What's new

If the unthinkable happened

It is a relevant question, and one that I prefer not to think about. I plan on laying in stock of blades very soon just in case. I think 1500 blades or so ought to do it.:w00t:

With such devout followers, I don't think the church of DE shaving will stop making "wafers".

Oh, and besides, I'm really falling in love with my Futur. It is simply the best one in my rotation! Simple to use, consistently good shave and oh, so wonderful to hold and to look at!

:eek:)
Perkus

Futur
then Vision
then 39c
then Feather TAS-DS
then... ?

I would probably switch to trying some SE razors, as it seems SE blades are made for commercial usage and not likely to become unavailable anytime soon.

It wouldn't matter to me. I've been so busy "saving money" by not buying cartridges that I have enough Razors, Blades, and Soaps to last through both mine and my son's lifetimes.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I can't think about the unthinkable as that would make it thinkable and then I wouldn't have been thinking about it, ya think?:blink::blink:

In this hopefully unlikely scenario, I would certainly go to straights. I am particularly intrigued by the Feather straights. Presumably they would continue to make blades for this.

I doubt it would happen in anyone's lifetime here... Much of the world still uses DE razors primarily (I know they do in India.) Its like worrying if the Sun will turn into a supernova and consume the Earth... it may happen, but not in our lifetime...

No, of course there isn't. I was using it as a never say never example. Did anyone years ago imagine that the federal government would be mandating the type of light bulb we use in our homes?

There's a huge difference between setting federal standards for a class of products' manufacture or performance and outlawing a whole class of products.

You can still make any light bulb you want, as long as it meets certain standards. Similarly, if someone started making asbestos razor blades, the gov't would be within it's rights to ban them.

To get back to the OP's question, if magically all DE blades in existence were all raptured away suddenly, you'd just apply the same basic techniques with cartridges that you do with a DE. Technique and prep far outweigh the blade you use when it comes to getting a good shave.

I've probably only got enough blades to last a couple of years, gonna stock up soon though, because I've not got much room for any more creams/soaps. But if TOBS Jermyn Street stopped production...:crying:

Use a straight razor, if DE blades go out of fashion :) But hey, the chinese will be manufacturing everything that can be sold forever.

At 32 I've probably got another 50 years of shaving to go. At my current rate of usage that comes to 5,000 blades. Even though they don't rust I doubt the last 2,000 or so of those blades would be much good by the time I come to use them. Plus that's a thousand pounds which would be an eye-watering amount to drop on any shaving kit, never mind razor blades, for the sake of "just in case".

If at some point in the future the DE blade wasn't available anymore, I'd go for the best single blade razor I could find. I've found the Bic sensitives are good. Maybe I'd even have a go at straights.

What is more likely is a particular blade is no longer made. Only Feathers give me truly tug-free shaves so I may well go for the straight if they are no longer available.

The question isn't if they will outlaw DEs it's when will they outlaw them. Those blades are sharp on both sides you know and aren't protected by plastic and while were at it those pesky straights have got to go as well. :lol:

The most outrageous price for DE-blades I've seen is € 7,50 for 5-pack of Gillette Platinum Double Edges in a downtown grocery store.

If there is people willing to buy blades with such prices there will be always people selling stuff which makes such profit margins. The disappearance of blades from the most of the stores just increases prices in the few stores that still sell them.

I'd probably just grow a beard. Seriously. Or teach myself to use and maintain straights.

In the mean time, maybe I need to up my purchases on that SE and Injector blade group buy? 200 of each might not be planning ahead enough. I definitely need more DE blades though.

B&B should just end the stress of the shavepocolypse once and for all. Members buy in to the "Shaving Doomsday Vault" which is a storage container somewhere in the US which will be filled to the brim with blades. I figure razors would be cheap if blades were hard to find, so no need to hoard them.

Pretty much this. I want to try straights but I am still too much of a scaredy cat to take the plunge. I think the lack of DE blades would expedite the "getting over it" process because I really would hate to go back to cartridges.

The bark of straight razors is worse than its bite, if you want to give them a shot, go to the straights forum and we will start you off gently.

Top Bottom