What's new

I'm wondering if anyone has used a stone shave bowl before or currently?

I have a stone handle shave brush, and I love it. I soak the whole brush in the presoak, and the handle holds the warmth of the water for the entire shave. I thought a stone shave bowl would perform similarly. I found one on Anazon.com "https://www.amazon.com/CHARMMAN-Sha...D=51V-1lv0%2B3L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch", but they don't ship to Canada sadly :( does anyone know where else I could find one?

The next question is if you do have or had a stone shave bowl how heavy are they? Amazon says the shipping weight is 2 pounds. The reviews say that stone shave bowls are great for creating a lather faster.

I currently have a Crown King shaving scuttle, but I find the actual bowl opening to be small. Would a ceramic shave bowl hold heat in like stone? I know a lot of people have a captain's choice shave bowls and I was wondering if anyone has ever soaked the bowl in warm to hot water, and does the bowl retain the heat for a long enough to do a complete shave?

As far as I know, ceramic does not hold heat like stone does.

Thinking about this now I will perform this test on my crown king and drain the water and see how long the heat lasts for.

Don't I feel stupid now, found the stone bowl on eBay. Still, if you have used a stone bowl for lather, please let me know your review.

Welcome to B&B, Sir BK0271!

I've never had pleasure to use a stone shave bowl.
But I've enjoyed both ceramic and plastic shave bowls, all work nicely!
Obvious features of stone bowls would be weight and fragility.
But, no reason not to try!
Enjoy your journey!

art of shaving lemon rooney puma yoresh september 20 2015.jpg
La savonniere du moulin Rooney Blenheim Bouquet Penhaligon Kai mug July 26 2015.jpg
proraso green truefitt hill feather january 2 2018.jpg

I have a stone shave brush, and I soak the entire brush in the presoak. The handle retains the warmth the whole length of the shave. I think the stone lather bowl will have similar properties. I have a scuttle, but I find the actual bowl part to narrow. I will find out soon enough...lol I'm hoping the weight is manageable, I only actually hold the bowl for a minute maybe two.

For my bowl, I use a mortar from a mortar and pestle set. I believe it is ceramic rather than natural stone, but it has a nice heft. Since it is designed for grinding, the inside of the mortar is rough, providing an ideal surface for whipping up a lather. I like warm lather, so I fill the bowl with hot tap water before creating my lather. I keep the bowl warm by placing it atop an electric candle warmer.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have a marble bowl (chain store, $6) that's perfect size to keep a soap in, but it's not a lathering bowl. Two different things.

Looks great, though.

AA

I had a marble bowl, but found it would not make a decent lather. My suspicion is that the water was soaked up in the material. I got rid of it.

I would worry that the stone would shred the tips of the brush, but that's just me...and I face-lather.

Let us know how it goes.
It is an experiment but from the reviews I read the bowl is not a course as the pictures look.

As for soaking past the bristles, I found with the stone handle if I don't the coldness of the stone transfers through the bristles and makes for one cold shave, with heating the handle up some of the warnth is also transfer through the brstiles. The knots are set in epoxy water shouldn't hurt it, but only time will tell.

The stone lather bowl arrived. Weight is nice and fits in hand well, the opening is a little small for my liking, but I can still build a lather just fine. I'm torn if I like it, doesn't hold heat as well as I would like, but I only submerge the bowl for only a couple of minutes, It would be probable hold more heat if I left it to warm up longer. Have to be more mindful of how much water you use as the bowl holds more water than it looks as it comes out of the water. I think I will keep it as I like the idea of using a stone bowl for lathering.

The stone lather bowl arrived. Weight is nice and fits in hand well, the opening is a little small for my liking, but I can still build a lather just fine. I'm torn if I like it, doesn't hold heat as well as I would like, but I only submerge the bowl for only a couple of minutes, It would be probable hold more heat if I left it to warm up longer. Have to be more mindful of how much water you use as the bowl holds more water than it looks as it comes out of the water. I think I will keep it as I like the idea of using a stone bowl for lathering.

Thanks for the follow-up!

Top Bottom