What's new

I'm done with Hanes undershirts

Costco t-shirts are awesome and great value . . . if you don't want v-neck.

JCPenney has some great heavyweight t-shirts that are equally good.

Rick

I love 2xist's tank-top style undershirts (wife-beater/A-shirt, whatever you want to call them). I have a few that I've been wearing a LOT for several years now, and they're still going strong.

I usually wear them as a base layer under other stuff. I find they keep me warm without bunching up under other layers. On a mild autumn day I might wear the beater tucked in under a long-sleeve T. Winter just brings on more/thicker layers. Summer might bring out the beater alone, untucked, though I find a regular T-shirt better for the hot weather (looser fitting). Anyway, it all hinges on finding a comfortable beater that you can forget is there.

I didn't like the Nordstrom Rack shirts after reading this thread. I have abandoned Haines and Fruit of the Loom as well.

I did find Calvin Kline undershirts at Nordstrom Rack to be great.

Just my two cents.

I'm a big fan of jockey big and tall shirts because their longer than a normal so they stay tucked in better than most undershirts not to mention they are extremely comortable as well

I'm a big fan of jockey big and tall shirts because their longer than a normal so they stay tucked in better than most undershirts not to mention they are extremely comortable as well

Got these and the Dillard's house brand in my rotation now.

Ah, so we have a wife beater wearer. I can ask you my question. What purpose do these shirts serve for you?

Another athletic undershirt (A-shirt, tank top) wearer here. In answer to your question, there are a few purposes that these undershirts serve for me. Typically, my chest and back sweat much more than underneath my armpits so I am more concerned about coverage in those areas. However, if the fit is proper and the armholes are not cut too deep, some sweat protection is provided in the underarm area. Also, they furnish coverage of the nipples when wearing a white or light colored shirt. During the winter months there is an added layer for warmth and in warm weather the wicking away of moisture keeps me cooler. With the scooped neckline, I can unbutton the top one or two buttons after work without the undershirt showing. Finally, it all comes down to comfort and I find the crew or v-necks to be constrictive and the sleeves bothersome.

At the end of the day, it is all about personal preference and what you feel most comfortable wearing. For me, that is the A-shirt.

I see the old Munsingwear are still available.I haven't worn these in half a century ! wonder if they are still good ?

Attachments

• $zzzzzzzzzzzzmmmmm.jpg
    $zzzzzzzzzzzzmmmmm.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 212
Vest, singlet, A shirt = wifebeater. I wore them as a kid in England and then again when I was a Canadian Army infantry reservist.
Benefits of a T shirt without the visibility at the open collar. Why would we not want our underwear showing like the bloody Yanks you may ask ( I paraphrase my old platoon sergeant)? That's because he would cut a neat "v" in in your T shirt if it was showing at the open collar and forcefully remind you that you were in the Canadian Army and didn't flaunt your undies. Nowadays, I would guess T shirts are more the norm.
Cheers,
Brian

I wear wifebeaters, they keep my chest hair from poking out of the crappy shirts I have to wear for work. I also like to wear them to help keep warm in winter or if I wear a buttondown shirt for an evening with the wife.

I have lived in areas that can be very hot and humid for most of my life and I have worn a-shirts for years under dress shirts. Cooler, keeps shirt tails tucked in, and for many of the reasons stated before. I have been churning through different brands for the last five years and have yet to fine a reasonable priced undershirt that can stand up to one year worth of use. That is only fifty-two wearing and fifty-two washings in my normal rotation. Most are developing fray's and holes with in 6 months. I must say SWMBO loves the steady supply of cleaning rags but I am still looking for a brand.

Any suggestion on brands of a-shirts would be appreciated as I need to buy some this week.

I broke down and ordered the Ribbed Tees. Their 50% off promo was the deciding factor - although I did feel that the USPS shipping was a touch higher than it s/b.

The material is nice. The tee shirt's ribbed weave fabric is usually only found on A-shirts (a/k/a "wife beater") and the body of the shirt is long, so it stays tucked.

The one thing that I needed to get used to was that it is a close fitting tee shirt. It is very comfortable and in no way restrictive - but it stays close to your skin. I have worn them under a polo and to work under dress shirts, they remain comfortable all day. They have gone through the washer and dryer with no shrinkage or other issues.

The proof will be about a year from now. By that time, the BJs brand tee shirts that I usually get from Santa have lost their shape and become somewhat wider than they are long. If the Ribbed Tees hold up I will be pleased - even more so if they improve their distribution channels so I can buy them locally or from somewhere that offers free shipping.

I have been wearing the Ribbed Tee every day since December and they are good - but not great. I do think that the close fitting ribbed material is great. They have held up well using the standard washer/dryer routine - the come out of the dryer looking like they are meant for my daughter, but go right back to shape when worn.

The knock: the sleeves. They are about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch too short in length, so they feel like they are going to tuck into your armpit. They dont, but it is a feeling that could easily be solved with just a touch more material. It is what really holds me back from giving these a wholehearted endorsement.

They carry a bit of a premium price tag because they are only available online, no local stores carrying them, so you have to factor shipping into their total cost per shirt. I really like the material, I have grown to prefer the fit, but the sleeves..... I know that the Calvin Klein tees at TJ Maxx are cheaper in every sense of the word, but wearing them for 6 mo and then getting new ones *might* still be preferable.

I will continue with the Ribbed Tees to the end of their life and make a decision. If the go 12 months or longer, I would probable re-order them. If they crap out under 12 months, I will return to the poorer quality, more easily obtained discount dept store tee shirts - and continue my quest for the perfect undershirt.

As with everything, YMMV

I just printed the label for the Ribbed Tees 50% promotion and will mail one in Monday. As soon as I receive the 50% off coupon I will order the 2 pack of a-shirts and see how they wear. Ribbed Tee calls them " Genesis Cotton Tank Top" . Still looking for a few other suggestions, might as well do a comparison of current recommendations. I do ask that suggestions be currently available.

thanks, Dan

I recently got some v necks at wally world, made by Starter and they seem to be holding up pretty well. Obviously since they are wally world, the price is pretty decent as well.

Top Bottom