What's new

i'm new! yaqi dlc, to ming shi, to doc, to gc .84oc - getting there...

Hi All!

I've been reading lots of posts trying to figure out DE shaving. I was an electric shaver for about 25 years, but got sick of the time it took to shave if I left growth longer than one day. My beard is very thick. Moved back to cartridges for a few weeks, and found them time wise a lot more efficient, and decided i was done with the electric. It's in the bin...But the cost of the replacements then annoyed me... So I bought a budget Yaqi DLC and Yaqi synthetic brush. I could see this was a good move, but far too many cuts, and irritation around my neck. Then I tried a ming shi 2000s thinking I needed adjustable to tame it - didn't really help. Then reading the Yaqi DOC was a lot less agressive, I gave that a shot. And wow it's great. This has to be the ultimate beginner razor. I could do just about anything with this, and wouldn't get ANY irritation or cuts. This was with my favourite blade Voskhod. I gave it a few weeks, and while it was smooth and irritation free, it began to annoy me that I needed to do 4 passes to get a close enough shave, and thought there had to be something better. At this stage, I decided to give the yaqi dlc another try. And to my surprise I could now shave with this razor without cuts, but still a bit of irritation around my neck. It showed me I had improved technique with the risk free DOC, and that i could now handle something like the DLC. Next issue I had was the yaqi DLC blade didn't align perfectly every time like the DOC did. So figured I needed something similar to the Yaqi DLC, but better quality. I got a game changer 0.84 open comb (I was looking for quality at a reasonable price). I'm very pleased with it. I wouldn't say it's stunning to look at, but manufacturing is perfect. I'm happy to say this will be my last razor purchase. Only problem I had left now was some irritation around my neck. I'm sure it's technique related, and making sure i stick with the grain only on my neck (which can be a bit difficult in some spots). I'm confident this will get better. My last discovery two days ago is aftershave, which I have never used before. I was using Nivea balm once I moved to wet shaving, but didn't seem to do much for my irritation. Then I tried Nivea Deep aftershave (because it was cheap as...), and to my surprise this really got my neck irritation under control to the point I am now more satisfied than the results I achieved with the DOC. That's because I can do 3 passes, and get an better shave than the DOC everywhere but my neck which gets a very good shave. I'm looking forward to more discoveries, and wondering if I will ever get to the point where I can use some of the other sharper blades I have - but also very content with where I'm at now. Thanks for the website and the very useful forum posts for getting me to where I am now.

Don't be afraid of sharper blades

A couple of other blades I have tried are personna lab blue, and gillette silver blue, and both give me a lot more cuts than the voskhod. I can normally tell when I have done something daft, but the voskhod seems to not result in me bleeding like these I think are sharper do. I'll probably give it a few more weeks, and test them again to see if it/I have improved.

my favorite blade in the gc .84 is the gillette silver blue. try it if you haven't.

Yes tried this one. Not working for me for now, but will keep trying (along with about 20 other blades I have bought to try...). The voskhod and rapira range are ones I know I can use for now without too much damage!

Top Bottom