What's new

Meteorites

Legion

Staff member
One of the many things I have a small collection of, and have been interested in in the past was meteorites.

So a couple of days ago I was cleaning up, I pulled my collection out of storage, and found that they had not been stored so well as I had hoped. I had some rust issues. Sigh. So this morning was spent cleaning and hopefully conserving better than I did last time. But that lead me down a rabbit hole this afternoon, and I found quite a few vids online that I have not seen before (I'm not sure Youtube was much of a thing when I was into it).

This one is cool. Sikhote Alin is my favourite.

Anyone else interested in nerding out on this stuff?

Legion

Staff member
I wouldn't know a meteorite from your average everyday rock.
Unless it crashes through my roof and lands on my kitchen table, I'm afraid I'm doomed to be meteorite-less.
Yeah, finds not them yourself is always going to be pretty difficult unless you are very lucky or live near some featureless desert where they might stand out.

Most people are reduced to buying them from fossil/mineral dealers who specialize in such things.

There was one found by a guy who was detecting for gold in a town near where I live not too long ago. It is worth thousands.

Last edited:
My small collection.

Spent Jan3/4 looking for the Quadrantids. Possibility of 20-40 per hour. In 7 hours, I saw 11 from a very dark site. Oh, and it was very frosty out.

Attachments

• P1069088e.JPG
    P1069088e.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
Top Bottom