What's new

I tried using a cartridge again as an experiment

In a pinch, i shave with a cartridge. If i need to fly for a weekend somewhere and don't want to check my bags, I'll bring a cartridge along.

My experience is that I can get just as good a 3~4 pass shave with a single blade cartridge as I can with a DE - just takes more buffing work at the end. For me... it's all about the prep. I can tell how my shave is going to go while I am lathering. I'm pretty good at it but there are day/day variations. Particularly since I am a face latherer and pick up additional water by lightly dipping the rush in the sink. Good prep / good lather = good shave. I would say ~80% of the shave is the prep.

This morning, I got a three passes shave with a TRAC II cartridge on a "Rasage classique" handle and Castle Forbes Lime Cream. I got a BBS with absolutely no irritation, which is pretty rare for me, when I have only 24 h of growth. :001_smile
As stated previously, I still prefer DE for the diversity of the razors and the blades, and especially for the cost compared to more modern shaving systems, but from time to time, I may use TRAC II or even my old Mach 3 handle, just for fun. A lot of the skills gained from DE wetshaving are useful for cartridge shaving.
I have also tried to shave with canned foam, but whatever I do, this stuff always ends up being to dry and sticky, and the blade will never cut as well than with a cream or soap.
It takes just three minutes more to apply a shaving cream with a boar brush instead of canned foam, on my typical two or three passes routine, so why bother with anything else?:001_302:

Top Bottom