What's new

If I love Merkur 34C, I should try a.............?

You have a great list above!

I would add that you may consider one of the EJ89 series; lovely razors in the mild/moderate range.

A modern SS may also fit the bill, perhaps Karve, AS/D2, ATT or even Wolfman (if you have the patience). :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

You have a great list above!

I would add that you may consider one of the EJ89 series; lovely razors in the mild/moderate range.

A modern SS may also fit the bill, perhaps Karve, AS/D2, ATT or even Wolfman (if you have the patience). :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Nope. No patience, lol. I want to like it right away. I once had the patience, but am too busy these days. I just want a great shave without pain or blood.

Nope. No patience, lol. I want to like it right away. I once had the patience, but am too busy these days. I just want a great shave without pain or blood.
Oh another plug for a Karve as well. A bit more expensive, but very nice razors. I would put their "B" plate somewhere in the range of the 34c in terms of aggressiveness. I was lucky and snagged one off the forum that had the A, B, C plate all included.

You might also enjoy using your 34C (G?). You have a razor you love and you want a different one? Sounds a little crazy.

Maybe load up on some different soaps instead.

I suppose I was using the 34 as the basis for “growth” where I might try something that may be different and introduce a razor that I may find myself enjoying even more is all.

I totally appreciate my 34c and use it more than any other.

Oh another plug for a Karve as well. A bit more expensive, but very nice razors. I would put their "B" plate somewhere in the range of the 34c in terms of aggressiveness. I was lucky and snagged one off the forum that had the A, B, C plate all included.
Thank you!

perhaps! I am not thrilled with vintage superspeeds. The don’t remove much per pass for me. Which modern one would you recommend?
I, as a newish DE shaver and person who likes the 34c, did not particularly enjoy the super speed. Probably with more experience and different blades it would be better. I don’t think it’s a good comparison to the 34c, YMMV.

I, as a newish DE shaver and person who likes the 34c, did not particularly enjoy the super speed. Probably with more experience and different blades it would be better. I don’t think it’s a good comparison to the 34c, YMMV.
I had the same experience

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Partly to help deal with the fear and isolation of the early spring this year, I embarked on a tour of (some) slants. If you're familiar with research design, it was what's known as a "convenience sample" which is a book-larnin' way of saying I grabbed a few that attracted me and tried them. I did not try ones I don't like, or that were too far off from my preferences. More fool me, but I can go back and do more any time. (And will; I'm already collecting a new pile of slants.)

If you like the 34 you'd like the 37, is my feeling. Looks like you have that already.

I find the 37 to be pretty mild and smooth. What I don't like about it is the short handle, though I can use it just fine. I picked up a RazoRock German 37 earlier this month and I'm favourably impressed. Like a Merkur with more handle choices! I like the balance best with the UFO handle. The HD handle seems to make it head-heavy, and the Bulldog handle seems to make it handle-heavy.

Other similarly mild slants are the Parker Semi-Slant and the iKon X3. All of them fit in the same general price range.

O.H.

Partly to help deal with the fear and isolation of the early spring this year, I embarked on a tour of (some) slants. If you're familiar with research design, it was what's known as a "convenience sample" which is a book-larnin' way of saying I grabbed a few that attracted me and tried them. I did not try ones I don't like, or that were too far off from my preferences. More fool me, but I can go back and do more any time. (And will; I'm already collecting a new pile of slants.)

If you like the 34 you'd like the 37, is my feeling. Looks like you have that already.

I find the 37 to be pretty mild and smooth. What I don't like about it is the short handle, though I can use it just fine. I picked up a RazoRock German 37 earlier this month and I'm favourably impressed. Like a Merkur with more handle choices! I like the balance best with the UFO handle. The HD handle seems to make it head-heavy, and the Bulldog handle seems to make it handle-heavy.

Other similarly mild slants are the Parker Semi-Slant and the iKon X3. All of them fit in the same general price range.

O.H.

thank you for the suggestion!

I returned to my 34G today after using some SE razors this week and was reminded as to why I love the 34C/G so much. It’s mild feeling, effortless, and gets a BBS even with my tough whiskers.

Top Bottom