What's new

I want to replace my AOS pure badger

Hiya,

One of the wisest things I did was to buy the Forum Brush. I love it. That said, my AOS brush that has served me faithfully is now beginning to lose hairs from the center, which is not a good thing according to TESCo.

My idea was to use the B&B Std. Silvertip for creams and the next brush for soaps, which I seem to be getting into. As if my particular AD wasn't bad enough...

So, what brush would you advise? Are there flaws with my "battle plan" ? What grade brush do you use for soaps?

Comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance,

I also would like to add a new brush to my lineup. I do have a Vulfix 2234, and it's great, but I am looking for something with less bloom, and a bit denser and stiffer; not too much, though. I find the really stiff ones irritating. Would the Shavemac Finest fit the bill? Thanks. Best - MM

I would highly recommend taking advantage of any of the B&B Finest that may come up in the Shave Mall! The fact that they are densely packed is what the deciding factor was for me when I ordered mine. Of course, I "needed" a Silver Tip, too! :biggrin:

Kyle always gives good advice, too! :thumbup:

Tchau,
chop-chop

What do you use the Shavemac Finest for: creams or soaps?

Thanks.

Though it should perform well for you with either medium, it should really do good things for you with the soaps. They're also fairly easy on the pocketbook.

I also would like to add a new brush to my lineup. I do have a Vulfix 2234, and it's great, but I am looking for something with less bloom, and a bit denser and stiffer; not too much, though. I find the really stiff ones irritating. Would the Shavemac Finest fit the bill? Thanks. Best - MM

In Shavemac's grading system (Pure - Finest - Silvertip) the finest is going to be a bit scritchier thant the silvertip, though I wouldn't imagine enough so that you would find it irritating. If you really want a dense and stiff brush that is also VERY soft on the face, the silvertip may suit you better.

I don't think the Shavemac will have less bloom than the 2234, as it has a bigger knot and higher loft. Although I don't own one, a Rooney in finest and a small size may fit the bill. Perhaps one of the Saville row silvertips in either a 20mm or 18mm knot. I like the smaller brushes too, but the only brush I have with those attributes is an Omega No. 5(smaller wood handle), although it is a boar bristle.

In Shavemac's grading system (Pure - Finest - Silvertip) the finest is going to be a bit scritchier thant the silvertip, though I wouldn't imagine enough so that you would find it irritating. If you really want a dense and stiff brush that is also VERY soft on the face, the silvertip may suit you better.

Do you find that there is a difference between the AOS Pure badger that I have now, and the Shavemac Finest, that you suggested?

Thanks in advance,

I have only handled the AOS Pure in a store and have never lathered or shaved with it. Neither have I had the opportunity to do a side by side comparison. That being said, it is my opinion that the Shavemac has greater body/substance/density and feels like a higher quality instrument.

Worst case scenario - if you buy the brush and don't like it, I don't imagine it would even take you a whole day to sell it in the trade forum and get most of your money back. Heck, I might even buy it off of you.

Heck, if I wasn't about to order a couple of strops from Tony Miller, I'd probably be ordering a shavemac finest myself. I have a Vulfix 2235 that's great with creams, but it's just a bit soft for me to really get after a soap. For those I still go back to my Edwin Jagger best.

+1 on the Shavemac in Finest, and at about $70.00, one of the best deals going.

-Shavemac in Finest for Soaps?
-It's a first class performer?
-How much irritation will I get from the brush?
-How does it compare to the B&B Std. Silvertip?

Top Bottom