What's new

Im new, and dont know anything...

Hey all... new guy from Chicagoland! Obviously, I am new to the forum, "wet shaving", and really all things involved. Recently decided to switch from cartridge shaving to double blade old school wet shaving. I have pretty sensitive skin, so I figured this was worth a shot!

In saying that, what I do know is 1. I like it 2. I can see how this "hobby" can lead us down a rabbit hole and 3. how I need a reliable place to come to, to get the right info.

I have joined a few FB groups, but I know that everyone on FB is a expert and its easy to get bad info there... Forums typically are a better place IMO to come to for more reliable intel!

Let me quickly start this post off with the following... I just bought my first razor. Its a "Weishi"... I think its fine, but I am the kind of person who loves getting into super high quality stuff. I am using a synthetic "brush" (if thats what its called), and have tried a Vikings blade non lather cream (which I do not like), and a generic soap puc lather (which I also dont like).

I need some advise on equipment and product!

To add to that, I would like to acquire a few vintage shavers... I just think they look great! What I am considering is a Gillette Red Tip and Gillette Fat Boy.

Outside of those, does anyone have any thoughts or advise? I know this is a super loaded first post, but figure I might as well jump in head first:)

If you are in Chicago, go here;
Tell them you are new and you have been lead there by the gods of shaving.
In all seriousness, they should be able to more than help you out.

Ill def look into this spot!

Welcome to the forum!

The advice above is good, but rough when you start out and want to try everything.

When you get settled down, do it. One month, don’t change anything. Same razor, blade, soap and brush.

It’s a seriously invaluable learning experience. When you’re done, you’ll know more about wetshaving than you’ll almost ever need. You‘ll know how the soap performs in any condition, you’ll know instinctively whether or not you’ve added too much water or not enough, you’ll have bled enough to know how much pressure to use, you’ll know when your blades of choice are toast, and you’ll know every angle of your face well enough that you could shave in the dark if you had to.

It’s pretty easy after that, everything you learn translates to other soaps and razors and brushes almost immediately. It’s WORTH IT, trust the guys that say it.

Welcome to B & B. Good advice about sticking with one setup for a month, it’s called a Fixed Four.

Check out the BST section for used gear.

Welcome to the forum!

The advice above is good, but rough when you start out and want to try everything.

When you get settled down, do it. One month, don’t change anything. Same razor, blade, soap and brush.

It’s a seriously invaluable learning experience. When you’re done, you’ll know more about wetshaving than you’ll almost ever need. You‘ll know how the soap performs in any condition, you’ll know instinctively whether or not you’ve added too much water or not enough, you’ll have bled enough to know how much pressure to use, you’ll know when your blades of choice are toast, and you’ll know every angle of your face well enough that you could shave in the dark if you had to.

It’s pretty easy after that, everything you learn translates to other soaps and razors and brushes almost immediately. It’s WORTH IT, trust the guys that say it.

I agree this is solid advise! I am typically a very methodical buyer of any goods. I usually research and know exactly what I want and why prior to making purchases... that’s not to say my wants or needs Dont quickly change.

As mentioned up top though, I do love nice, vintage, and high quality products... My wife jokes and calls me “boujee”, can’t argue with it.

Getting into de shaving was a bit different, did no research and my wife just bought me some stuff she read reviews on for Christmas. I can tell you all, it’s already driving me crazy knowing the gear I have isn’t what I personally really want.

In saying that, I will roll with what I have for a while and see how it goes, but a handful of shaves. I’ve not cut myself once, and have no problem using a blade!
One thing that’s for sure, I hate the cream that I have. It’s just not for me, it’s way to thin and almost a soap like lather, I can tell based on the shaves I’ve had, I want a little thicker lather. The brush is also not for me... it’s just junk. I can 100% tell the quality in it is just garbage as within one mix and lather “hairs” were falling out.

Looking forward to learning and reporting back as I go!

Welcome to B&B! Dude I'm fixin to tell you something.....

My second DE razor was a Merkur 34C and once I learned about pressure, a Feather blade. Combine that with some Tabac and the Old Spice you can buy at Walgreens, you're on your way to a darn fine day.

I am not entirely new (only a few years in) and don't know much more. One thing I am coming to realize is that there is no reason to rush things. I felt like I was getting good shaves and was enjoying myself but decided to slow down and do a focused lather of my soap last night. All told, the shave didn't take much longer, but I got much better lather and ended up getting the best shave I have had in a while.

One of the things I enjoy about wet shaving is it forces me to take some time out of my day for me. I don't have to worry about my job, my dog, house projects, or what I need to take care of. I just need to avoid cutting myself, maybe smell some nice smells, and end up less hairy than I was before. When I get overconfident, I run into problems or get less great shaves than I should/can. There is no prize for the fastest shaver when you are alone at the sink and taking time to do things right makes each minute more enjoyable and the end product better.

This all ties in with learning your equipment and getting into a groove with things. Enjoy the journey and welcome.

Welcome to B&B! If you're looking for advice, you've definitely come to the right place. My own advice? A really good shave is one of the few deep, self-indulgent pleasures left to a man. Enjoy it daily.

Yeah, already have met some really cool and solid people here! Can’t wait to start posting some relevant stuff!

There’s a lot of variables! Skin types, coarse or fine hair, aggressive or mild razors, daily shavers, every few day shavers, solid bar, open comb, slant, lower end zamak, higher end brass or stainless, prep, Lathers, synthetic brushes, different grades of badger or boar brushes, after shave products, blades, angles and technique, Your in the right place to get good info and advice.

Top Bottom