What's new

I want to make 1 good razor from 2 bad ones. Who can do this for me?

Here's the story:

I have a razor with ivory scales, with a terrible blade.

I have another razor with a great blade...but terrible scales.

I want to take the blade from the damaged scales razor, and swap it out with the broken blade from the ivory scales.

Is there anyone (preferably in Australia?) who could do this for me? And what would it cost?

It can be done however ivory scales typically are very thin and brittle, thus some risk when removing. The blades need to be of similar size to ensure the scale fit properly.

I am in South Africa and cant help.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
@Legion might have an idea. He is a Straight Razor man. Also a photo or two of the razors would be very helpful.

Legion

Staff member
Happy to provide advise, but I generally retreat from messing with other peoples razors, especially removing precious ivory scales.

Having said that, I have done a number of my own with success, so if I can answer questions I will.

There is a dude in QLD who restores, and has been recommended to me. No personal experience with his work, but he was recommended by someone who knows his stuff, so PM me if you would like me to pass on the details.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, guys!

Yes, I'm aware of how thin ivory scales are, that's what kinda made me nervous, but...I just feel bad about wasting them, y'know?

Will post photos soon!

There are so many different ways to remove a pin from a set of scales and they all have their risks and sometimes when dealing with ivory its left up to a professional. Even a professional will even state there are no guarantees and there are risks involved with ivory. The only safest way is removal with hand tools and the least destructive as possible. I have seen someone drill a hole in thin sheet metal to match the pin size and use it as a protective shield for the scales while filing down the pin till the pin was gone as much as possible. Then separate the scales gingerly....am I saying to do that, heck no unless you've done it or confident in your skills to do so. I have 1 set of ivory scales that obviously someone with skill separated them, it is so rare to see them with no blade in them let alone one that has been removed safely, its like seeing a unicorn. At first I thought mine were bone or celluloid, but I got up the nerve to do a hot pin test and they were ivory even to my surprise. Im waiting for that special one of a kind blade for them because once they are pinned I'm not undoing them.

Larry

Well, I'm back!

This week, I decided to tackle this thing head-on! It wasn't without casualties (I cracked the ivory - Waaah!! :'( ) but - I did achieve my mission!

PART ONE: Teardown

Removing the good blade from the broken scales, and the broken blade from the good scales.

I saved the pin and washers from the broken scales, to recycle them into the replacement scales, along with the replacement blade which I was going to use.

blade01.jpg
blade02.jpg
blade03.jpg

The old blade - with hardly any "blade" left, so to speak...

blade04.jpg

I did crack the ivory around the rivet-hole when I removed the pin to take out the worn-out blade, but I glued it all back together and reinforced it with some very thin sheet steel...

blade05.jpg
blade06.jpg

Once the epoxy had dried sufficiently for me to handle things, I put the new blade back in (making sure it was the right way around, of course!!), along with the replacement pin, and the original washers and collars...

blade07.jpg

I very carefully reassembled the entire thing, and then left it overnight to dry - moving the blade occasionally to prevent any epoxy from setting on the blade by accident...

blade08.jpg

PART TWO: Reconstruction...

Once the glue was dried, the next step was to fit everything back together, drop in the final washers around the pin - and attempt the one action which I was sure might end in failure - peening over the head of the pin to secure everything in place!

I had serious misgivings about whether the repaired scales would be able to withstand the shock of the hammer-blows. I put everything up on my jeweler's anvil and got out a small hammer. I filed down the excess pin-head, then started hammering away.

It took considerably more effort than I had anticipated just to mushroom-over the head of the pin and get things properly tight, but the scales held together and didn't shatter and break! The razor swings on the pin and opens and closes perfectly - no wobbling, and no striking the sides of the scales on the way down, showing that it was perfectly centered!

The final steps were a bit of sanding and filing to tidy everything up, and then - sharpening!

The final results of my efforts are shown below. I threw in the original blade that came with the ivory scales, just to show the contrast between before-and-after.

Considering that this was my first-ever straight-razor repair-job of this magnitude, I think I can call it success...

razor01.jpg
razor02.jpg
razor03.jpg

I have seen someone drill a hole in thin sheet metal to match the pin size and use it as a protective shield for the scales while filing down the pin till the pin was gone as much as possible.
Larry

That's what I do.
If you've got a can of coke and a belt punch that's all you need.
PXL_20201205_134202018.jpg

I just use flush cutters...
Please don't do this on ivory. Flush cutters put a lot of downward pressure on the near scale and pull up on the pin putting pressure on the far scale.

IMO the only safe way to remove pins (specially on ivory) is to drill them out. After drilling out the pin, lift the near scale off the pin. Don't try to tap it through the other side, I have seen more bent pins than straight ones.

Yes not on ivory, too brittle. I was not considering this post in my reply, apologies. Flush cutters is my typical tool of choice but not for everything.

Top Bottom