relatively short infusion in the Aeropress and you get Nirvana in a cup.

I use mine daily.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I agree. The Aero Press is amazing. Sad truth is that you get used to it and there is nothing like your first time. Hmmmm.

I personally am still skeptical of the Aeropress. I usually take most advice that I read on B&B as gospel, but this just doesn't seem right... A coffee maker from a frisbee company? Seriously?

My biggest issues with it are the filters, and the brewing time. How many of you use the incredibly short 30-60 second time that most of the sites recommend? In addition, is there any way to make a permanent filter? I'd hate to have to order filters constantly online....

That being said, I am incredibly curious. I really want to try a good cup of Aeropress, but I'm not willing to spend the money on it until I am 100% convinced. I've been a devoted proponent of the french press and hand grinder for quite a few years, I just can't imagine something better. Can someone please convince me of this once and for all so I can try it?

Weird, huh? I had no problem dropping hundreds of dollars on soaps, aftershaves, brushes, razors, blades, etc, etc, based solely on the advice of all these gents at B&B, before I knew any of them. Despite all of the great advice that I got, I can't bring myself to buy a $30 coffee pot. If you told me that you tried the greatest cream, that cost $80, I'd be obsessed about it until I used it... But for some reason the Aeropress rubs me the wrong way. Is it really that great? What did you all use before the Aeropress?

I personally am still skeptical of the Aeropress. I usually take most advice that I read on B&B as gospel, but this just doesn't seem right... A coffee maker from a frisbee company? Seriously?

My biggest issues with it are the filters, and the brewing time. How many of you use the incredibly short 30-60 second time that most of the sites recommend? In addition, is there any way to make a permanent filter? I'd hate to have to order filters constantly online....

That being said, I am incredibly curious. I really want to try a good cup of Aeropress, but I'm not willing to spend the money on it until I am 100% convinced. I've been a devoted proponent of the french press and hand grinder for quite a few years, I just can't imagine something better. Can someone please convince me of this once and for all so I can try it?

Weird, huh? I had no problem dropping hundreds of dollars on soaps, aftershaves, brushes, razors, blades, etc, etc, based solely on the advice of all these gents at B&B, before I knew any of them. Despite all of the great advice that I got, I can't bring myself to buy a $30 coffee pot. If you told me that you tried the greatest cream, that cost $80, I'd be obsessed about it until I used it... But for some reason the Aeropress rubs me the wrong way. Is it really that great? What did you all use before the Aeropress?

It REALLY is that great.

http://www.amazon.com/AeroPress-Cof...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1225424905&sr=8-1

26 bucks shipped.

My biggest issues with it are the filters, and the brewing time. How many of you use the incredibly short 30-60 second time that most of the sites recommend?
I use close to 30 seconds every time. It seems short, but it works really well. I've experimented with more water and longer brew times, and all it does is lower the quality of the cup.

In addition, is there any way to make a permanent filter? I'd hate to have to order filters constantly online....
It comes with a "year's supply" in the package (I think it's their standard 350 filter pack - same as the refill). At the very least, I usually make two cups for myself and one cup for her with a single filter (just remove it before tossing the grounds, rinse it off, and reuse it).

Plus, they're only like ~$3 for a pack of 350 from Amazon. Throw an extra one in when you order yours with free shipping.

I am curious about trying the Aeropress, but I already (supposedly) have too many "coffee things" in the kitchen as it is...I've yet to show her some of you guys' setups...:001_smile

Seriously.

I always make a full "four shot" batch with it. Ten seconds of stirring after the water is poured in, and then about 20 or more seconds to press. Remember that the end product with this is basically an espresso. The brew time is short because all of the water is in there at once, unlike with a drip system. That short immersion time keeps the bitterness out of the brew.

The best part about them is that you adjust all aspects of the process, from the grind size, to water temperature, to brew time.

And one package of filters is a years supply if the thing is used once daily. They even say that you rinse them out and reuse them, although I haven't tried that. Or do like me and pick up a couple packs at a time.

Seriously.

I always make a full "four shot" batch with it. Ten seconds of stirring after the water is poured in, and then about 20 or more seconds to press. Remember that the end product with this is basically an espresso. The brew time is short because all of the water is in there at once, unlike with a drip system. That short immersion time keeps the bitterness out of the brew.

The best part about them is that you adjust all aspects of the process, from the grind size, to water temperature, to brew time.

And one package of filters is a years supply if the thing is used once daily. They even say that you rinse them out and reuse them, although I haven't tried that. Or do like me and pick up a couple packs at a time.

I ordered a pack of filters for it thinking it didn't come with any, so I now have like 70000000 in my kitchen.

Buddy, if you like coffee, you'll love the Aeropress. :)

I love my Aeropress. The coffee has a clean taste and it is so fast! I agree, though, I found myself going through an incredible amount of coffee.

OK, I think that you guys have finally convinced me. Now I really want one. Perhaps it was fate that I broke my french press this morning :frown:. Looks like I'll be ordering one from Amazon today. :biggrin:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

The inventor, Alan Adler, is quite the coffee geek. For me, used as instructed, the Aero Press extracts all the goodness from the coffee beans. Although not espresso with crema to me it does a better job than the stove top bialette type and is easier to clean up than the french press and also less coffee grounds find their way into the end product. The filters must be 1/8 the size of a normal coffee filter and I tend to rinse them off and use them for a couple of days. Where I live coffee grounds and filters get picked up by the city with other compostables which we get back in spring bagged for a small cost or for free if we load it loose into our own trailers etc. Apparently Mr. Adler tested several options and choose the paper filter based on taste tests.

Ain't brass n glass but it works.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

I'll handle this.

Sorry, the price is a misprint. It's really $300.

(See? Now you have to buy it.)

I'll handle this.

Sorry, the price is a misprint. It's really $300.

(See? Now you have to buy it.)

You know what? I'll do him a favor and list mine in the BS/T forum for 250 dollars, INCLUDING CONUS SHIPPING. Now that it's such a great deal, he's just gotta buy it.

OK, I think that you guys have finally convinced me. Now I really want one. Perhaps it was fate that I broke my french press this morning :frown:. Looks like I'll be ordering one from Amazon today. :biggrin:

Interesting how things turn out. My local TJ Maxx has french presses for about $10. I decided last night to go back and get one.

Okay, you guys have convinced me. One of these will fly its way to me this week. What the heck, it is less than thirty bucks. I have had some dissapointing shave soaps that cost more than that.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom