What's new

I'm done with Hanes undershirts

Just curious, but why do most Americans seem to wear a vest, even when it's warm?

proxy.php

If this is what you are referring to, I do not recommend wearing these shirts because the offer nothing in the way of protection from sweat in the armpits. I wear a short sleeved shirt underneath all my dress shirts because it offers protection from sweat. You don't stop sweating in winter, you know. Plus, I have found since I started wearing one that I am warmer in winter & cooler in summer.

Just curious, but why do most Americans seem to wear a vest, even when it's warm?

What do you mean by "vest"? I don't think many American's wear vests at all.

I do wonder why people wear tank top style undershirts (aka wife beaters). I always thought the main purpose behind and undershirt is to absorb the nasties like sweat and such to keep your other shirts cleaner and from getting pit-stains etc.. I guess they also hide your nipples if you have a thin shirt on top?

What do you mean by "vest"? I don't think many American's wear vests at all.

I do wonder why people wear tank top style undershirts (aka wife beaters). I always thought the main purpose behind and undershirt is to absorb the nasties like sweat and such to keep your other shirts cleaner and from getting pit-stains etc.. I guess they also hide your nipples if you have a thin shirt on top?

See my above post. Rushman is located in Singapore, so what he calls a vest, we Yanks call an A shirt or wifebeater.

Then my answer to why wear an undershirt "even when it's warm" is to absorb sweat and keep your other clothes cleaner. But like I mentioned earlier, "vests" are lousy for this.

Then my answer to why wear an undershirt "even when it's warm" is to absorb sweat and keep your other clothes cleaner. But like I mentioned earlier, "vests" are lousy for this.

I suspect that most Americans do not know or even realize this. I remember seeing a pic of Obama a while back. The lighting was just right so that you could see underneath his white cotton shirt & he was wearing an A shirt or as you folks call it, a vest.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
If you have access to a local Marshall's/T.J.Maxx, the 3 pack of NAUTICA crew neck tees are really great wear to wash and they hold up nicely. 3 packs run 14.99-17.99 depending on markdowns. I bought a 3 pack of them last evening and I already have a dozen or so.

Yes, sorry, "vest" to me means "undershirt" to you guys, whereas what you call a "vest", I'd call a "waistcoat". Divided by a common language.

Ah, so it doesn't specifically mean the Tank top or A-Style "wife beater" undershirt with no sleeves? It covers all undershirts?

You should try them when it's hot outside. They actually help wick the sweat from your body and keep your top shirts drier and cleaner.

I pay almost no thought to my undershirts... I suppose it's people like me that go along with whatever crap they package cheaply and never complain or stop buying that ensures they'll continue a downward trend quality wise. To me, they're just undershirts. I buy them kind of smallish. By the time they get broken in (or worn out, possibly depending on your perspective) they go on easy, are still snug enough to keep a close profile to my body, but not so snug as to be uncomfortable. I've not noticed lasting pit stains... but I never look, and when I'm wearing an undershirt, it's usually under a dress shirt, and I try not to sweat in those anyways. I'll probably wear a set of shirts for a couple of years before they start developing holes. That's an indication to me that they need replacing, but I usually end up procrastinating and it could be months later that I finally get around to getting a new set. I dunno. I get the impression that this is kind of a faux pas. It doesn't bother me and I've never heard anybody comment on the sorry state of my undershirts.

As for the t-shirt/a-shirt debate... I wear both. I agree, that the concept of the a-shirt doesn't make much sense... except to hide nipples. Perhaps chest/back hair? I don't have any chest/back hair, so I'm not sure if that's a problem. If it is for sweat issues, then I do the exact wrong thing with them. I tend to go with t-shirts when it's cold and a-shirts when it's hot out. Just how I roll.

Please note, I'm not attempting to get down on anybody for their preference for high quality undershirts. I just always assumed that most people felt a similar way to me, but judging by the longevity of this particular subject, I think it's interesting to point out that not only do a lot of people apparently care, but they're kind of passionate about it. Really, just pointing out my own apparent ignorance on this subject.

Well I have to agree that hanes do yet getting crappy at the pits. But again they are cheap and work for folks like me who didnt think much of it or were ignorant. I have tried the costco T-shirts- a lot thicker a lttle longer, but seem to be holding well for me. It always amazes me what I learn at B&B, I guess I am either plain cheap and ignorant about a lot dressing related stuff. Guess some of us will never get to try the expensive things (which is so subjective at B&B). The nice thing a lot of things I buy compared to a lot of folks can only be defined as CHEAP. I live in a town with Walmart being the only clothing store, I am lucky I dont shop there.

Ah, so it doesn't specifically mean the Tank top or A-Style "wife beater" undershirt with no sleeves? It covers all undershirts?

You should try them when it's hot outside. They actually help wick the sweat from your body and keep your top shirts drier and cleaner.

Yes, I guess so - but when I think of a "vest" the first thing that comes to mind is the wife beater style.

I must say it would never occur to me to wear one here. I have a couple in the back of the drawer for times when I go to more temperate climes and find them quite useful then.

For the record, they are short sleeved, v-neck in white and I think they are Jockey brand. I have actually ordered a thermal one from M&S as I may be in France for a week in Jan and if so I may need something extra!

Last edited:
I don't think of myself as one to spend much on clothing, either time or money, but I have been annoyed for years at my cheap Fruit Of the Loom and the Hanes under shirts. The collars just looked tacky after a while (three wear/wash cycles) and they all shrunk, even with line drying. I'm long torsoed and. . .um. . .portly, so I need a 3x that stays tucked in. Finding a non-premium brand that holds up and comes in tall sizes was just a great little luxury I could afford. A little gift to myself. They feel great and look great. Makes me happy!

I broke down and ordered the Ribbed Tees. Their 50% off promo was the deciding factor - although I did feel that the USPS shipping was a touch higher than it s/b.

The material is nice. The tee shirt's ribbed weave fabric is usually only found on A-shirts (a/k/a "wife beater") and the body of the shirt is long, so it stays tucked.

The one thing that I needed to get used to was that it is a close fitting tee shirt. It is very comfortable and in no way restrictive - but it stays close to your skin. I have worn them under a polo and to work under dress shirts, they remain comfortable all day. They have gone through the washer and dryer with no shrinkage or other issues.

The proof will be about a year from now. By that time, the BJs brand tee shirts that I usually get from Santa have lost their shape and become somewhat wider than they are long. If the Ribbed Tees hold up I will be pleased - even more so if they improve their distribution channels so I can buy them locally or from somewhere that offers free shipping.

Top Bottom