What's new

Iconic Fountain Pen?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
My sister called me and told me her son would like a fountain pen as a graduation present. Suggestions? Guide me to biggest bang for the $?

I always recommend Cross FP's as gifts for people.
The Century II series is a nice, recognizable style.
I have one that I've been using for darn near 20 years now. It works just as well as the day I bought it.

Personally, I am a fan of the Townsend series. It's one of their higher end series, maybe not what you're looking for in a gift.

My only other piece of advice is to get one where the recipient can find cartridges and other accessories easily. It's a little annoying when you have to go order everything online for top dollar.

Cross can be found almost everywhere.

How old is the recipient and how much are looking to spend.

If I had to pick one pen as being iconic, it would be my Pelikan 800.

I'm not saying that other pens don't fit this bill, but the Pelikan is a historic brand and this pen's predecessors go back to the early history of the fountain pen.

The fact that its also a great writer (the pen I judge all others by in terms of writing ability) and holds a ton of ink are factors that make this my favourite pen.

Although he might not like the looks of it, a Lamy Safari might be a good choice. It's not too expensive if he decides he doesn't like writing with it. There's the option for both ink cartridges and bottled ink (if you buy a converter). They're made of sturdy ABS plastic and the clip on them is really good. I would recommend either a Fine or Extra Fine nib (I prefer the Extra Fine) because European nib sizes generally run wider than what one would perceive as "Fine" or "Medium."

Nice vintage restored Parker 51, get an aerometric fill vs vac fill if possible.

If he ends up not liking it you/your sister will recoup 90-100% of what you paid for it.

You might like to check the Lamy 2000, Mike. I have quite a few pens and my Lamys are relatively rugged, a cool Bauhaus design and might appeal to a youngster. With a little shopping, you should pick one up new for not much more than $100. Good luck.

proxy.php

My vote is a silver Parker 180. You can find NOS ones for ~$75-100. Classic fighter styling that a youngster would find "cooler" looking. It is versitale as the nib is usually F/M, M/B, etc depending on which way you use it. The nib is stiff enough to fill out carbonless forms such as FedEx/UPS waybills as well.

http://parkerpens.net/parker180.html

18? oh, I thought he was graduating College.
Ok, well maybe stick with a brand like Lamy.
You're not even sure if he'll like using one.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Parker 51 is indeed iconic. Good resale value. If you don't pay too much you should be able to resell for what you paid for it. It's also a nice writer in very classic styling. I like to think of it as the FatBoy of fountain pens.

Although he might not like the looks of it, a Lamy Safari might be a good choice. It's not too expensive if he decides he doesn't like writing with it. There's the option for both ink cartridges and bottled ink (if you buy a converter). They're made of sturdy ABS plastic and the clip on them is really good. I would recommend either a Fine or Extra Fine nib (I prefer the Extra Fine) because European nib sizes generally run wider than what one would perceive as "Fine" or "Medium."

You might like to check the Lamy 2000, Mike. I have quite a few pens and my Lamys are relatively rugged, a cool Bauhaus design and might appeal to a youngster. With a little shopping, you should pick one up new for not much more than $100. Good luck.

proxy.php

I like the Lamy suggestions. I've been very happy with mine.

I am new to fountain pens, I have a Lamy Safari and 2 Twsbi Diamond 530. The Lamy is very nice, and can be had for $25.00-$30.00. I really love both of my TWSBI's. I have a fine nib and an extra fine nib. Both write great! They go for about $50.00. Not high end, but for an 18 yr old that doesn't even know if he is going to like them, not too expensive.

My sister called me and told me her son would like a fountain pen as a graduation present. Suggestions? Guide me to biggest bang for the $?

Couple of questions, does he currently use a fountain pen? If so try to find out which one as this will give you an idea. Since you said "iconic" I would suggest a Mont Blanc 145 or 146. Next to consider is what is he going to use the pen for? His college work? You would want something that holds a lot of ink and writes well. Since this is a graduation present you might want something unique.

My suggestion list.

1. Mont Blanc 145/146 in Fine - Nothing says success like a Mont Blanc in the pocket.
2. Pilot Vanishing Point - Great looking pen, practical, unique, smooth writing.
3. Sailor 1911 large size - Sailor is known for their nibs, wide variety to choose from.
4. Pilot M90 - Fun pen with a unique design.

Since this is a graduation and since he did specifically ask for a fountain pen this suggest he knows something about pens and would like something to mark an important occasion which keeps bringing me back to the Mont Blanc.

Top Bottom