What's new

I want to smoke a cigar but don't want to look like a fool.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Instead of telling the new guy that almost every cigar is a piece of crap, why don't you tell him what you enjoy and let him make up his own mind.

+1

I don't know anything about cigars so I would find this helpful.

Anything by Arturo Fuente is a good cigar, there are many other brands that are just as good or better, but Fuente will be in any cigar shop and never disappoint. Just my opinion of course, but many people would agree.

Anything by Arturo Fuente is a good cigar, there are many other brands that are just as good or better, but Fuente will be in any cigar shop and never disappoint. Just my opinion of course, but many people would agree.
+1, My golf course cigar choice.

Drew

I Inhale my Cigars ! However , I do not buy Junk cigars either. if you want to try smoking Cigars you or anyone can got to Cigar international http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigars/ if you want or need help finding some Nice /Good Cigars there I can help with recommendations but I have no idea what your taste is .

When I smoked my first cigar, I accidentally inhaled (a reflex from my long-gone cigarette days). Thought I was going to die. Not like cigarette smoke at all.

Start with a nice, mild cigar. You might not want to try what your experienced friend is having. Some cigars you need to work up to. I suggest the Macanudo Portofino as a good first cigar. I will agree though, Arturo Fuente makes damn fine cigars. Just maybe not for your first one.

Despite what you see on TV or in the movies, DO NOT light your cigar with disposable lighters, Zippos, or worse, a candle. You will draw the unburned chemicals into the cigar, and it will taste like butane or parafin, etc. You can use a small butane torch-type lighter (you don't even to puff on the cigar to light it with those). Large wooden matches are good, but be sure to let them burn for a few seconds after striking to let the sulfur burn off before lighting the cigar. I here $100 bills are good for lighting cigars, so if you have the means, give it a whirl. :biggrin1:

I always blow a little puff out through the cigar after I light it. It's supposed to clear out anything drawn in during lighting that might ruin the flavor.

Choose a favorite beverage to go with the cigar. There are drinks that are supposed to go well with certain cigars, but you should choose something you like. Single-malt scotch might be the suggested drink to go with a particular cigar, but if you don't like scotch the cigar won't help, and you probably won't enjoy the cigar either.

Along similar lines... Don't smoke a cigar on an empty stomach.

Enjoy your first cigar. But as Gene Hackman said in "Crimson Tide" (after he unfortunately lit his fine smoke with a Zippo... Grrrrr...): "Well don't like it too much. They're more expensive than drugs."
:001_cool:

Let the smoke envelope your entire being as you become entranced by the smokey blue trails that dance gently around your aura.

I do not 'hard inhale' cigars but I do relax the smoke in my mouth allowing some smoke to gently waft through my nose.

Last edited:
Arturo fuente are good and are readily available. Hererra Esteli is also one of my favorites.

BTW never put a cigar out by mashing the lit end. When your done, just set it down and let it go out by itself. main thing to remember is to have fun with your friend.

Either cut or punch your cigar, never chew the end off it. Don't cut too much off or it will unravel while you smoke it. If you're not sure how much or little to cut off at first, set the open cutter flat on the table, stick the cigar in it, then cut it. It should cut off the perfect amount. Then take a puff. If you have a nice open draw then you are good to go, if it's a tight draw you may want to cut a little more.

When you light it, whether using a soft flame (from a lighter or matches) or a torch, you don't need to burn the hell out of it. Start off using the heat of the flame (not the flame) to evenly (rotate cigar) warm the foot. Once you do that then using the heat of the flame or torch to light it. Again, not the flame, the heat of the flame.

While you are smoking it, nice easy puffs. The LAST thing you want to do is 'hot box' the cigar. That's when you stoke the cigar until the cherry is glowing red. All that is going to do is singe the tobacco and give you a horrible harsh/burnt taste. Smoke it as cool as possible. You barely want the cherry glow. Nice easy puffs. The cooler, you can smoke it, the more pleasant it will be and the more flavors you will be able to pick up.

You are right about not inhaling. However, if you want to get the most out of your cigar, take a puff, let the smoke sit on your tongue for a second, exhale most of it through the mouth but exhale the last little bit of smoke through your nose like you would a cigarette. Just a little bit, otherwise it will burn your nose/sinuses. That little bit of smoke through your nose (called retrohale) is where you are going to pick up most of the flavor profile.

When you are done, let it sit in the ash tray and go out on its own. Never mash it out.

If you find yourself getting light headed or dizzy from the nicotine hit (nic sick) drink a coke or eat a candy bar. Sugar is your friend here. Usually when I'm smoking it's with a Rum and Coke anyways.

Starting out, I would recommend Alec Bradley Black Market, Arturo Fuente Hemingway, or Oliva. there are tons more too but that should get you started.

Anybody have any further thoughts on this? How do you avoid excess saliva, and icky saliva?

It's not a problem that happens only to new smokers. I've been smoking pipes for almost two years (cigars for about seven months) and I still salivate when smoking. Luckily, at least in this sense, I usually smoke in the company of only myself, and outside for that matter, and therefor can spit whenever the need arises. No, it's not classy or gentleman-like, and I'm certainly not proud of the deed, but it is what it is and what it is a physiological imperative that needs to be met... not simply a boorish act of inconsiderateness.

On a more positive note, I know for a fact that it lessens the effects of nicotine, and I've even convinced (fooled?) myself that it lessens the chances of developing certain cancers.

An Arturo Fuente might be a good starter. Maybe not a maduro, though.

Is the implication here that maduros are "stronger" (as in nicotine content) than other wrappers? If so, it's just a common myth that unfortunately contributes to new smokers missing out on a wonderful variety of cigars. Maduro is simply a designation given to wrappers that are processed/fermented more so than others, further developing the leaf's natural sugars. If anything, maduros are generally sweeter and less spicey than other cigars. Maduro wrapper cigars certainly can be strong in nicotine but that has nothing to do with the fact that they are maduro.

On a more positive note, I know for a fact that it lessens the effects of nicotine, and I've even convinced (fooled?) myself that it lessens the chances of developing certain cancers.

I imagine that, if anything, using mouthwash soon after smoking could help. However, alcohol is an irritant that could make it worse, so maybe a more gentle mouthwash than the hard stuff I usually use.

Also your username makes me think of this:
proxy.php

It's not a problem that happens only to new smokers. I've been smoking pipes for almost two years (cigars for about seven months) and I still salivate when smoking. Luckily, at least in this sense, I usually smoke in the company of only myself, and outside for that matter, and therefor can spit whenever the need arises. No, it's not classy or gentleman-like, and I'm certainly not proud of the deed, but it is what it is and what it is a physiological imperative that needs to be met... not simply a boorish act of inconsiderateness.

I don't smoke pipe tobacco, only cigars. I, too, salivate and feel the need to spit alot. Smoking while drinking (usually iced-tea for me) or eating snacks (chips and salsa) helps negate the need to spit, but I guess that I was just swallowing the saliva then.

I doubt that spitting helps negate the risk for cancers much...

Is the implication here that maduros are "stronger" (as in nicotine content) than other wrappers? If so, it's just a common myth that unfortunately contributes to new smokers missing out on a wonderful variety of cigars. Maduro is simply a designation given to wrappers that are processed/fermented more so than others, further developing the leaf's natural sugars. If anything, maduros are generally sweeter and less spicey than other cigars. Maduro wrapper cigars certainly can be strong in nicotine but that has nothing to do with the fact that they are maduro.

Well said.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I imagine that, if anything, using mouthwash soon after smoking could help. However, alcohol is an irritant that could make it worse, so maybe a more gentle mouthwash than the hard stuff I usually use.

Also your username makes me think of this:
proxy.php

It's pronounced Throatwarbler Mangrove.

Is the implication here that maduros are "stronger" (as in nicotine content) than other wrappers? If so, it's just a common myth that unfortunately contributes to new smokers missing out on a wonderful variety of cigars. Maduro is simply a designation given to wrappers that are processed/fermented more so than others, further developing the leaf's natural sugars. If anything, maduros are generally sweeter and less spicey than other cigars. Maduro wrapper cigars certainly can be strong in nicotine but that has nothing to do with the fact that they are maduro.[/QUOTE]

I think the same can be said regarding the color of wrappers in general. Lighter color (Connecticut) is not always indicative of a milder, lighter cigar. At the same token a darker (maduro, habano, etc.) does not always lead to a fuller bodied experience. To say "avoid maduro" will certainly limit your experience.

Sampler packs are great. Try everything from spicy and full bodied to grassy and mild and develop your flavor profile of choice. I started off enjoying mild-medium and now I smoke almost exclusively full flavored spice sticks because it's what I like.

I'd try the local B&M to see what they've got. Always good to maintain a relationship with the local tobacconist.

CI is great. Cigarbid is great as well, and some great deals can be had if you pay attention.

Top Bottom