What's new

I want to smoke a cigar but don't want to look like a fool.

It's not a problem that happens only to new smokers. I've been smoking pipes for almost two years (cigars for about seven months) and I still salivate when smoking. Luckily, at least in this sense, I usually smoke in the company of only myself, and outside for that matter, and therefor can spit whenever the need arises. No, it's not classy or gentleman-like, and I'm certainly not proud of the deed, but it is what it is and what it is a physiological imperative that needs to be met... not simply a boorish act of inconsiderateness.

On a more positive note, I know for a fact that it lessens the effects of nicotine, and I've even convinced (fooled?) myself that it lessens the chances of developing certain cancers.

Is the implication here that maduros are "stronger" (as in nicotine content) than other wrappers? If so, it's just a common myth that unfortunately contributes to new smokers missing out on a wonderful variety of cigars. Maduro is simply a designation given to wrappers that are processed/fermented more so than others, further developing the leaf's natural sugars. If anything, maduros are generally sweeter and less spicey than other cigars. Maduro wrapper cigars certainly can be strong in nicotine but that has nothing to do with the fact that they are maduro.

That is factually correct, in that the wrapper color has little effect on the strength of the cigar, however, it is generally a safe assumption for a new cigar smoker that a darker cigar is usually stronger. The cigar industry is well aware of this generalization and adhere to it more often than not, in my experience. So the advice to a new cigar smoker to steer away from maduro cigars at first is a solid tip.

Also, to the OP, despite previous misguided comments to the contrary, there are an abundance of outstanding cigars sold & smoked in the U.S. While there are also a ton of gas station & drug store brands sold, your local tobacconist is highly unlikely to sell any of that crap, and will instead steer you to one or more of the many high quality hand made premium cigars sold in the U.S., and will help you figure out what you might like.

There are also quality cigars for any budget, from a couple bucks a stick to as much as your wallet can stand. Find a good local shop, and you will also likely find that they have a lounge area where there will be a wide range of demographics represented, from the average Joe to a well-heeled business type, all gathering just because they want to smoke a good cigar among others that enjoy the same.

Last edited:
Inhale = cough up your spleen!
Start out with a mild Connecticut shade wrapper vs. Maduro maybe.
Clip, punch or bite the end before lighting.
When you do light it, don't light it like a cigarette. Hold the cigar between your thumb and fingers and roll the tip over the flame to get the ash going. Then gently (and I mean gently) puff out through the cigar to remove any lighter fuel flavor.
Now, puff away and enjoy the rich tobacco flavor of the cigar.

Top Bottom