What's new

I tried using a cartridge again as an experiment

I certainly love my DE shaves. Before I switched, with a cartridge I always used the canned goo and shaved in the shower. If I ever went against the grain you could be sure I would get a lot of ingrown hairs!

I've been exclusively shaving with DE's for over two (three maybe) years now. Just this last week my wife's best friend gave me a gift box of dollar shave club gear (she works for them). She had heard that I'm a "shaving guy" from my wife, and was trying to be nice :)

So I thought this was a good time to use a cartridge again and compare. I put my new 5 blade razor in the shower with some of the shave butter from DSC. I hopped in the shower, washed my face, did a normal shower; then lathered up with the shave butter and went to work.

Back when I used cartridges in the past I normally did a single pass. With a DE I usually do three passes, so I figured I would do the same to make the comparison fair.

The shave went reasonably well. It was difficult to go back to the handle so perpendicular to my face, but I got used to it quick. The shave butter was slick, and the shave was pretty comfortable.

I used the alum block when I was done and I had very little irritation. It was a pretty gentle shave. But when I was done and checked the quality of the shave it was not even what I would consider a DFS. I could feel whiskers everywhere if I ran my hand against the grain of my whiskers. And by noon that day I felt like I had more growth than I would have after 24 hours of my normal shaves.

All in all it was fine to get something done quick. But doing 3 passes made it not as much quicker than a DE shave, and the results were significantly worse. I think I'll stick to my DE's even while traveling...

And today I used the following:

Rockwell 6S on 6 with a Weber Bulldog Handle
Fine Accoutrements Green Vetiver Soap
Stirling Glastonbury A/S

It feels so good to be back. I shaved at about 7:00 AM this morning, and at 3:36 at the time of this post my face is much more clean shaven than my face immediately after the dollar shave club razor shave. Unbelievable!

And today I used the following:

Rockwell 6S on 6 with a Weber Bulldog Handle
Fine Accoutrements Green Vetiver Soap
Stirling Glastonbury A/S

It feels so good to be back. I shaved at about 7:00 AM this morning, and at 3:36 at the time of this post my face is much more clean shaven than my face immediately after the dollar shave club razor shave. Unbelievable!
Did you do three passes with level 6?

I sort of do the same when I visit the folks and don't bring the gear.

Even when using a brand new Mach III blade ... it feels like I'm dragging a grater on my face. I can barely handle two passes...

The test is when applying the aftershave and it's never good. It tells me the irritation was something awful.

Nuff said...

Interesting. I also get a vastly better shave with the DE safety razor than I did with the cartridge and can in the shower. The razor helps, obviously. But I think part of that is due to shaving at the sink, which always produced better results, and part of it is using soap and a brush rather than a can. The canned foam had some good ingredients (I used red Noxzema, the best of the lot ime), but it's just too airy and dry. I was never happy with any of the cans, including the ones that produced a gel. That technology produces speed and convenience, but not good shaves. So try the cartridge at the sink with a good soap and brush, and report back!

My experience is the complete opposite. After going back to my Sensor I found to my surprise it now gives a shave that's on par with some of my favorite blades. I was amazed. Good prep, technique (although not much is required) and a good soap or cream seem to make all the difference. I'm not surprised men switched to carts by the droves when they came out. No de blade comes close after a single pass, although I use a twin cart so that's apples and oranges I guess. I still prefer my de but more for the experience and cheap price of blades than the shave itself. I enjoy the time spent on a 3 pass de shave, but even late in the evening my stubble is no worse when I use my Sensor for a single pass shave. I don't have a coarse or particularly thick beard though, and I do have very sensitive skin, so the canned goo paired with no prep was likely the culprit of my irritation and red bumpy neck, not the razor.

It has been my experience that the DE gives a closer shave than the multi blade cartridge. I have never had closer shaves than with the DE.
Comparisons on a single pass seem unreasonable as the DE technique is gradual reduction whereas cartridges are meant to deliver a close finish with a single pass. I assume all the multi blades are cutting on that single pass. I have to add that I have never ventured beyond 2 blade cartridges (TracII & Contour) so 5 blade cartridges are outside my experience.

I found that cartridges constantly clog, and are far harder to clear than my DE (spin the knob, rinse, close it up). I often go a day or two between shaves, so that's a bigger consideration than 'Can this expensive multi-blade give me a decent shave'.

I get great shaves with my cartridge razor, which I take with me when I go on plane flights without checking a bag. Traditional wet shaving has made my technique better. I always look forward to the change of pace. Any time you change tools, you have to vary your technique. If you don't, a poor experience is not the tool's fault.

Funny thing. I had the same result when I tried to go back to DE after a few decades with cartridges. I gave DE a month to be sure and nearly every day had cuts or weepers.

Just saying that not everyone's face is the same.

I bought a Trac II handle and a few blades a month or so ago just to experiment with it as well. The light weight of the razor isn't as appealing as a DE and I don't like all that plastic dragging against my skin but when using a brush and soap I get as good a shave as with a DE.

I do multiple passes as well. It's a fun way to experiment with technique as you are less likely to cut yourself regardless of what you do. I only have 5 Trac II blades and I don't plan on buying any more for a while but it is fun to pull out every now and then.

It's definitely a better experience now with my more improved technique for DE's and with the brush and soap.

I don't have any design to play around with the 5 bladed cartridge monstrosities. :)

Since switching to DE and SE razors two years ago, I've yet to bring a cartridge razor back to my face. I may have to when I take a trip to Alaska here soon.

Better prep and better technique developed with a DE should also result in a better shave with a cart IME.

I specifically used their shave butter because I wanted to try it as part of the experience. It was very slick. But not having the prep with the brush could certainly have affected the closeness of the shave. I'll try it again with a good soap and brush at some point, but its hard to skip what I know will be a great shave!

Top Bottom