What's new

In defense of the much maligned Tweezerman...

I have been wetshaving for about 3 1/2 months. At first I started out with a Tweezerman pure badger brush off of Amazon for $13.50. I got this brush because I was on a budget and needed to start cheap. When using the brush I felt bad because I had read many posts on this forum, and others, advising new users that the Tweezerman brush was a good 'starter' brush but that you would, obviously, want to move up to the C&E BBB. Consequently I saw this brush as terribly inferior and looked forward to when I could get the BBB.

I used the Tweezerman brush for about two months but, then, after Thanksgiving, I was able to get my C&E BBB and I never looked back. I thought "thank God I finally have a GOOD brush, and I don't have to feel inadequate because I was using a brush that was viewed as barely above a VDH boar brush".

But something has happened, this weekend, which makes me realize that the Tweezerman brush deserves a much better reputation. I have been out of town, working on an extended contract. I was coming home for the weekend, but I didn't want to check luggage. Consequently, I left my Derby Extra blades at the site, along with my C&E BBB, my witch hazel, and my AS. All I took with me was my razor and my tabac (don't leave home without it). I knew that, at home, I had my old "inferior", and "inadequate" Tweezerman brush, but that it could do the job for a few days.

This morning, I took out the brush to shave and looked at it with pity and disgust in my eyes. Then I touched it.... It was MUCH softer than I remembered. In fact, I found it to be just as soft, if not actually SOFTER, than my C&E BBB! Moreover, the knot feels denser to me, although that could be my imagination. As I went to load the brush with soap, I was amazed at how much I was able to load into it. I built lather just as good as I ever have with my BBB, and when I put the lather on my face, it felt just as soft.

So, for those of you who "just" have a Tweezerman, and feel as if you must have one of the worst brushes out there (as you read about the C&E BBB, Edwin Jaggers, Rooneys, etc.), just know that I have come to fully realize that it is a fantastic brush, and that spending three times the amount I paid for it on the C&E BBB really didn't get me anything better.

Enjoy the Tweezerman. In hindsight I realize that it truly is a wonderful brush. It gets too bad a rap.

Last edited:
That's a nice post to read,.....lessons learned. Heck, I think I'm guilty of the same thing. Thanx for telling the story!:001_smile

I have been wetshaving for about 3 1/2 months. At first I started out with a Tweezerman pure badger brush off of Amazon for $13.50. I got this brush because I was on a budget and needed to start cheap. When using the brush I felt bad because I had read many posts on this forum, and others, advising new users that the Tweezerman brush was a good 'starter' brush but that you would, obviously, want to move up to the C&E BBB. Consequently I saw this brush as terribly inferior and looked forward to when I could get the BBB.

I used the Tweezerman brush for about two months but, then, after Thanksgiving, I was able to get my C&E BBB and I never looked back. I thought "thank God I finally have a GOOD brush, and I don't have to feel inadequate because I was using a brush that was viewed as barely above a VDH boar brush.

But something has happened, this weekend, which makes me realize that the Tweezerman brush deserves a much better reputation. I have been out of town, working on an extended contract. I was coming home for the weekend, but I didn't want to check luggage. Consequently, I left my Derby Extra blades at the site, along with my C&E BBB, my witch hazel, and my AS. All I took with me was my razor and my tabac (don't leave home without it). I knew that, at home, I had my old "inferior", and "inadequate" Tweezerman brush, but that it could do the job for a few days.

This morning, I took out the brush to shave, looked at it with pity and disgust in my eyes, but then I touched it.... It was MUCH softer than I remembered. In fact, I found it to be just as soft, if not actually SOFTER, than my C&E BBB! Moreover, the knot feels denser to me, although that could be my imagination. As I went to load the brush with soap, I was amazed at how much I was able to load into it. I built lather just as good as I ever have with my BBB, and when I put the lather on my face, it felt just as soft.

So, for those of you who "just" have a Tweezerman, and feel as if you must have one of the worst brushes out there (as you read about the C&E BBB, Edwin Jaggers, Rooneys, etc.), just know that I have come to fully realize that it is a fantastic brush, and that spending three times the amount I paid for it on the C&E BBB really didn't get me anything better.

Enjoy the Tweezerman. In hindsight I realize that it truly is a wonderful brush. It gets too bad a rap.

I've used the tweezerman exclusively for a year now, and I have almost no complaints on it. I thought it was going bad about 2 weeks ago when I botched a lather, but then I realized that I was using a different, more thirsty, soap.

No complains from me, sir.

well said.
The Tweezerman is a fine brush, and is more than adequate for lather building.
The "bad rap" it gets is not because it is an inferior brush, but because compared to the "top" models, it isn't as large, soft, or well made. Well, a large brush isn't always best. For those of us that keep winter beards, the smaller brush allows for agility and control of the lather you can hardly get with the bigger brushes. Soft? I've got a BurmaShave that competes with my silvertip for softness. Build quality? they've got a point there. Twzrmn's are mass produced, cheaply, and have had issues of failures. Mine's over a year old and probably hasn't lost 10 hairs the whole time. There are some reports of the entire know falling out in less than a month...YMMV Clause is in full effect here. Bottom line, you'll get no different a shave with the T than a "top" brush, after all, it's the prep and blade that make the biggest difference.
Thanks for the testimony and reminder!

I do like my Tweezerman boar's hair brush. Good brush. And if/when it breaks or loses its knot or whatever, relatively inexpensive to replace.

But, then, I also like the old Gillette and Rubberset brushes too. I'm strange. :blush:

Thanks for posting a very timely thread. I've been wondering about the Tweezerman brushes on Amazon since Christmas. My only brush is boar bristle- with a handle that, except for its dark blue color, looks *exactly* like the current VDH brushes, except mine has a nice rounded crown, while the VDH I compared with it, side-by-each, looked a little ragged in comparison. The thing is, I know my brush is over 10 yrs old, and believe it's over 20 yrs old- just used very little. Someone has been making & selling that pattern shave brush in the USA for a long time- I wonder who actually makes it, it's sure not VDH.

So- the Tweezerman is as I suspected, huh- a good brush(though lacking snob appeal! :biggrin:), that might profit froma little breaking-in. Hmm- If I bought *2* of 'em, I'd get free shipping! Doesn't seem to be that much shave stuff on AZ that is sold thru AZ & qualifies for free ship over $25. Yup, may have to buy 2 of 'em.:wink:

Good post! :smile:

I have had my Tweezerman for 5 months now and have grown more favorable toward it with the passing time. It does become softer with time and now its one of my favorite brushes. Its an excellent value and I would buy another one, I lke the little Tweezer. :wink:

J

Jarmo P

No one would call Tweezerman "maligned". I am very sure that all who have this brush like it. It is better than my Edwin Jagger small best brush.

I use my 3 badger brushes in rotation and enjoy always lathering with my wood handle brush.

I always read great reviews of the Tweezerman brush on here. It may be the best quality badger brush you can buy for the least amount of money. There is no reason to feel inadequate. I have some nice badger brushes, but I continue, and will always enjoy boar brushes. As always, use what you like and forget everyone else.

I bought a Tweezerman as my first brush when I started wet shaving a few months ago. I've lost count of the bristles its lost, but it still makes a lather and applies it where I want.

Top Bottom