What's new

In Addition to the Coyotes...

A few weeks back, in the Firearms Forum, I mentioned a coyote in the food bowl. Coyote gave me an "Oh, crap," look and took off. This evening, as I drove up, I caught a gray fox checking out the bowls. Where the coyote did a "Oh, crap," look, this fox did a "OH, @#$%!" and dug off at top speed. No, there was no food in the bowl. Since the coyote dropped by, I cut down on the food so there's none left between feedings.

The significant thing is that this is the first gray fox I've seen in decades. In the Firearms Forum, I commented that I haven't seen them since the coyotes spread here. I heard foxes down at a nearby creek one morning a couple of years or so ago, but thought they were red foxes. Maybe they were. This one was clearly a gray. It seems they may be getting along with the local coyotes after all.

One odd thing about gray foxes is they can climb trees. That's what the one I saw decades ago did when I came up on it. This one didn't. I think it was in too much of a hurry.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
A few weeks back, in the Firearms Forum, I mentioned a coyote in the food bowl. Coyote gave me an "Oh, crap," look and took off. This evening, as I drove up, I caught a gray fox checking out the bowls. Where the coyote did a "Oh, crap," look, this fox did a "OH, @#$%!" and dug off at top speed. No, there was no food in the bowl. Since the coyote dropped by, I cut down on the food so there's none left between feedings.

The significant thing is that this is the first gray fox I've seen in decades. In the Firearms Forum, I commented that I haven't seen them since the coyotes spread here. I heard foxes down at a nearby creek one morning a couple of years or so ago, but thought they were red foxes. Maybe they were. This one was clearly a gray. It seems they may be getting along with the local coyotes after all.

Awesome to hear this! Thanks for posting.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

One odd thing about gray foxes is they can climb trees. That's what the one I saw decades ago did when I came up on it. This one didn't. I think it was in too much of a hurry.

They are neat, and they catch mice. And chickens too. After a MAJOR ice storm here several years ago, the area looked like it had been bombed, the storm had apparently destroyed a lot of dens. There was a gray fox that came up on the back porch and ate out of the cat's bowl for a few days, until the cats got tired of it. I heard a commotion on the back porch and looked out and a cat had it's claws in the top of the fox's head. It took off real quick toward the tree line. It didn't come back. Too bad...I liked seeing it up close. Wish I had a camera handy when it was coming up and eating.

I know the foxes are still around, I just haven't seen them lately.

FarmerTan

They are neat, and they catch mice. And chickens too. After a MAJOR ice storm here several years ago, the area looked like it had been bombed, the storm had apparently destroyed a lot of dens. There was a gray fox that came up on the back porch and ate out of the cat's bowl for a few days, until the cats got tired of it. I heard a commotion on the back porch and looked out and a cat had it's claws in the top of the fox's head. It took off real quick toward the tree line. It didn't come back. Too bad...I liked seeing it up close. Wish I had a camera handy when it was coming up and eating.

I'll bet that they are beautiful creatures. Have never had a fox in our henhouse, but we do have a mutt rooster that's half Leghorn. But my wife named him Hank. Second best rooster we've ever had. Down right polite. The mean ones make good broth, lol.

The rest of the story is that a neighbor told us that possibly the same fox has been eating out of her cat food bowl at her back door. Evidently, the fox and area pets have an understanding. Have never seen that with a fox, but have observed that a few times between cats and other critters. I'm not comfortable with a wild animal acting this way, because it screams rabies, but this one seemed healthy. It's likely habituated to humans due to the neighbor.

Foxes, i have learned, will often "camp out" near humans, to ward away the coyotes, who, are apparently skittish of us; we have coyote in our 'hood, and recently had a family of red foxes move in, one pup died unfortunately in our yard (didnt look to be attacked), but havent seen the coyote since...the fox pups played in our yard not far from our backyard party on Memorial Day weekend, they seemed unfettered by us, and mom stood by on close watch and never came near us, despite the abundance of goodies we had out. my mouse, chipmunk and squirrel pop is way down...

FarmerTan

Foxes, i have learned, will often "camp out" near humans, to ward away the coyotes, who, are apparently skittish of us; we have coyote in our 'hood, and recently had a family of red foxes move in, one pup died unfortunately in our yard (didnt look to be attacked), but havent seen the coyote since...the fox pups played in our yard not far from our backyard party on Memorial Day weekend, they seemed unfettered by us, and mom stood by on close watch and never came near us, despite the abundance of goodies we had out. my mouse, chipmunk and squirrel pop is way down...
Yep, I don't see many rabbits, but squirrel pop. is only down a little.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yep, I don't see many rabbits, but squirrel pop. is only down a little.

Our squirrel population is up; wish that really cool hawk would come back.

full

I'd pay money to see it fly over the house with a squirrel again … Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom moment.

full

AA

FarmerTan

Our squirrel population is up; wish that really cool hawk would come back.

full

I'd pay money to see it fly over the house with a squirrel again … Mutual of Omaha Wild Kingdom moment.

full

AA
Man. Me too. And I have chickens!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I've never seen a Gray Fox. They're on the endangered species list here.

I saw a Swift Fox once. They live up to their name.

There was a Red Fox that use to visit us at a moose hunting camp.

Chuck and fox.JPG

Chuck, pictured, was hand feeding it shortly after I took that one. He'd follow us around like a dog. He came around for two years while we hunted there but no sign of him the third year.

Its pretty easy to spot a rabid animal. Look for signs of confusion and for them being off balance.

Top Bottom