What's new

I Will never buy another Thater brush! ** see post # 200***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah this thread got me thinking a bit and I hate to say that I really don't see the problem here. Brushes do dry, sometimes "crusty". However they become very soft again with addition of water or even rubbing your hands over them. Not to discredit the OP but I just cant imagine a brush being this faulty. This is where pics would help. I am glad Phil took care of the problem but dont see that it his responsibility. I contacted a vendor I purchased a Simpson's brush from and immediately I was sent to Simpson's. No it wasn't resolved.

+1 Dense knots can to behave that way. My Rooney 1Xl does and so does one of my Thater. You run the hand over it or rinse it again. It does not impact performance nor does it harm the brush (unless it is indeed due to soap residue over a long period of time). Bottom line, do not make an elephant out of a mosquito...
I guess it's the nature of certain types of knots to behave this way. My TGN Silvertip Grade A 22/50 does get crusty to certain degree while drying. It's not that extreme but it does it. I don't worry about it. I try to remember to run hand over the tips a few hours after using it. Otherwise, the TIPS ONLY become quite hard.

So is what the OP is describing expected or not? Thater's are expensive, and I know I would have high expectations. It seems that if the Thater people are acknowledging a problem then.something is really wrong. Maybe some.pics?

I have a TGN super silvertip that does the same thing. As soon as it is wet it works like a charm, when it dries it's crispy and crunchy like I've sprayed hairspray all over it.

Our moderators sure know how to pick our vendors to partner with. Way to go BullGoose for great customer service!

I have a 24mm and a 30mm thater. Never had that problem at all.I thoroughly rinse mine,good shakes to remove excess water and the a 24 hour upside down dry time.

Last edited:
I had a Thater two band for about three days. It was a limited edition SRP. I experienced the same thing with it, but did not think it was abnormal. I just thought it was the nature of the soft tips. Needless to say, I was not crazy about the brush for the price and ended up trading it. So, I will probably never buy a Thater again either, but for different reasons.

I will certainly deal with Bullgoose though!

I own a few Thater 3-band brushes and they all behave the same way: prickly and clumpy when dry, but very soft when wet. I think it's just the nature of the hair which is different from anything else I tried. I had a Rooney 1XL that did the same thing and other brushes to a lesser extent. I don't think it is a big deal at all, just run your fingers through the knot a couple of times and it will be fine. Or just let it be until you get it wet next time. Also, after you are done shaving, if you run it lightly a few times on a towel to fluff the hairs it might not do it at all, but it will still feel prickly when dry.

Never have had this problem with any brush I have owned. My D01's are as soft dried as wet and never a crusty feel.

The crusty tips don't disturb me. As others said, you rub your hand over the brush once or twice and it goes away. To each their own, though.

I've had 6 Thaters and since given 2 away to family. Never had an issue with any of them. I believe they're among the finest brushes made. This is quite an unusual problem and one I've never encountered in 45 years of wet shaving. I'd love to hear from others about what they think could cause this type of defect. I guess it would have to be somehow related to how they treated the badger hair, but it certainly is a mystery.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have a Thaeter 4125/1, it does the same. I think the hair is so dense and hairs are sticking together when wet, then they dry in smaller "clumps". If I brush it over my hand when dry, they all separate easily with one brushing. I do not see this to be a problem or a defect of the brush, as it does not reduce the performance of this great brush. My two-band Thaeter is not doing this, and I believe its a combination of very thin hair and extremely dense packed hair in the brush in question.
I also do rinse my brushes very thoroughly and this one is drying upside down in a stand; I use it tomorrow and dry it standing up.

The crusty tips don't disturb me. As others said, you rub your hand over the brush once or twice and it goes away. To each their own, though.

It seems that the OP is referring to a condition well beyond the normal slight stiffness after drying that, as you point out, is easily cleared by your hand.

Thater is absoulely among the finest brushes made. Mine dries hard and crusty but lathers with the softest tips I have ever experienced. The point is, I have never used a dry brush on my face and don't intend to. I don't understand why this is a problem. It's more of a curiosity to me.

Thater's claim procedure seems perfectly normal in the trade. If I may use an example, let's say a woman buys a Donna Karan dress from Bloomingdale's, and later finds the dress to be defective. The women would be expected to return the dress to Bloomingdale's, not to Donna Karan. Bloomingdale's would then seek restitution from Donna Karan New York.

While I cannot comment on Thater's response to Mr Huntsinger's (Bulldog) claim, it seems obvious that they made this decision without seeing the brush. It was a regrettable decision, Thater having released a justifiably angry customer into the wild to blog about his misfortune.

It is my understanding that in the German culture product issues/returns of this nature are always handled through the vendor or re-seller (akin to the example given above) and never through the original manufacturer. Basically, the buck stops at the vendor/re-seller. Now, I am not German, nor I have been to Germany, nor have ever attempted to return an item to a directly to a German manufacturer, so I very well could mistaken and/or ill informed. Point being -cultures differ, so Thater's response may not be all that "out of line" or infuriating in their culture. Hopefully a German member will be able to confirm or deny. Oh, and hats off to Phil.

I have a number of Thater's and everyone of them dries "crispier" than any other brush I have owned. Once wet the bristles are some of the softest and best performing I have had the pleasure of using.

It seems that the OP is referring to a condition well beyond the normal slight stiffness after drying that, as you point out, is easily cleared by your hand.

Or displaying a sensitivity well beyond normal. If I didn't already own this exact brush, I would call Phil and see if he would sell me this brush to see for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom