What's new

I wrecked my Vie-long horse brush

Not a biggie but I’m still surprised.

i bought it in addition to my boar brushes but was never happy with it as it was both scritchy and floppy:confused1

Today I gave it a go at headshaving and lathered up some Arko from my Marvy mug and afterwards I had a perfectly tangled center with a scritchy outer fringe. I thought if something like this happens then only over time but nope one time is sufficient.

Yes I might have untangled it once dry but I want to enjoy my shaves and therefore I will bin the knot and keep the nice wood and copper handle.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Scritchy and floppy, now there's a combination I hope I never encounter. I don't even like one of them, let alone both.

Sounds like you made an excellent choice.

My Vie-long did not knot up, but was hard to work and had your same feel .

I think I used it once, and then sold it to someone who cares more about animals than I do.

(Sent from mobile)

Picture
D7FE25D2-1AAF-4EE5-880A-A94D1ED26703.jpeg

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
They tangle with circular movements.....have to mainly paint. You can untangle if you wet it, add hair conditioner (lot) then grab a wide tooth beard comb and comb it till it untangles......it;s a pain. Dry it and then you may need to finish the untangling....
+1 Mine is a champion face painter that I only use with cream. Not scritchy, but certainly floppy. I will give it a comb from time to time. A fairly needy brush and because of that it doesn’t make it into the rotation as much. I’m selective with it.

You can untangle it. First, soak hairs for a few minutes. Then, hold the brush underwater as you comb it out with a wide-tooth comb.

Mashing while moving in circles can lead to problems. It needs a bit different technique. Just use the tips to build the lather. You can use a combo of circles and painting strokes, but don't mash. Comb out the brush every few times you use it.

A shorter, denser horsehair brush is less likely to get tangles or holes.

Do yourself a favor and get a Zenith horse brush instead. They don't have any issues whatsoever.
I'm looking for one of the "extra soft" horse brushes from zenith.

Know a retailer that has one? I think I found one at a retailer with "gentle" in the name. But they were out of stock.

(Sent from mobile)

I'm looking for one of the "extra soft" horse brushes from zenith.

Know a retailer that has one? I think I found one at a retailer with "gentle" in the name. But they were out of stock.

(Sent from mobile)
I only know of thegentleshave and yourshaving.
TGS has some in stock right now: Extra Soft Horse - https://www.thegentleshave.com/collections/extra-soft-horse

I have that copper handle with a boar knot (the B28) and it's gorgeous! The blue handle looks very nice also.

I guess I was bit over eager to load from the deep Marvy mug. The other times I always bowl lathered some cream and this worked ok.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Horse hair is gold for polishing shoes and making violin bows. It should be left to its strengths.
It makes a good shave brush if of the right density and loft. I've heard Zenith gets it right in that regard. I'd take horse before boar myself. Badger and horse feel like hair, whereas boar feels like shredded bamboo or some sort of wet grass to me. I've owned Semogue and Omega but just couldn't come to terms with them.

Tried horse twice and never again. Just so floppy... not suitable for a shaving brush (at least with how I like to lather) in my opinion. May get around to trying a horse/boar or badger mix one of these days.

Top Bottom