What's new

I Will never buy another Thater brush! ** see post # 200***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Thater brush from a very respected vender on here and received it a speedy manner.

After I took it out it was soft and I proceeded to use it as I have every other brush I have ever had. I lathered up some wool fat and rinsed very well then I lathered up some arlington and rinsed very well then I hit the AOS and rinsed very well squeezed it gave it a couple shakes and put it in the brush hanger.... Next morn it was time to shave.... I picked up the brush and it was crispy like not 11 famous spices crispy but freaking concrete crispy. I ignored this and after wetting it used it and there was no real problems...until it dried again. Then crispy all over again. Now, before you guys think I don't know how to rinse a brush, I KNOW HOW TO RINSE A BRUSH. This entire time I was thinking that "it sure is taking a long time for this to break in". I eventually figured out this is not normal.
I even used shampoo and dish liquid as directed by the vender and still the same thing. I have never had a brush of such quality do this. The vender had a return policy that after 15 days the manufactures warranty kicks in. This is understandable, I took 22 days to contact him, because I kept thinking it was just breaking in. At the venders direction, I took pics of the DRY tips clumped together in very small clumps and sent it to Thater.

This is where the real problem started... Thater confirmed that there was a problem, and said to contact the Vender and it was their responsibility. I forwarded this to the vender and he said give him some time to contact them. He then contacted me back after only 1 day and said that thater was not going to honor the warranty. He then went on to tell me that he was going to replace the brush for me and to send him back the crusty one and he is gong to send me a new one. This was amazing service NOT FROM THATER but from the vender!

I am writing this for 2 reasons!
1. To let everyone know that i feel that a vender is no better than it's warranty and customer service. The way Thater handled this is sad and unworthy of any future business from me. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER THATER!
2. To praise the vender. I want NO NEGATIVE repercussions for him. He backed up a product that he sold even though the manufacture did not stand behind the product.

So... Bullgoose is a great place to do business. I wanted to Thank him publicly for his handling of this issue. Phil was very professional the entire time and He even said he was going to send me a tub of shaving cream for my trouble. WOW Once again, a reason I love this forum and the guys on here. Just great folks I have never had a problem on the BST. I have meet some great guys on here. Kudos to Phil and Bullgoose.

I am sure many of you are very happy with your Thater's but I hope nothing goes wrong with your brush.

That is the oddest thing for sure. What in the heck would cause such a thing? It's also strange that Thater would acknowledge a problem then pretty much say tough.
Kudos to BG for great service.

Wow. That is incredibly disappointing to read, and thank you for sharing that with the community, Kris. All credit to Phil for being a stand up guy and making sure that his customer is taken care of.

That's pretty interesting. My Thater is crispy after it dries out also, I just figured that there was some left over soap in the brush, or maybe that's the way it dried. If I run my hands over the brush once or twice the crispiness is gone. It sounds like your brush had more extreme problems then mine did. Bullgoose is a stand up vendor.

That's happened to all my brushes at one point or another. I just squeeze them and they go back to soft. No issues so far for me.

Ben

We replace a faulty Rooney brush. Rooney ignore our requests for replacements / refunds when we return the brush to them. We are then out of pocket, stop selling their brushes and value our relationships with existing supportive suppliers just that bit more.
I'm a bit shocked to read this from another shaving forum too. Why some manufacturers don't stand behind their products?
Maybe that why Rooney is not available from any EU/UK vendors?

Hmmmmmm...I used a thater for the first time today. I've used Simpsons exclusively before this. What do you know, the damn thater was crusty! I thought it was a fluke, something I did. And then I read this. Very odd. I've NEVER had this appen with an of my Simpsons.

The same thing happens to my 4125/2, I have only had it about ten days or so and have only used it about 4 times but it definitely dries VERY hard. No other brush I have ever owned has dried this hard (Simpsons mainly). Like the other folks have said, as soon as I run my hand over the dry brush a few times it goes back to being soft. I am wondering if I should try and return the brush to SRD? When wet the brush is extremely soft and a pleasure to use but the hard drying is very weird and concerning to me. Any suggestions?

One thing I did notice while my brush was wet was that the hairs kind of clumped together like a cheap boar. Then, theY just kind of dried that way stuck together and hard. Rubbed it and it got soft, but still I found it very odd.

I will admit, while I was shaving they were the softest tips I've ever felt.

Thater's claim procedure seems perfectly normal in the trade. If I may use an example, let's say a woman buys a Donna Karan dress from Bloomingdale's, and later finds the dress to be defective. The women would be expected to return the dress to Bloomingdale's, not to Donna Karan. Bloomingdale's would then seek restitution from Donna Karan New York.

While I cannot comment on Thater's response to Mr Huntsinger's (Bulldog) claim, it seems obvious that they made this decision without seeing the brush. It was a regrettable decision, Thater having released a justifiably angry customer into the wild to blog about his misfortune.

I just got a thater brush last week. I haven't noticed this with mine. I will pay closer attention when it dries. I will say my rooney 2-band seems to dry a bit hard. I wonder what causes this. Is your thater a 2 band or 3? What is the model number?

I guess it's the nature of certain types of knots to behave this way. My TGN Silvertip Grade A 22/50 does get crusty to certain degree while drying. It's not that extreme but it does it. I don't worry about it. I try to remember to run hand over the tips a few hours after using it. Otherwise, the TIPS ONLY become quite hard.

Glad the vendor took care of it. Hats off to Em!!!!! It seems like more an more manufactures don't stand behind their product or honor their written warranties! I got burned on a truck topper. I went round and round which got me nowhere! I have had over 50 people ask me about my topper when they see it. After I point out the flaws/defects and poor craftsmanship it goes from them wanting one to not wanting one! Word of mouth can be a usefull to for a customer! Sometimes the manufactures and Venodors forget that! My fav classic shave supply vendor burned me on a $160.00 Dovo. I thought for sure when I went to Dovo directly and sent pictures all would be fixed ASAP! hahahahahah! It was a waste of rethinking about getting burned all over again.
I'm a very glad to hear that some vendors still go above and beyond! Obviously not his fault and again thank you for putting customers first in this case.

The Heritage models are a bit like this, the brush is a bit prickly when dry but very soft when wet. As far as I know, they are all like this. Perhaps due to the hair/density.

The Heritage models are a bit like this, the brush is a bit prickly when dry but very soft when wet. As far as I know, they are all like this. Perhaps due to the hair/density.

I have a Heritage Stubby 2. It is not hard and crusty. Never has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom