What's new

IF $$$'s DID NOT MATTER

I was wondering if all things considered and the new Gillette blades were the same price as a double edge blade would their still be a debate on which ones we enjoyed using. I from time to time use a fusion more so when i am traveling and for me at least i get a a shave as close as my Edwin Jagger DE89L with a feather blade. Again just a thought.

Now that I have "seen the light", I wouldn't be using the Fusion regardless of price. There are simply far better razors available. Five blades is severe overkill.

If we are considering just razors available at Walmart, the Schick Hydro 3 is many times better than just about anything else available on the market (note, this statement doesn't include the Trac II, Atra, or Sensor, as handles are not easily available at every shaving aisle).

Last edited:
If the only criteria for shaving was whether you got a close shave, then yes, price would probably be the deciding factor. But I, and a lot of other shavers here, feel that there's more to a shave than just how short the whiskers are chopped off. I know for a fact that my skin is in much better condition since I switched to a DE razor and am now using quality ingredients and tools for my morning ritual. Probably the biggest factor for me is that DE shaving just gives me satisfaction and a better overall feeling when starting my day.

Fusion is expensive even if was offered for free :lol:. There is no question (regardless of price) of which is better. Money is not the debate, imho...well, it's the start. Most of us started to save money. But if you look at most folks' shave dens, they have considerably more $$ invested in them than with a fusion.

I am a newbe at wet shaving with a DE razor, (1 week tomorrow 12/11/2010). I use a Edwin Jagger DE89L with a feather blade and have had VERY FEW nicks and NO cuts. The nicks occur in the same place they would as if I was using a Fusion or the Shick Hydro 5. I have tried many of these razors and have now found that I LOVE DE shaving I feel I get a MUCH closer shave with the EJ DE89L with Feather Blades than I ever have before. I am done with the HIGH PRICED REFILLS of Fusion and Hydo 5. The BEST things in life are SIMPLE! In the near future I may try Red Personnas or Crystals, so far my favorite is Feather.

Price wasn't a factor at all in my moving to shaving with a DE. After years of irritation and ingrown whiskers trying every new fangled multi bladed monster I found out about the potential benifits of shaving with a DE and traditional methods.

Personally I get a much more comfortable shave with my DE and would happily pay more (and with all of the stuff I have been ordering I am paying wayyy more so far)

Marc

I would still use straights and SEs.

Actually, it would be great if you could get new, quality straight razors for the price of a fusion! :laugh:

For me, price was the impetus that got me back to how I first started shaving what seems like a century ago! :w00t: However, periodically when I travel I use the Fusion cart and after a day or two realize two things: (1) my beard seems to grow back faster since I do not get as close a shave, and (2) I can't wait to get back home to my DE shaving again.

Now, with all the razors, brushes, creams, soaps, etc. that I have, price is not when keeps me on this road. Rather, it is what can be called the DE - wet shaving experience. Sort of like after you have a meal at a great 4 start restaurant going back for a cheap meal at McDs.

Personally, I enjoy the challenge of trying to attain the best shave possible. While, carts are very expensive and often give me great results, DE allows me to learn my face and I happen to enjoy the process as a whole. I can carefully manuever my Stylo around my face and get fantastic results. When I do use a cart, it's a Mach 3!

I have been shaving with a DE for about two months and getting super shaves, my face feels great and more importantly, people are asking me if I lost weight or just got back from vacation.

My facial skin is in such better shape. I would use the DE even if it was more expensive.

Actually, with the help of B&B it is more expensive :lol::lol::lol:

My face simply feels better after a DE/straight shave than it ever did after a cartridge shave. Maybe it's because prep becomes a requirement. I only used shaving oil with the cartridges. I could experiment using DE prep with a cartridge shave, but I'm in no hurry to try it. I don't think it would even save any time. I can always use oil with a DE if I'm in a mad rush. (I have tested that, it works great.)

I didn't throw away my multi-blade cartridge because of $$$.

I switched to traditional wet shaving because I get better shaves with less irritation.

If $$$$ didn't matter???

The truth is $$$ does not matter, the majority of us have way more invested in supplies than the fusion user and the rest want to finish school or get a promotion so they can buy more.

Saving money per shave is a great rationale, but it ain't my motivation

Do I need 18 razors in rotation?
Do I need 30 soaps/creams, mostly still sealed????
Do I need 500 blades, 8 brushes, 16 AS, 6 balms?????

No, I enjoy them and no one gets hurt

My dad gave me a Gillette tech 50 years ago and admonished me to get that peach fuzz off my face. I still remember him with Williams soap on his face and a Lucky Strike hanging from his lips doing his morning shave. He fought in 3 wars, was kind to mom, strict to his 3 sons, taught us to stick together and stand up for what we believed, and saw us all through college; they don't build them like that anymore.

HELL NO, $$$$ has nothing to do with it,
ken

I didn't throw away my multi-blade cartridge because of $$$.

I switched to traditional wet shaving because I get better shaves with less irritation.

+1.. it was very much the same with me. I found myself using the cartridges for 20+ (mediocre) shaves mostly because I wanted to save $$$. I don't feel guilty tossing a DE blade after 3 shaves.

Money aside, I still find that I get better shaves from a DE. The multi-blade carts just irritated my face a lot (try 5 passes in the same direction without re-lathering in between). Plus, it's just a much more pleasurable experience overall.

If $$$$ didn't matter???

The truth is $$$ does not matter, the majority of us have way more invested in supplies than the fusion user and the rest want to finish school or get a promotion so they can buy more.

My dad gave me a Gillette tech 50 years ago and admonished me to get that peach fuzz off my face. I still remember him with Williams soap on his face and a Lucky Strike hanging from his lips doing his morning shave. He fought in 3 wars, was kind to mom, strict to his 3 sons, taught us to stick together and stand up for what we believed, and saw us all through college; they don't build them like that anymore.

ken

+1

I'm sure many of us spend more on cable TV than blades.

What would be do for fun without debates? I guess if Gillette came out with six different Fusion blades it would be possible to get as personalized a shave as with DE (Fusion-Shark vs. Fusion-Derby vs. Fusion-Feather?).

Some of us do prefer the pivoting action of a cartridge razor. I've tried both Fusion and Mach 3 and personally prefer the Fusion. As the old commercial used to say: "Expensive, but I'm worth it!".

If $$$$ didn't matter???

ken

Well said Ken!

The reaon I DE-wetshave is that it gives me the best shaving results.

Absolutely agreed!

This said, I tend to spend much more time and money on shaving nowadays than in times I was using multi-blade cartridges and electric razors and the reason for that is simply that I have, for the first time in my life, started enjoying shaving and since it has become pleasure instead of a nightmare, I don't mind spending some extra money on it

Top Bottom