What's new

I Thought Super Speeds Were Suposed to be Mild

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Have you considered polishing it up.

Here's a video I found instructive.

I purchased on Amazon all the implements and chemicals he suggests using. I'm also considering buying a $30-$35 ultrasound cleaner (there are many post on B&B about using them).

Although most all of the razors I've purchased and received are shiny, and as good or better than the seller represented them to be, so they don't need cleaning and polishing, I know that won't always be the case.

I have in transit two or three or four razors which I know aren't going to arrive looking great. My plan is to do a little minor cosmetic restoration as described in the video. It does not look like anything beyond the capacity of someone like me (or, I venture to suggest, you).

If cleaning and polishing old razors makes some of them look like the very nice razors I've bought and received that might mean the guys selling the shiny razors are buying ugly razors at yard sales and running them through an ultrasound cleaner and selling them at big markups to guys like me and you who like shiny objects.

Of course, cleaning and polishing doesn't turn a Yugo into a Lexus.

There are also on B&B tutorials on repairing razors. Esox put a link to one of them in post #257 in the Damn Comfortable Shave thread.

I don't expect too much when I buy a $10 razor, but sometimes we're pleasantly surprised, right?

There's a guy who has a beautiful Toggle. He says he paid $1.55 for it. I'd give him $1.75 and even pay the postage.

Happy shaves,

Jim

chan, if you were addressing this post to me, I'm not terribly concerned and I have probably as much as I'd use to clean up and polish a razor already.

Now, back to the topic, I did today's shave with my '64 SS using the same Astra blade as was in the old style SS. It had one shave on it. I used a different brush and cream (T&H superbadger made by Rooney and TOBS Lavender) but found the shave comparable between the two razors. Not enough difference to note. Both the old and new style SS razors that I own are what I would call mild, efficient, and well balanced. Needless to say, not having used the blue or red tip versions, my comments are limited to the old style and flare tip SS.

My mildest Super Speed is my 67 (M1) Black Handle. My oldest is a D1 58 Flare Tip. I notice it is slightly more aggressive than the Black Handle, but still pretty mild. No experience with the older NDC models to compare.

I start back up with the Flare Tip tomorrow, (this week has been my I2(63) Slim - set on 5) I usually use GSB's and Astra SP's with them. Although I had a good experience with a Feather in the Black Handle once. Previously Feather blades and my face did not get along.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I have a D2 SS and I find it a very mild shaver. I have a Gillette yellow in it with 10 shaves on it now and its a 3 pass razor with 1-2 clean up passes with that blade, even after 10 shaves. Smooth and comfortable, but not as close a shave as my 1940 Regent Tech, nor as smooth as my NEW SC.

Blade profiles. SS on the left, Regent on the right.

D2SS.jpg Regent.jpg

I think the Regent has the blade profile more of an OLD type than most Gillette TTO's given the shape of the safety bar. The SS is a smoother shaver. The Regent a more effective shaver. I believe the Regent Tech was only made for the one year, but not 100% sure.

I remember the advertisements. "...You'll look sharp and feel shape, too, with the razor that is built for you. Light, heavy, and reg-u-lar. What a way to get a perfect shave!"

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim -
I think I remember a version which ended, "light, regular, heavy, say; get a modern Gillette shave today."

Good times, Ron

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
There are many versions of the lyrics; I can't find all of them. The music was very popular and played by high school bands and big name orchestras.

Top Bottom