What's new

I Thought Super Speeds Were Suposed to be Mild

One of my clients was cleaning out her childhood home and came across some razors that she brought to me - a 1930s short comb New, a 1965 Slim Adjustable, and a (likely) 1948 Super Speed. She has allowed me to use them while determining if her one brother wants them.

The Super Speed has the box, has the notches in the bar, and the box is cardboard, which as far as I can tell dates it to 1948. It is in very good condition - very lightly used.

I have used it three times now, and I am surprised at how aggressive it is. I mean, I really feel the blade. This surprises me, as I have read many times that they are mild razors. I am getting very good shaves with it, but I certainly feel it.

I started it with a new Personna Lab Blue. I used it twice, and my face was burning most of the day. Today I swapped it out for a blade (Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow) I had been using in my Slim Adjustable, set on 5. In the Slim it has been wonderful. But I felt it a lot more with the Super Speed.

I had started that 7 O'Clock Yellow in a Maggard V3 that I got, intending it to be an inexpensive travel razor, and it felt very rough. It cut me. After a a few tries I was going to trash it, but then decided to try it in my Slim. Very nice blade in the Slim, sharp and smooth.

I ask this because I am thinking of getting some Super Speeds to give to family members. It would be their first DE razor in most cases. If my experience with this SS is any indication, I am not sure I want to do that.

Maybe it is just a matter of getting to know the razor, and paying closer attention to not applying pressure, etc. I normally use a Slim Adjustable, and it is fairly forgiving. I also use a Merkur Progress, and I have to pay more attention with that one, though I usually get a very good shave with it.

Maybe a different blade would help? In my (limited and inexpert) experience my Slim on 5 is about the same as my 40's Super Speed. They do prefer different blades though. The SS is my usual daily driver for my face and I use the Slim for my head exclusively, so I don't have a lot of face miles on the Slim. Possibly you got a slightly more aggressive SS? Quality control isn't perfect so there is always some variation.

My answer is kind of rambling and not very helpful I'm afraid. I guess I'm saying you shouldn't give up on the SS line without some more research.

Assume everything aligns on the SS as it should I have not encountered a SS that I'd describe as aggressive. What number do you usually set your Slim on?

Check to make sure the doors are fully closing tightly without gaps and blade alignment is even. I have limited experience with the SS but much experience with Gillette TTO's in general and improperly closing razor will definitely increase felt blade exposure. The general consensus is that Super Speeds are mild so this is certainly unusual. Good luck.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Some pictures would help! We love pictures! I have heard the 40s SS's are the most efficient of that type.

Kindly,
Adam

I agree photos might be helpful I wouldn't consider any of my Super Speeds "aggressive" even the Red Tips
proxy.php

I wouldn't call the no date code 40's style Super speed mild or aggressive. The rigid blade edge gives people the illusion that it is mild because of how smooth it is.

I like the NDC 40's style Super speed better than the ones with date codes. They have slightly different heads, and I find the NDC 40's style Super speed to be noticeably smoother.

Check to make sure the doors are fully closing tightly without gaps and blade alignment is even. I have limited experience with the SS but much experience with Gillette TTO's in general and improperly closing razor will definitely increase felt blade exposure. The general consensus is that Super Speeds are mild so this is certainly unusual. Good luck.

+1. Blade chatter will definitely not make it a mild. Make sure she's cinched down tight.

Sometimes I think there is a difference between aggressive as in feel and aggressive as in blade exposure.

I agree that a Super Speed can feel aggressive or sharp on the face regardless of the level of aggressiveness attributed to blade exposure. The "face feel," though could be a number of things such as mentioned above: blade, malfunction, angle and so forth. Just my two cents.

I would not call them aggressive, just different geometry in the head. I've noticed that when I switch from the normal Blue Tip I use to another razor like the Flair Tip, it feels more aggressive at first, until I get used to it.

Do you plan on keeping the SC NEW, or passing this on?

The razors are not mine (so far), so I don't yet know their final disposition. My client wanted to give them to me, but I suggested that since these razors belonged to her father and grandfather, she might ask her brother if he wants them. We are awaiting a decision. I cleaned them up in the mean time, and was given the OK to use them as well. I am using the SS and will also use the New, as I have never used either before.

The New has significant plating loss on the head, and some on the base of the handle. It was apparently used for a long time. The Slim has been used, but it is in decent condition. The SS is in excellent condition. I would post pictures but photobucket has been down all day.

I like my NEW, but have noticed that when I use it, I have to slow down and use a blade that has a good balance of smooth and sharp. The Blue Tip has made me extremely lazy!:laugh:

I have 2 flair tips. I definetely wanna see how it compares to the '40s super speed. I also want all the types of super speeds.

As others have said, checking that the doors are closing tight would be my first thought. My other thought is the blade. Recently discovered what I was calling the Lab Blue is actually the barber blade (plain white paper wrapper), these blades really seem pretty hit and miss on quality control. The more I use them the less I like them.

I am running a 7 O'clock Stay Sharp (Yellow Box) in my 1954 Super Speed Flare Tip and get a wonderful shave. Use the 7 O'clock Stay Sharp in my slim get the same shave you describe... I think a lot of it is getting a handle on the razor but the blade and razor combo that is right for you goes a long way to making it work as well.

I just used that Personna blade in my Slim set at 5. Nice shave, there is nothing wrong with that blade. I will try it again in the SS, working on technique. The doors were tightly closed on the SS before, so perhaps it is a matter of learning the new razor. I have used the slim almost exclusively for over 18 months.

Top Bottom