What's new

I Will never buy another Thater brush! ** see post # 200***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you might be right SullY...

I have decided to close out my line of H.L. Thäter Shaving Brushes. My loss is your gain...all Thäters must go. Get them while you can. :w00t:

If you go to the website, he has them listed as a clearance item, with the notation that no exchanges or returns are allowed (standard for all clearance sales). I was considering one of these as my top shelf brush prior to the OP's posting, not sure now????

Thanks for all the thoughtful input in this thread!!

Good for Bullgooseshaving. As a small business owner, I would imagine Phil wants a win-win relationship with the various manufacturers he buys from. Moreover, he wants happy customers. Phil gets it. Perhaps Thater doesn't understand the importance of strong brand equity. Push come to shove, at the end of the day, perhaps Phil's only recourse is to cut his losses with Thater, and sell off his remaining inventory. I say this time and time again. As consumers, you can't get the highest quality, receive the best customer service, and pay the lowest price simultaneously.

I've always heard great things about Phil but I've not yet had the pleasure of doing business with him. I may have to rectify that for my next purchase.

Sorry to hear about your Thater. I've never heard of a brush being "crunchy" like that. That's really weird. Let us know how your replacement works out.

I expect this was the last straw for Bullgoose after Thater gave Straight Razor Designs the exclusive on their 2-band brushes. (This is purely conjecture and not based on any first hand knowledge.)

yup, just saw it on his twitter too.

i've had the opportunity to see or try one, but i love the look of the plexi/squared off handles...very classy looking

Last edited:
This whole situation is quite unfortunate.

My brush dries crunchy and lathers with the softest tips of any brush I've ever had.

With those facts stated, the "manual' that comes with the brush is odd. Very specific instructions to not face lather, brush will only last 5-10 years. No liability for negligence of third parties. Warranty void if resold to a third party etc. etc. etc. it all just gave me an uneasy feeling, I mean this is a brush not a $60,000 Benz. With these policies packaged in every brush I can see how they might be a difficult company to deal with as a vendor. . . Or customer.

In sum, nice brush, strange company.

Last edited:
My only question is why did Bullgoose have to have a sell-off sale? If the brushes aren't selling that's one thing; but in this case it seems like it's a statement. And I might be bummed if I recently paid full price for one from Bullgoose.

yup, just saw it on his twitter too.

i've had the opportunity to see or try one, but i love the look of the plexi/squared off handles...very classy looking

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
My only question is why did Bullgoose have to have a sell-off sale? If the brushes aren't selling that's one thing; but in this case it seems like it's a statement. And I might be bummed if I recently paid full price for one from Bullgoose.

It might be that Phil doesn't like the way that Thater does business, and wants to rid himself of their products without taking to much of a hit.

brucered

System Generated
It might be that Phil doesn't like the way that Thater does business, and wants to rid himself of their products without taking to much of a hit.

this is the 2nd line to got his week from BG....Rapira, now Thater. hopefully that's it for a while

Let us know if the replacement brush has the same characteristics. My Thater had coarse, prickly hair when dry - my understanding is that this is typical.

I will. The new brush may be typical as some of you say and dry a little prickly. But, I am sure it will not be like the one I had sent back to Phil. The one I had was more extreme than any of you describe.

The problems I described, whether real or imagined could and should have been checked out by thater and corrected or dismissed at the discretion of a professional brush maker. That was not even offered, thater threw the "2 year warranty" down the toilet and said contact the vender. Phil, is a great guy and I know from him what thater said. That is what upset me the most! I learned that Thater basically has no warranty. I posted this info as an FYI because I value the collective experience here on this forum. I have made almost every purchase ever because of the experience I gain through people on here. There is no such thing as a brick and mortar store to go feel brushes or smell a soap so if 10 guys get on here and say a soap lathers great but it stinks, I take what I learn and make my decision accordingly. So, I shared this with everyone here for that reason, be it a mistake or not is yet to be seen. My point is Thater brushes are good brushes and have many loyal fans, however I learned that a brush is only as good as it's makers warranty or in my case the vender's good will. Thanks again Phil, You have earned a loyal customer and probably more than just me!

It's pretty easy to see. Anyone in business worth his salt knows that you stand behind your products. Phil (of course) stood behind the brush he sold and made good on it when a customer complained about a bad one.

Thäter apparently did not, and left Phil holding the proverbial bag.

How could Phil continue to do business with a company that doesn't stand behind their product? Would any of us continue to patronize a company that behaved in such a manner? Of course not.

I would do exactly the same thing Phil did. Kudos to Phil for behaving in a forthright manner, and shame on Thäter.

Not surprised in the least by Phil's actions. Cheers to him for doing what he thinks is right even if it's not the most profitable.

As for Thater I'm a bit shocked. A brush with their pricetag should have much better customer service associated with it.

Krisbarger, thanks for sharing your experience to assist others with the ever present caveat emptor.

G

gibbled

This is a serious subject I know. I just keep seeing the OP's title, "I found a dead Badger" and laughing...

I purchased a thater from bullgoose at full retail last week. wish I would've waited now. Oh well..... I just used mine about 4 hours ago. It has almost completly dried. The hairs have somewhat clumped together but, I wouldn't say they are hard. It blooms out and is soft if I run my hand across it. I might buy another one now that they are on sale.

Andy

Sorry - to be clear - what I meant was, if Phil wants to stop carrying Thater (I'm not blaming him for his decision) why does this mean he has to have a clearance sale? Presumably these brushes sell quite well and don't need the help of a clearance sale. In ecommerce, shelf space is not an issue. Why not just wait until you exhaust the bulk of your stock and then sell off the odds and ends? I just think if I had bought a Thater from Phil at full price in the past week or two, I'd be ticked that the brushes are suddenly being marked down without warning.

It's pretty easy to see. Anyone in business worth his salt knows that you stand behind your products. Phil (of course) stood behind the brush he sold and made good on it when a customer complained about a bad one.

Thäter apparently did not, and left Phil holding the proverbial bag.

How could Phil continue to do business with a company that doesn't stand behind their product? Would any of us continue to patronize a company that behaved in such a manner? Of course not.

I would do exactly the same thing Phil did. Kudos to Phil for behaving in a forthright manner, and shame on Thäter.

I purchased a thater from bullgoose at full retail last week. wish I would've waited now. Oh well..... I just used mine about 4 hours ago. It has almost completly dried. The hairs have somewhat clumped together but, I wouldn't say they are hard. It blooms out and is soft if I run my hand across it. I might buy another one now that they are on sale.

Andy

For most of us, Thaters are wonderful brushes that are worth full price. It's just that our human nature likes a bargain such as in play now.

Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom