What's new

Identical Razor differences

I have 2 6/8 TI Le Grelot razors with 3/4-full hollow grinds. The only differences between them are the scales and the vendors I purchased them from. One of my razors is incredibly quiet when I shave. There's almost a "thunking" sound when I go through heavier patches. My other razor does the "spreading butter on toast" sound when I shave - in all areas. It's not as loud as as my 5/8 full hollows, but similar.

Looking at the blades from the toe, the hollowness of the grind looks the same. Both are incredibly sharp, and give great shaves, but the "quieter" razor has a much better feel and something about it is just better. So, I was wondering if the difference between them could be something as simple as the bevel. They were made shave-ready by 2 very well respected people. Or, as I get more shaves on them, should I expect them to become alike - though hopefully not like the louder razor. Or, should I not expect them to become much different?

Last edited:
I don't know whether these razors are different models and perhaps different steels but putting that aside, differences in stropping and/or honing techniques could account for the different shaves. Something as seemingly benign as finishing with five passes on diamond paste as opposed to finishing with five passes on chromium oxide paste could account for the difference. It could be that one person stropped 25 times on latigo and the other person stropped 50 times on horsehide.

Assuming you use the same stropping technique on each razor and you don't bump the edges against anything, each razor will maintain its current characteristics. You'd have to change your stropping technique and/or how you hone the razors to actually change the edge.

I suggest tweaking you stropping technique. Perhaps doing an extra 50 laps on the strop with the louder razor gets it right. Maybe you should use the canvas/linen strop. Many people underestimate how much value and effect there is in stropping.

Top Bottom