What's new

I'm unscented

This kind of reminds me of another sensory disorder, I can't remember what its called, but the girl who had it "tasted" music. For example, Bach had a creamy taste, and other music tasted like grass. I believe it can also make you see colors when hearing things. Kind of random thought I guess.
You're talking about synthesthesia, which is where one sense is experiences through a different medium. Hearing might manifest as touch, smell might trigger auditory response, etc. Like someone who experience taste as visual, might think that something tastes "purple".

I'm congenitally anosmic, which is a fancy medical way of saying I was born without, and never developed, a sense of smell.

As such, I am really paranoid about smells. I go strictly by the date on the milk bottle, and I have natural gas sensors in my home. I gravitate toward unscented products anyway (laundry soaps, deodorant, etc) for a couple of basic reasons:
1. I have no way of knowing whether something is too strong/I have too much, and I don't want to ever be that guy...
2. I occasionally do actually get a "whiff" of something, which doctors have told me is either me tasting it or it is the trigeminal nerve conveying a "smell" to my brain (it tells you when there are fumes, among other things). When this happens, it makes me nuts because all I know is that a smell "is." It could be me, cologne, fire, poop on my shoe, cookies baking somewhere, or just concrete--I have no point of reference.

So, with that overexplanation, my question is: can any of y'all recommend unscented or VERY mildly scented products I might try? I'd 'preshiate it.

Answers to the usual questions I get, for the record:
-Yes, I can taste. (Different organ, different neural pathway, different part of the brain.)
-Yes, colds make a difference; I can't taste then, either, just like you.
-Farts? Just a funny noise to me. I've been told I'm great to drink with. :biggrin:
-Cookies. I'm most curious about cookies. Also coffee, rain, bread, fresh-mowed grass, roses, and yes, farts (I am curious!)

Palmolive cream/soap & Arko are mildly scented, good performers & cheap (GTF cocnut soap & cream is a great high end option), Paco Rabanne EAU is a nice light aftershave & both types of skin food are nice & subtle.

I'm going to take a little different angle here.
I'd recommend something with some style, but not necessarily something strong. We have all commented on the lack of staying power on most of the bay rum products. Most of us like one version of it or another. Of course, our friend bluestaco won't smell it either way, but I'd like to help his friends and acquaintances out a little bit and make sure he doesn't offend! :w00t:
Maybe an bay rum scented soap or cream, or simply a small amount of a bay rum aftershave which will leave a little scent, nothing offensive (you won't be THAT guy Bluestaco! ), for a short period of time.

YMMV

I think Taylor's hypo-allergenic cream is unscented.

Nivea's ASB is very lightly scented, but I don't really care for it that much. Once it dries up my face feels like it's dry. The skin itself isn't actually dry, but I kinda get that tight dry skin feeling.

I've been using jojoba oil as an aftershave. It has a very light, bad, smell in large quantities. You can't smell it once it's on your skin. I plan on picking up the Thayer's unscented in the near future.

I have heard it said that Neutrogena Unscented glycerin soap gives a good shave. KMF Unscented is also a good suggestion - not my favourite cream but really scentless. I'd suggest also an alum block as an aftershave.

Best Regards

Graham

Art of Shaving has a great unscented aftershave balm. No scent at all and is a great moisturizer.

I would just look for "unscented" on any shave product. They are usually designed for people with very sensitive noses. So most, if not all, the companies do a really good job of having little or no scent.:001_smile

and +1 on KMF products. They have an unscented, and the cream is fantastic, especially for the price.

And it doesn't have to be unscented. The Lavender with Shea butter and the Lime have such a mild scent that you'll never be on of those guys.

I think Trumpers Eau de Portugal (cologne) is a good bet - it's youthful and fresh and one could never over-apply - simply because after the initial jubilant rush of beautiful orange it settles down to a nice subtle smell. It's quite inoffensive, being light, juicy and fresh. Check out my review for it and see if my very vivid description can help describe, through mere words, something of the olfactory sensation communicated by it.

GREAT Post. Very fascinating. Thanks for sharing and let us know which unscented shaving products you like the best.

Top Bottom