What's new

If you won the lottery, what would you buy / or do?

I always found this topic interesting. This article describes what I would do. I would probably spend 10% of it on purchases, give an annual gift to family members to keep them from getting jealous and hating me, and invest the rest, probably 60/40 in very risky/non-risky investments. I would seek out the best private wealth manager in the US to manage my money with the intent to grow it.

I've thought about this. I wouldn't change a thing in my lifestyle. I would certainly not quit my job, because I love it and because humans need to be productive. I wouldn't even pay off my house.

I would invest it all conservatively so as to earn interest. A small amount of that interest would supplement my income to make life that bit more enjoyable. But I'd continue to pay the mortgage, drive my crappy car, etc. The rest of the interest would be charitable donations.

Apart from SWMBO, nobody would know I'd won the lottery.

After living like that for a year or two, I might consider some lifestyle changes: move to a nicer house, go part-time at work, etc. But these would be very gradual changes. I think that when people allow themselves to be defined by a windfall, it is likely to end in tears. Yet of course it's human nature to go over the top in those circumstances. That human nature needs to be strongly resisted in order to maintain a satisfying life of meaningful work and experiencing the everyday human struggles that bind us to society.

How's that for an answer? ;)

I like your thinking. Good answer.

I would invest in myself. Go back to school, finish college and go to school for dentistry.

You know what... after seeing how a friends uncle who's a dentist lives/works, I agree.
He works like 23 hours a week and makes a bunch of money. Gets to golf and do whatever he wants when he wants.

In fact, getting in to see him is a pain because he barely works!
I think I could handle 20 hours a week as a dentist.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I would lease a C130, fill it up with medicine, and supplies and send it to Cuba on a humanitarian mission. On it's way home I would make sure it was filled to the brim with cigars, Havana Club rum, and 50's era Chevy's.

After that, I'd buy ton of land out by Ted Nugent so he and I could plant trees, grill animals and shoot guns.

I would buy the rights to the entire collection of Bee Gee's songs and have them eradicated from the planet.

Lastly, I would have a 7 day set of McLaren F1s, and for a daily driver a Ibis Tek customized Suburban.

[13]punch glen beck and James Carrville really REALLY hard in the face, then hire a crack legal team to get me out of trouble
There's no need to wait for the lottery ... I'm sure you could find 1,000,000 people that would gladly pay $1 each to see this happen.

I would first call my parents and tell them they are quitting their jobs; I would give them money to retire.
Help my one brother get his business off the ground.
Cover my youngest brother's cost of medical school.
Knock off me and my fiance's debts from law school, buy us a nice house, and then--believe it or not--just keep going to school: I'd go back and get a LL.M, an engineering degree, a Ph.D, etc. etc.

Pay off my son's student debt and mortgage which today are quite resonable, and set him up in private law practice.

Next is a fairly large parcel of property in the N Georgia mountains which I like. I would buy it, build a nice house, large hobby workshop and shooting range, then set back and enjoy life wikth the wife.

I really can't think of any material items I want. Maybe learn a new skill, I've done the same thing for almost twenty years now. The money would probably just sit for a while.......I really don't want very much.

I know there's a snowball's chance in hell that i'll win the lottery but I like to dream.

here's what i'd do:

- claim the prize anonymously. I don't need every Tom, Dick & Harry knocking on my door asking for a handout. let alone having my mug all over the 6 o'clock news.

- once the money is in my bank account i'd pay off all debts and maybe move. I'm sure i'd buy myself a few toys here and there but for the most part I'd be pretty frugal with my purchases. I'd probably buy a lakeside cabin, a new home, and maybe a vacation home someplace warm. I'd also consider travelling.

- i'd create a list of charities that I support and donate money.

- i'd give some money to family members

- i'd hire an accountant and invest my money wisely

Top Bottom