What's new

Impulse Buy: GEM Micromatic (I think)...

So, I was browsing through eBay, "just looking" at various razors, and ended up winning this:
proxy.php

This will be my first GEM. As you can see, it comes with the case/blade holder. The razor and blade case were described as "like new", and it seemingly looks very nice in the photo. I just thought, "What the heck!", and put in a maximum bid of $10.01. Wouldn't you know, I topped the nearest maximum bid by one cent!?!

My questions:

$10.01 - Good Price/Bad Price?
Worth shaving with, or just add it to the collection?
If it's worth shaving with, any blade recommendations?
Is this indeed a "GEM Micromatic"? If not, what is it?
Approximate year?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've learned a lot about razors in the past year... but unfortunately, GEM Razors are still very Greek to me! Thanks!

-Pete

Good price. Great shaver. Yes it's a Micromatic which means the top pops open with a TTO rather than flips. The Micro is almost as good a shaver as its near kinsman the renowned G Bar aka the "G love." The head geometry may throw you a wee bit but don't let it daunt you. Make sure you use the proper technique when shaving with little to no pressure or that single edge blade will eat you alive. Use Pella or Gem blades. Send me your address and I'll forward you some. Leisureguy did it for me and now it's my turn to return the favour! :smile: Hold the head of the razor almost but nor quite flat against your face and go. If your angle is right you'll barely feel it gliding across your face. I get an almost BBS with two passes. An ATG is almost unnecessary but if you do it you will be rewarded with a surpassingly smooth shave. The babes won't be able to resist you. This could be a problem if you're married. :biggrin: If that Micro has an open comb you can expect to hear it "sing" while you mow the stubble. The Micro is much maligned and it's unfair. This is a good razor and deserves to be in your rotation.

Good price. Great shaver. Yes it's a Micromatic which means the top pops open with a TTO rather than flips. The Micro is almost as good a shaver as its near kinsman the renowned G Bar aka the "G love." The head geometry may throw you a wee bit but don't let it daunt you. Make sure you use the proper technique when shaving with little to no pressure or that single edge blade will eat you alive. Use Pella or Gem blades. Send me your address and I'll forward you some. Leisureguy did it for me and now it's my turn to return the favour! :smile: Hold the head of the razor almost but nor quite flat against your face and go. If your angle is right you'll barely feel it gliding across your face. I get an almost BBS with two passes. An ATG is almost unnecessary but if you do it you will be rewarded with a surpassingly smooth shave. The babes won't be able to resist you. This could be a problem if you're married. :biggrin: If that Micro has an open comb you can expect to hear it "sing" while you mow the stubble. The Micro is much maligned and it's unfair. This is a good razor and deserves to be in your rotation.

Well you've just convinced me to try mine. I got one in a lot of razors and it's been sitting in a box ever since. It always struck me as a well made piece of engineering.

Now I just some blades.

Pick it up and go Ontario! I contend that most of the people that have had problems with the Micro weren't using it properly. I suspect they were holding it like a DE and then applying too much pressure. You can't do that with a Gem. Once you get used to it you may actually start preferring it to a Gillette. :smile:
Indeed with the exception of Monday when I used one of my British Flare Tip Rockets (another fantastic shaver) this has been an all Gem week for me. I've used my Gem Micro and my Featherweight and both have given wonderful shaves with no nicks, cuts, or errors. They are well crafted razors although nothing beats the G love (G Bar) for elegant simplicity. It truly is a case of the perfect blending of form and function. If you only get one Gem it should be the G Bar. They are plentiful on Ebay (I just picked up another last night) and relatively inexpensive.

Top Bottom