What's new

IF $$$'s DID NOT MATTER

One of the main reasons I started DE shaving was to save a little money, now almost six months later, I have probaly spent 3-4 years worth of cartridges on shaving gear.
I keep telling my wife that it soon will settle, when I have gotten all that I need, then I won't need to buy anything for a long time :tongue_sm (I don't think I'm fooling her anymore)

So no, money does not matter, I would still use straights and DE's now that I have discovered it :001_tt1:

Last edited:
If the only criteria for shaving was whether you got a close shave, then yes, price would probably be the deciding factor. But I, and a lot of other shavers here, feel that there's more to a shave than just how short the whiskers are chopped off. I know for a fact that my skin is in much better condition since I switched to a DE razor and am now using quality ingredients and tools for my morning ritual. Probably the biggest factor for me is that DE shaving just gives me satisfaction and a better overall feeling when starting my day.

+1 Couldn't agree more! :thumbup1:

David

If I could get Sensor Excel cartridges for the price of an Astra SP blade, I would probably use a Sensor at least 3 days/week. I don't mind a cartridge shave, but I don't like M3 or Fusion.

If I switched back to full-time cartridge shaving I would miss the challenge of getting a great shave with my DE, though, so I'd still want to shave a few times a week with my Slim.

Guys trust me i am not advocating using a fusion or any of the multi bladed contraptions Gillette is making. I agree it is hard to beat a DE or Straight shave. The cost was not why I switched either it was just a combination of finding a more enjoyable way to scrape this barbwire jungle off my face in the morning. :wink2: I have been using a brush and cream for years. A little late in coming to a DE however I am here now and am not going back to the duller side....:001_smile

Last edited:
For me, it was initially the money I was shelling out for new cartridges that gave me the interest in switching to something else. Finding out that the DE shaves where better than what I was getting with Mach 3s was nice too! I never tried any of the Gillette Fusions. I am still a fan of the Gillette Sensor. It gave great shaves too. If money didn't matter, I may still be using a Gillette Sensor.

If the only criteria for shaving was whether you got a close shave, then yes, price would probably be the deciding factor. But I, and a lot of other shavers here, feel that there's more to a shave than just how short the whiskers are chopped off. I know for a fact that my skin is in much better condition since I switched to a DE razor and am now using quality ingredients and tools for my morning ritual. Probably the biggest factor for me is that DE shaving just gives me satisfaction and a better overall feeling when starting my day.

Snargle, I don't think it could be stated any more eloquently than that!! Well said!! :thumbup1:

If $$$$ didn't matter???

The truth is $$$ does not matter, the majority of us have way more invested in supplies than the fusion user . . . No, I enjoy them and no one gets hurt

My dad gave me a Gillette tech 50 years ago and admonished me to get that peach fuzz off my face. I still remember him with Williams soap on his face and a Lucky Strike hanging from his lips doing his morning shave. He fought in 3 wars, was kind to mom, strict to his 3 sons, taught us to stick together and stand up for what we believed, and saw us all through college; they don't build them like that anymore.

HELL NO, $$$$ has nothing to do with it,
ken

Today's world could use more dads like the ones we used to have!!

It's all about the outcome . . . both results and pleasure . . . which are both much higher with DE, (or SE or a straight) a good brush, and a puck of good-lathering, nice-smelling soap! :thumbup1:

I personally derive a better shave from my DE than fusions etc. I think the whole money arguement is slightly offset by the fact that most of us here spend significantly more on soaps, brushes etc than we ever did when using electrics and fusions.

I always found cart razors not aggressive enough, I could not get any where near BBS w/o lots of passes, and tore my face apart as a result. Even if priced the same, I just get a better shave from my short comb NEW than I ever have from a cart. Even if the price was equal, DE for me it is just a better shave in fewer passes, period.

Having no limit to funds wouldn't change my decision to switch to the DE from the Mach3 (although if I'd won the lottery 2 years ago I almost certainly wouldn't have had the motivation to find this place). There are probably millionaires who get so-so shaves from their fusions and the like, but aren't fussed by the cost.

There are probably millionaires who get so-so shaves from their fusions and the like, but aren't fussed by the cost.

You mean like this...? On sale for $150 (regularly $182 + shipping + sales tax). Better hurry before they're all gone!

proxy.php

ProGlide Power Razor + 8 Pack ProGlide Blades

Leaving money out of consideration, I could live with the Fusion, or better yet, a Schick Hydro. I prefer the shaves I get with a number of my injectors and SE razors, more comfortable while shaving, and less chance of irritation afterward. I'm less sure of the superiority of DE razors, but maybe if I used them more I'd prefer them, too.

My current obsession with shaving started because it was becoming temporarily harder to find Atra cartridges locally, and I started to look into other possibilities. If Fusion cartridges had been significantly cheaper, I probably would just have moved to them, and never discovered my current favorite razors. I wouldn't have looked for shaving advice on the Internet, and wouldn't have learned to lather with soap and brush. Thanks Gillette.

As it was, I tried the Fusion only after I'd already started using classic safety razors, just out of curiosity. Didn't work badly, and I used up the two cartridges that came with it, but I'm not really tempted to go back.

Last edited:
Even if they were giving them away, I could never go back to using carts. In the past 13 months, I used a cart once and it sucked.

I would still use a DE, the shaves are better and I don't get the ingrowns that I did with cartridges. Initially, the DE route has cost me more money but even with all the products I have bought I think it is actually more cost effective long term. I have enough soap, creams, and blades to last a couple years at a fraction of what I would spend on enough canned goo and cartridges to last the same length of time. Even if you figure in the cost of the razors and brushes, I think it will still be cheaper when you spread those costs over the decades of use they will provide.

I'm one of those guys whos skin has improved dramatically since discovering DE shaving.

$$$ don't matter if i'm buying anything DE shaving related. :001_tt1:

If money were no object, I'd have a master barber give me a straight razor shave every morning.

+1

Just about the coolest thought I have heard in awhile. Now that would be grand to awake to a cut throat laid upon my neck every morning by a master barber.

:001_smile

Top Bottom